Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Planning the move!

OK, I'm starting to think about the route for the trip north to HHS. It looks like it will be a "dude trip" with some friends and the wife will drop us off at Deltaville then meet us a few days later at HHS.

I'm thinking Deltaville-Reedville day one. Reedville to Soloman's day two, and Soloman's-HHS day three. I'm not hard over on Reedville, but figured the crew might enjoy dinner at the Crazy Crab. As to timing I'm also thinking sometime after April 16th, so the Tiki Bar at Soloman's will be open when we get there, again to stimulate my crew's interest in making this trip with me.

Anyone got any suggestions for a more entertaining route that's still doable in 3 days? Any ideas on the most advantageous time to make the trip between mid April and the end of May?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Can't help you on specifics, since we generally looked for the opposite - undeveloped anchorages - but looks like a good trip. Fair winds!
Old 03-20-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Anyone got any suggestions for a more entertaining route that's still doable in 3 days? Any ideas on the most advantageous time to make the trip between mid April and the end of May?
midlife,

We did that trip last October: used to keep out boat in Solomons. We make it a point to always skip Reedville, but that is a longstanding (olfactory) prejudice. You can extend the 1st leg to Lookout Point Marina (with a restaurant). It is located on the North side of the mouth of the Potomac. (raster attached). If the day is benign, you can put the sometimes lumpy mouth of the Potomac behind you the 1st day and shorten the run to Solomons the next day.

The entrance is easier than it looks - I drag 6'2" of lead around the marks without a bump (yet). You can see the marina just above chart center. You can hang for free on the pier for dinner at the restaurant then anchor in either Ck. with good holding and great scenery.

Last edited by wwilson; 03-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

midlife,

If Point Lookout is a creek too far, when you get to the Great Wicomico River Light, bear to port and enter Mill Ck instead of going up the river to Reedville. No restaurants in Mill Ck., but one of the prettiest (and least visited) creeks on the Western Shore. Great anchorage with 8' depths right up to the tree line in many places. There is deep water all the way in the entrance to the creek, but it is narrow at the entrance.

There is also a big bight just inside Sandy Point in the Wicomico R. that provides surprisingly good protection and good holding. Turn to port on entrance at Flashing Green "9". You can anchor in 8-9 ft within 3-4 of boat-lengths of the south shore. This spot will minimize retracing yesterday's wake next morning.

Last edited by wwilson; 03-20-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Sandy Point
Old 03-21-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I concur with Wayne, gosh, Reedville is one of the places on The Bay that I avoid. Having spent a night there many years ago, it was like sleeping in a cat food can, with a very strong odor. If it were me, I would opt for Tangier Island, but controlling depth from The Bay side is critical, be sure . Smith Creek (as noted above, just NW of Pt Lookout is an ideal place to head for. The last time I was there, summer of 07, it had excellent facilities, although I don't recall the restaurant. The trip to Solomons is an easy run up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
...it was like sleeping in a cat food can...
Great characterization Joe,

And why is it that Chesapeake Bay Magazine has at least one article every year telling us what a great stop it is, and that the "cat food" factory is now closed?

As we rounded Smith Point on a crisp fall day last October the menhaden effluvium plumb was still able to catch us clear out on the Potomac.

Last edited by wwilson; 03-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
One more thought - fill your dinghy's fuel tank with gas before leaving Deltaville - the marina at D'ville is one of the few with non-ethanol gas - you won't find many further north.

Second the vote for Mill Creek, we stayed there on our way south last autunm and found it quite hospitable.
Old 03-24-2010

Thanks for the input folks. I'm thinking through the suggestions. The bight behind Sandy Point is one of my favorite anchorages, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again, so that's a possiblity though it may provoke a mutiny. Mill Creek could also be a possiblity since it entails less backtracking.

We did Deltaville to Saint Mary's one long and brutal day last season, so the far side of the Potomac might be doable and would allow for a more leisurely start on the leg to Soloman's.

Tangier is probably out. There is zero for night life there, and the crew could get rowdier on the boat in an anchorage. I visit Tangier once or twice a year by air so it holds no particular facination for me to visit by boat.

I've heard Reedville can be stinky if the wind isn't right, but was hoping to catch a break. The smell may be the winning arguement to pick one of the great anchorages off the Great Wicomico if it looks like the far side of the Potomac won't be doable the first day.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
...pick one of the great anchorages off the Great Wicomico if it looks like the far side of the Potomac won't be doable the first day.
Gosh, I delivered my old 22' boat from Smith Creek to Mobjack Bay (2nd day leg) in a single day. I did have a broad reach to help out and it took about 15 hours (July a few years ago).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
Gosh, I delivered my old 22' boat from Smith Creek to Mobjack Bay (2nd day leg) in a single day. I did have a broad reach to help out and it took about 15 hours (July a few years ago).
Yeah, I could definitely make Solomans' the 1st day if I motored, and HHS the second, but I want to sail as much as possible, and I don't really want to have to be moving from dawn til dusk. When we bought the boat, it was moved from Haver de Grace to Deltaville in 2 days, so I know I could get to HH in the same time if I wanted. It is a delivery, but the idea is to have some fun along the way. And that fun will mean some of my crew will not exactly be "morning people".

The trip to St. Marys I referenced, was a beat into a NW wind from Stingray up to the Potomac then motoring straight into the wind up the Potomac to the St Mary's River where we could sail again. It made for a long rough sail, so that's my reference for how far we can reasonably expect to make per day sailing. A run or a beat will be more common than a reach when going up the bay.

If weather or crew availablity become constraints, we'll aim for Solomans day one and plan on motoring the whole trip, but that's not my preference.