SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Swimming in the Bay?

10K views 46 replies 34 participants last post by  boz86 
#1 ·
I would like to know how others feel about swimming in the Chesapeake Bay. I keep the swimming to a minimum (checking out the boat bottom, prop, etc.), and I try (not always sucessfully) to keep the kids out.
Am I too paranoid? Are there "cleaner" areas, and areas to avoid?

#2 ·
The bay in general is pretty nasty IMO. A friend of mine got a bacterial infection diving on his boat, ate some skin off his leg but he was fine. Last year I dove on my boat in a swimsuit, this year I have a wet suit.

I personally feel that the deeper areas have a little less nastiness than the shallows by the docks. Plus, people put strange things in the water near docks and land.

YMMV

#28 ·
The bay in general is pretty nasty IMO. A friend of mine got a bacterial infection diving on his boat, ate some skin off his leg but he was fine. Last year I dove on my boat in a swimsuit, this year I have a wet suit.

I personally feel that the deeper areas have a little less nastiness than the shallows by the docks. Plus, people put strange things in the water near docks and land.

YMMV
Just how exactly does a wet suit help prevent/reduce bacterial infection? :confused:

#5 ·
Swim as much as you like, but...

Not in marina areas. Many forbid it for safety reasons... and it is done for maintanance anyway.
* Some folks pump their heads.
* Minimize swimming in fresh water areas after flooding events. Saltwater tend to kill everything pathenogenic within a day.
* Trafic is deadly.
* Electricity can "leak" into the water from many sources. There have been fatailities. I'm not saying I havn't doe it, but it is something to be VERY aware of.

Don't try to keep the kids out of the water! Soon enough they we be too old to be kids. If they failed to explore the things kids should explore when young, it will be OUR FAULT. If I can't jump in the water with my kids and her friends, I'ld sell the boat today... as it is, we've been swimming in the Bay for 50 years and loving it.

Forums are populated by a cautious and conservative lot. Always consult multiple sources of information.

#6 ·
We have been swimming in the Bay all these many years without any issues. Heck, we spend hours at a time just floating and lazying around. Adults, kids, pets.

We don't swim in municipal areas (run-off, "drainage", etc), or at marinas (electricity).

It's heavily sedimented water, more like a river than a lake or the ocean. That takes some getting used to if you've only ever been in pools and the like.

When the jellyfish show up (usually just after 4th of July), we don't go in much. That's one of the reasons we don't sail a whole lot during the peak summer months -- too hot and can't swim because of the jellies. But it's definitely not water quality that keeps us out.

#7 ·
We swim, float and play...we often spent hours hanging on a trailing line as young adults, as the boat sailed briskly along...often we would hang on to the next persons ankles and someone on my ankles to about 4 or 5 people...and if someone let go, we practiced MOB drill...too much fun.

Kids have always stayed too long in the water...cold, purple, shivers...but seem to be no worse for the experience. Often a warm rinse off, otherwise a drip dry with no ill effects.

Now we swim and float. No real worries about the water quality. If it is too cold, we may don a suit. Visibility too poor for scuba in most places

DOwnsides...scraping and bottom work WILL turn up tons of nasties, that you should not drink/eat or scrape against as they will easily infect.
Marinas are full of other risks that we choose not to play with. Will stain light colored bathing suits..

Best of luck.

#9 ·
We haven't swam in the Bay for many years now...reluctant to even scrape the prop. There have been too many cases of nasty infections from skinned knuckles -- bacterial infections that have to be treated for months with aggressive antibiotics.

A doctor, while swimming in the Magothy, scratched his hand, cleaned it thoroughly with antiseptic but still developed a 6 month wound, he later found these type of infections weren't being medically documented. He wrote the article for The Chesapeake Bay Magazine.

Ask any Waterman if he would swim.

If you do swim, make sure you're not downstream of a sewage plant., such as on the Corsica, off the Chester River, or downstream of Baltimore.

As the water temperature rises the threat also rises.

Ronbo

#11 ·
Mainly I restrict going into the water to creeks. Grays Inn Creek, Swans Creek, Worton Creek, Lankford Creek... I've swam in them all, so long as there's not 'jellies' about. And I always shower when I get out. Hasn't hurt me yet. However, I did get a nasty infection from buggers living on a lifeline that I chafed my leg on. Fancy that.

#12 ·
I've done a few evening swims at Dobbins Is and Ordinary point. last June when walking around the marina sea walls at Saint Michaels I was shocked to see how many millions of "nettles" there were!

#13 · (Edited)
I've been swimming in the bay all my life, more often North of Hart & Miller Island, mostly because by the time its warm enough the nettles are fierce. We've never had any concerns, but some common sense is needed. I wouldn't go in if I had an open wound, ear infection, etc...also, I would avoid swimming in some places (the Patapsco comes to mind) :eek: :) ;)

Is it safe to swim in the Bay?

Though people do have some concern about water quality in certain rivers, especially near industrial areas, it is generally safe to swim in the Bay and its tributaries. However, swimmers, boaters and fishermen should obey any signs posted by state officials that restrict certain activities. Because potential human health impacts are an important issue, state agencies regularly test waterways for problems related to human health issues. Where human health concerns are identified, appropriate warnings are issued. For more information about the safety of swimming in your local waterways, contact your local health department.

Scientists have identified three localized Regions of Concern that are considered "toxic hot spots":
  • The Elizabeth River in Virginia
  • The Patapsco River/Baltimore Harbor in Maryland
  • The Anacostia River in the District of Columbia.

#15 ·
Here's a link for status of sea nettles: Seanettles in the Chesapeake Bay

We just got lycra rashguard skins (long sleeve, long leg, very light weight) which we'll try this summer. In general we look for places with moving water, no major development upstream, no rainstorms the day before, and no open cuts on ourselves, etc, then enjoy.

#17 ·
When diving on the boat off the Patuxent River cleaning the prop I did not wear gloves and cut my thumb on the barnicles. The cut would not heal by itself and after several months I went to the doctor and after a treatment with antibotics it finally healed leaving an enlarged joint on the thumb. Even leting the cut bleed and treating with ointment right after getting back on the boat did not stop the infection so be very careful about cuts in the water.

#18 ·
We swim in it all the time. We avoid harbors and any place that common sense dictates to be safe. As for sea nettles, once they show up we stay out of the water. Have a friend that went skinny dipping and found out about sea nettles in a rather sensitive area. Ouch!

#21 ·
A note from those who have reported problems after cutting yourself on barnacles, barnacles have lots of bad bacteria in them. You should use gloves when scraping them to protect yourself. I suspect the problems were more due to the barnacles than the water.

We swim in waters away from marinas and have for years without getting sick or suffering sores, etc. Lots of time, we are floating off the back of raftups and around our anchored boat. We spend mst of our time in waters north of the Bay Bridge including the Magothy, Swan Creek, Worton (outside anchorage) and sometimes Fairlee. The jellies force us out when they come.

#22 ·
Well after reading this thread I guess I'll never jump back into the water at the marina to check the prop. People go kayaking all the time here at Salt Ponds in Hampton. Never heard of anyone getting sick.

#23 ·
Rumor has it that before the white man 'discovered' Chesapeake Bay it was as clear as a bell from all of the filter feeders, oysters and such, that were there. By 1900 something the oyster crop was over harvested and now crabs are the popular seafood. Ya gotta wonder what the next marketing trend in Chessy seafood delights will be.
That said, I was in the water just below the Bay Bridge this spring and it seemed quite nice away from land while dragging behind the boat with the spnnaker up. That was out near Bloody Point.

#24 · (Edited)
I think it really depends on where you are. Where I grew up in Virginia Beach, the water is relatively clear as it is near the mouth of the bay ... but even there, can you be sure that those supertankers moored in waiting are not dumping? Where we live now, on the Severn River, a LOT of people swim. Kids swim. Pets swim. I'll go in but I don't think it's terribly clean. It's questionable. Probably better out in the open bay (vs. the tributaries). Be sure to shower afterwards. With the heat we've been having ... I haven't cared as much about the unknown.

See this recent article in the Washington Post "That repulsive unflushed toilet? Better to swim in it than in the Chesapeake Bay" (might require free login):
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

I found this article to be kinda anecdotal and not that factual.

#25 ·
Just check out the Maryland EPA website for toxic / polluted areas of the bay - cyanobacteria, oocysts, toxic algae blooms, etc.

..... and just remember that just about EVERY drop of water that enters the Chesapeake has probably already passed through 'numerous' human bodies by the time it gets to the bay. The City of Baltimore STILL dumps millions and millions of gallons of raw sewage into the bay every time the Back Creek treatment plant get overwhelmed by storm water.

I ALWAYS shower immediately after swimming in the bay. I dont swim in the bay whenever I have an open sore or cut, etc. .... had too too many 'infections' from swimming there when I had 'cuts', etc.

#26 ·
My kid goes to school, my wife goes to the mall, I go to the movies; all great places to get exposed to something. Some is luck. Some is immune system differences. Some is washing hands.

Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.