Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Did any locals sail today?

Did any of you make it out this afternoon? Just curious about what you thought of the conditions.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
It was a good first sail of the season yesterday. We went out around 10 and the winds were very light. In fact at one point we were just floating with the current here in the Chester River around Love point. It did pick up to around 10 knots and we saw 5.5 knots on the GPS. Great sail and beautiful warm day!
Old 03-22-2010
Chastened

Hm. I wonder if conditions on the Ches. vary greatly from one point to another. There is also a considerable time difference between you and me.

I sailed out into the Rhode River at around 3 pm, into white caps and considerable wind. 2 sailboats passed me inbound, running on their engines with no sail. This concerned me, but I also considered that maybe these people were just wrapping up their day's sail.

I used only a reefed main and sailed out to green bouy 1A. Out there, waves were 2', some white caps and occasionally, waves that broke noisily.

I was....very concerned at first, but eventually I got the sail trimmed for a stable ride and decent speed. I absolutely was tethered, and then put on a PFD shortly afterwards.

I had an adult, female passanger who wasn't a strong swimmer. After a while, she expressed some discomfort and I also didn't see any reason to press my luck, so we turned around.

On the way back, the waves were on the aft quarter, and I trimmed the sail even better, so the ride was much better. The wind seemed to fall off a bit. Water in the Rhode was calmer when we returned, and got progressively better the further up river we traveled.

Prior to the duck blind, I finally put the jib up, and we sailed wing-on-wing to within 50 yards of my slip. I only shifted to the engine so I could back down into my slip.

The boat did very well. I on the other hand, could have done better. It was a learning experience for me. Still, no one was hurt, nothing was damaged, and everything functioned correctly.

Having the pre-sail checklist absolutely helps.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-22-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Missed the great day with pre launch chores...would have been grand, several form our marina had good winds and a great time...

I should have been out there too,
Old 03-22-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Hm. I wonder if conditions on the Ches. vary greatly from one point to another. There is also a considerable time difference between you and me.

I sailed out into the Rhode River at around 3 pm, into white caps and considerable wind. 2 sailboats passed me inbound, running on their engines with no sail. This concerned me, but I also considered that maybe these people were just wrapping up their day's sail.
We were back into the marina slip by 2pm, but I don't think there was much increase in wind beyond the 10 knots or so. By 3pm we were back at the house which is located on the Bay on Kent Island across from Thomas point light and I really didn't notice any white caps on the bay. Didn't really pay much attention so they could have been there.
Old 03-22-2010
Chastened

Huh. Maybe I'm just a chickens--t. It's definitely possible

Most people I've talked to so far, are saying how great it was so I guess I was just being over-conservative.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-22-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Be very careful there Bubble I took my wife out a few years back same conditions and same skill level. I still have a hard time to this day getting her out in the open bay. My wife only sails from June through Sept. (mostly in the rivers). You should look up the "Beaufort Scale" what you described is a "Moderate Breeze" Waves 1-3' (11-16Knts or 13-18mph) . This is actually good for sailing in all directions and full sails. When you have these same conditions in the summer I'll bet you will put up your sails and have no problems.
Old 03-22-2010
Chastened

Oh, wife wasn't with me. She didn't see a thing.

I've been futzing around in zephyrs so many times that apparently I forgot that I might actually sail in a worthwhile breeze someday.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-22-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
It was garage clean-out, paint, re-organize weekend for me.

Even in our sheltered location, I did notice -- late in the afternoon when it began to cloud over -- that the wind was building a bit. We had some mild gusts even.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-22-2010
Chastened

I have been surprised by the lack of traffic during the nicer weather. I work my arse off around the house during the week to free up my weekends.
1973 Pearson 30 #255