Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Wayne,

I have sat at both Bridge going into Mystic. The outer one we had a similar "chatting experience with a PB skipper. The inner one at Mysic right near the Seaport was a traffic jam when we went through there. My wife had to cross that bridge the next she felt the need to visit "Mystic Pizza" from the movie.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Mystic Pizza - Oh Yeah! We had one (or more) in our 3-days there and had to watch the movie after return home. A classic chick-flick, but full of "new names" in Hollywood.
Old 06-01-2010

craigmj is on a distinguished road
Didn't make it through the Narrows

We were unable to pass through the narrows on a 42' with a draft of 5'4" during the beginning of slackening tide. After reading some posts (on this site and others) about the narrows I thought we could make it. As we approached the channel I contacted a couple marinas in the area. They also thought we'd be able to make it. We arrived at the channel just after the peak of high tide and started our way through the first set of channel markers as close to the center of the channel as we could make it. There was a lot of holiday traffic so we weren't dead center. About halfway to the second set, the keel started scrapping. The last reading from the the depth finder said a depth of 5 feet when we came to a stop. With a little effort, and some good helmsman work, we were able to back out of the ground, but had to wait for a lot of traffic to pass. It took another 15 mins to get turned around and out of the channel.

We ended up anchoring at an incredible isolated spot just to the east of Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge which made up for the trouble.
Old 06-01-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmj View Post
We were unable to pass through the narrows on a 42' with a draft of 5'4"
Good post craigmj!

That info may keep my 6'2" of lead out of the mud next weekend. Glad to hear that you were able to "extract" yourself without incident: always more unnerving in a high-traffic environment.
Old 06-01-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Good to know craigmj...I'm guessing the winter storms played havoc on the channels and they have not gotten to dredging them yet...although I'm still surprised that your 5.4 draft couldn't make it...

bummer I guess but sounds like you made the best of it, if not lucked out and found a great spot for the night

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-01-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
On sunday on the way to out to a sasafras overnight I heard an announcement about kent narrows shoaling. I should have recorded the lat and long. My wife's comment about Sunday night was we anchored on the side of I95 with all the traffic. And then some fireworks woke my wife up.
Old 06-02-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We were unable to pass through the narrows on a 42' with a draft of 5'4" during the beginning of slackening tide. After reading some posts (on this site and others) about the narrows I thought we could make it. As we approached the channel I contacted a couple marinas in the area. They also thought we'd be able to make it. We arrived at the channel just after the peak of high tide and started our way through the first set of channel markers as close to the center of the channel as we could make it. There was a lot of holiday traffic so we weren't dead center. About halfway to the second set, the keel started scrapping. The last reading from the the depth finder said a depth of 5 feet when we came to a stop. With a little effort, and some good helmsman work, we were able to back out of the ground, but had to wait for a lot of traffic to pass. It took another 15 mins to get turned around and out of the channel.

We ended up anchoring at an incredible isolated spot just to the east of Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge which made up for the trouble.
Interesting...we have a friend with a 6' draft at Piney Narrows who goes thru there regularly doesn't have any probs...

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Oxford,Md.
Old 06-02-2010

craigmj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Interesting...we have a friend with a 6' draft at Piney Narrows who goes thru there regularly doesn't have any probs...

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Oxford,Md.
This was my first attempt to cross Kent Narrows. Maybe your friend knows something I don't? Would you ask and post what he says? I think it would be helpful for anyone looking to pass through in the future as this thread is one of the first things I came across in my Internet searches.
Also, I'm interested to see if CaptRizzo was able to make it. I didn't see any other sailboats coming in or out of the channel in the 3 hours I was in the area.

Last edited by craigmj; 06-02-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This was my first attempt to cross Kent Narrows. Maybe your friend knows something I don't? Would you ask and post what he says? I think it would be helpful for anyone looking to pass through in the future as this thread is one of the first things I came across in my Internet searches.
Also, I'm interested to see if CaptRizzo was able to make it. I didn't see any other sailboats coming in or out of the channel in the 3 hours I was in the area.
From our own experience with a 5ft + draft vessel..most of the shoaling was occurring around day mark #4 and it was best to stay left of center when entering from the Chester River(North Channel) .

Nautical Chart Viewer

Couldn't find anything concerning reported shoaling on the 'Notices to Mariners'..only thing noted was light 6 was extinguished..

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/lnm/d5/lnm05222010.pdf

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Cabo Rico 34

Last edited by aa3jy; 06-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Hi Leslie and Clay!

We've been out the channel about 8 times since March and I've noticed that over the past 2 months the shoaling is getting worse. Last week there was only about 1 foot below the keel between "2" and "4". This was at mid tide and in the channel center. I too stay away from the reds and would favor the green. Another bad spot is after making the turn around "6" and about half way between the "6" and "8" where last week I swear there was just a half a foot under the keel. Again I was mid channel and we draw 5'10" on a Tayana 37. Going out tomorrow and will be waching the tides more closely. Still haven't taken the boat out the south channel this year, but I haven't heard any problems....yet.