Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dee for the update. I know you go out regularly with your vessel and I suggested that your input would be valuable for others on here. Did Joe Palmeranz (sp?)put up a temp. charts of the shoaling in the marina community boards? He usually does this when he gets complaints.

FYI..'Tango' may get splashed next week..still lots to do.

Again,thanks for your input.

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Oxford, Md.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
We just got back from a great sail and wanted to update the channel info. We were in the channel about 1 1/2 hours before and then 1 1/2 hours after high tide which was at 10:30 today. Wind was out of the south which tends to give higher tides than when the wind is out of the north. No problem with the depth what so ever with the 5ft 10 inch draft. We stayed toward the green both coming and going and always had at least 2.5 feet below the keel from "2" all the way to "6". After the turn at "6" and about half way to "8" I did see 2 feet below the keel whereas last week I saw 1/2 foot but that may have been in error.

We did observe something interesting prior to our return to the channel and that was maybe a 45+- foot cabin cruiser entering the "channel". It did not enter the channel but instead stayed all the way outside until it made the turn south at "5". It was not up on plane but was moving fast with the stern digging in and I thought the fellow must be drunk, but then when he turned south and entered the channel(around "5") he slowed down and continure normally. There was a Carver power boat at the fuel dock when we finally got in about 10 minutes later and I think it was the boat. The hailing port was Kent Island so if that was the boat he had some local knowledge, but I didn't get a chance to get to the dock and ask questions. Still there was plenty of water close to the green markers inside the channel so don't know why he was outside and not slowing down seems pretty questionable too. With a sailboat the grounding is really no big deal, but a power boat running at a pretty good speed will do some damage to the running gear.
Old 06-03-2010

About 3 yrs ago prior to the current dredging..there where some temp.(green) bouyage that where placed on the out side of the permanent green day marks. Probably this was the course that the observed cabin cruiser was following..

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Old 06-22-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
FYI,

Update: I just passed through the Narrows this past Sunday on our way from St Michaels to the Patapsco and found the depth to be fine. I kept a close eye on the depth and never saw anything less than 10' except one area near the Green 15 as you are entering the channel from the Narrows heading into the Chester I saw 8', but that shoal is clearly marked on the charts. We were at slack tide so there was little current, it was after a high tide I believe but I may be incorrect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
FYI,

Update: I just passed through the Narrows this past Sunday on our way from St Michaels to the Patapsco and found the depth to be fine. I kept a close eye on the depth and never saw anything less than 10' except one area near the Green 15 as you are entering the channel from the Narrows heading into the Chester I saw 8', but that shoal is clearly marked on the charts. We were at slack tide so there was little current, it was after a high tide I believe but I may be incorrect.
The shoaling of concern is in the vicinity of Red Day Mark # 4..not sure about how your depth meter is calibrated;ie, reads depth of water from meter to ground?; depth of water from keel to ground?; or depth of water from water line to ground?

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Old 06-23-2010

Depth of water. I was refering to this are:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-23-2010

The chart you're referring to are MLLW depths..I'm referring to what you see on your depth meter and how it's calibrated?;ie; Is it calibrated to read from the sender to ground?; Is it calibrated to read from your keel to ground?; or is it calibrated to read from the water line to ground?

I for one who have been through the Narrows numerous times have seen far less water even at high tide..
Old 06-23-2010

from waterline, I like it that way

aa3jy...I'm not trying to debate the depth of the water there, just sharing my observations, take it or leave it

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-23-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
just an observation...wouldnt it make the most sense to set the calibration from the waterline to the ground. After all the chart is for MLW which unless i am a novice is from the surface of the water (same as the boats waterline) to the ground. Why calibrate it from anywhere else. I too transit the Narrows at least 5 times a year and this spring found plenty of water in the channel at low tide.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-24-2010

Point of my thesis..are we talk'n oranges and oranges..not orangutans and apples..or someday when 'someone' takes a serious cruize in waters other than the Chesapeake and that 'someone' is told the coral heads are so many feet/meters deep the information passed is compatible in 'someone's depth meter readings...before entering an unknown island harbor

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'