Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Talking Southern Bay here we come...again

We head out Saturday the 5th of June for two weeks on the bay with my wife and two daughters (3 & 5 yrs old). If the weather is in our favor we hope to get as far South as possible in the first two days...

I would be interested in hearing you recommendations for anchorages and points of interest as well as restaurants and few marinas, mostly South of the Potomac River. Recently we've been to Tangier, Crisfield, St Mary's City to name a few...

Some places we would really like to try and get to this time are:
  • Smith Island
  • Onancock?
  • Rappahanock
  • York River
  • Cape Charles
Thanks folks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
South Bay Cruise

Chef,

Great Idea. There are lots of great stops to the south. We just moved back after 6-years sailing south from Solomons. Here are some of our favorites:

Onancock: A must, we think this is the prettiest port on the Bay. A tall statement on a Bay loaded with pretty places. (click on my avatar above for a pic of the Wharf) You wind ~5-nm up the creek to get there but it is deep enough and worth the motor. Anchor in the small pond just off the wharf. There is room for 4-5 boats on reasonable scope. Or, call the "Onancock Wharf" and get a slip - they offer 4-5 at any one time. Get there on a Sunday or weekday to assure a slip if that is what you want. Dine at the Mallard, or the Charlotte Hotel up town. I will be interested in you opinion if you do. Tour the mansion up town if your little ones can take it. From the wharf you can take a ferry to Tangier Island as a day trip if you like.

Mill Ck (one of many) this one just south of the Great Wiciomico Light offers a great anchorage and the ability to go for a swim if desired. No facilities, but a great place to anchor - often in seclusion against a deep (for the Chesapeake) (8') bank.

Urbanna, VA: Another in "The Prettiest" category. This one is up the Rappohannock but worth the time. You can sail the river, it carries good depth bank to bank. It must also carry a bit of current though - Virginia Dare points very well, even so the chart-plotter track looked like an accordion when I last sailed it. The channel is easy entry for your draft. Take a tie at one of the marinas here because you will want to make lots of trips up-town. Good restaurants in town though not in the class of the two I recommended in Onancock. A pizza place if the kids are ready for that and some interesting historical houses. You will want to spend 2-nights here. It too has a nice little pond once inside that can hold a dozen or more boats at anchor if that is your preference. We always use the Urbanna Town Marina, but you can't go wrong. They offer a free dinghy dock (well inside) if you anchor.

Yorktown: By all means take a tie at Riverwalk Landing on the York. Some cruising guides have not updated for Riverwalk yet. People still think they have to go across to the north side to get a slip - no need. If you tie at Riverwalk you walk less than a block to a free trolly that will get you transportation to all the history of the area, Williamsburg, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Colony. The marina is a floating pier in 60-feet of water just downstream of the bridge. It is set up so well that you could drive a barge in for a tie. No weaving through a maze of dock & piers. Restaurants are Good - again, not great.

Cape Charles: this is like a Gin Martini, you like it or don't. We love it (both actually). It is still a real place that still has a soul of its own - no phony baloney fudge and ice cream shops with a parade of tourists here. We have never tried the long channel to Kings Ck. we drag too much lead - or too low anyway. We go into the Town Marina. It is actually a pretty good marina, but situated in a very industrial setting. You will be tied right behind the USCG Cape Charles station that will gently wake you with reveilee in the a.m. Not to worry - take the hike across the railroad tracks to town. It is a very interesting little town that is showing the signs of a comeback from an economic coup de gras when the Bridge/Tunnel complex left it "high and dry" in the 60s. There is a very good restaurant and an excellent Pub there that I point out in the Chesapeake Good Eats .pdf. Try both.

Chesapeake Good Eats. pdf

Norfolk: If you make it this far south - you probably haven't done justice to the recommendations above - or you have lots of vacation time ;-) In any case tie at The Waterside Marina. They charge a $1.50 a foot and treat you like it was $4.00 a foot. There is a Brazilian restaurant up town (in the .pdf) that both adults and the kids may be interested in - don't forget to bring the MasterCard though. If you like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, with Guy Fieri, on the Food Network take the free bus (long walk) to Doumar's on 1919 Monticello Ave. The inventor of the ice cream cone and a great "quirky" place for lunch or dinner. Lots to do in Norfolk and the area in this part is new, clean, safe and very attractive.

Last edited by wwilson; 06-01-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Fair winds chef dude....see you when you guys get back at the Sailnet Rondevous at MYC on the 19th of June.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-01-2010
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Thanks Wilson! Great post.

Chef, we're looking forward to it...I have NO idea what I'm going to bring to cook but it will be delicious I hope

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-01-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Thanks Wilson! Great post.

Chef, we're looking forward to it...I have NO idea what I'm going to bring to cook but it will be delicious I hope
Here's a few more ideas to add to Wwilsons great post.

Sandy Point on the Great Wicomico is one of our favorite anchorages. Good holding in 15 feet almost into shore. A very nice, large anchorage great for peace and quiet.

Dividing Creek is another nice quiet anchorage that we've found nettle free when we've visited. Its quite tight and might be a tad hot if the night is very still. We never got a chance to visit Indian Creek or Dymer creek but understand they also offer possibilities for secluded spots to anchor.

Up the Rappahannock, we enjoyed Carter Creek and the Corrotoman. We usually found a place to anchor in Yopp's cove on starboard as you enter Carter Creek, but most folks seem to anchor in front of the Tides Inn. If you are ready for some amenities take a slip at the Tides and enjoy some pampering. They offer all sorts of spa treatments and activities for some enjoyable time off the water.

On the Corrotoman, we like the eastern branch where you can anchor across from the Green 9, and watch the cable ferry at Merry Point as it shuttles cars across 2 at a time. There is also the Western Branch which we've never explored.

Further south, Don't overlook an evening on the hook in Fishing Bay on the Piankatank. Its one of those anchorages like you find in post cards that makes memories.

Heading on down, the East River on Mobjack Bay is yet another gorgeous river with wonderful possiblities for a night on the hook.

After all these quiet nights on the hook you'll probably be ready for a nice dinner ashore which you can find at York River Yacht Haven on Sarah Creek a short distance up the York. The YRYH is a very nice marina with a great pool to cool off after a long day sailing and the River's Inn restaurant is excellent.

Hope you have a chance to see some of these. I have great memories of all of them and look forward to seeing them again someday after we've seen some of the upper bay.
Old 06-02-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
mid,

We have traveled the same path (wake?) for some time it appears. I think you are in HHS we in HHN - we'll have to raft and exchange "Bay Stories" one day. I 2nd all your nominations. We have been to all but The Tides.

On the East R. of the Mobjack - don't forget to pay homage to Sally Tompkins' home. The only woman officer of the Confederate Army, an incredibly effective nurse.

Disclaimer: I'm not (or try not to be) a Redneck: no love for the motivation of the Confeds. but respect for their valor.
Old 06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
mid,

We have traveled the same path (wake?) for some time it appears. I think you are in HHS we in HHN - we'll have to raft and exchange "Bay Stories" one day. I 2nd all your nominations. We have been to all but The Tides.

On the East R. of the Mobjack - don't forget to pay homage to Sally Tompkins' home. The only woman officer of the Confederate Army, an incredibly effective nurse.

Disclaimer: I'm not (or try not to be) a Redneck: no love for the motivation of the Confeds. but respect for their valor.
I'm still a neophyte, at this sailing stuff and the above plus your previous comments pretty much encompasses all I know of the bay at this point in my evolution. I love the southern bay's expanse, and the great destinations on both shores but look forward to finding new favorites on the eastern shore, Annapolis and points north from HHS.

We'll look for you on the water soon!
Old 06-02-2010

I forgot Little Bay

Not sure how I forgot this one, but its a nice one with a beach you can dingy over to for a cook out, lounging or just exploring. Just behind Windmill Point. It can get crowded some weekends but woud be great on a week day.
Old 06-02-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I would add a few spots. Sarah Creek just across from Yorktown dock is a lovely, deep creek and worth a visit. Mobjack Bay is lovely, North River or East River is beautiful. Fishing Bay just around the corner of Stove Point on the Piankatank River is not well protected but if weather permits a beautiful spot to anchor and is amazing piece of land. No Southern Cruise of The Bay is complete without a visit to Tangier Island.

One word of caution is pay close attention to tides in Yorktown area. Having sailed the Northers/Central Bay in the Annapolis area we are used to very slight tides, but I once had a 5' tide that left my boat as tight on her lines as possible. Also, the CG does training in that area and it is not uncommon to be boarded for a safety inspection, so have all your gear on hand.
Old 06-22-2010
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Thanks all for the recommendations, we had a blast. A trip report will come as soon as the pictures are organized. Dolphins in the Patuxent...who woulda thunk?

Photo by Joe McCary