SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Ethanol-free gas in Chesapeake? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/65835-ethanol-free-gas-chesapeake.html)

eryka 06-22-2010 07:57 AM

Ethanol-free gas in Chesapeake?

We had to rebuild the carburator on our outboard three times last year, due to ethanol in the fuel. :mad: The last place we saw no-ethanol gas for the dinghy was Deltaville Marina in VA. If we drive from Annapolis to Deltaville or somewhere else outside of EPAs clean air zone around MD-VA-DC (3-4 hours each way) and fill a gas tank, stay overnight in a motel and drive back next day, we STILL save money compared to the cost of a rebuild!!!

I found this list of ethanol-free marinas for anyone else in the same circumstances: Ethanol Project | Chesapeake Bay Magazine

sailingdog 06-22-2010 08:02 AM

I wish ethanol free gasoline was readily available up here... of course, anyone looking for ethanol free gasoline need only visit their local general aviation small airfield... all of these have ethanol free gasoline, as the FAA has not approved any ethanol-based fuels for aircraft use due to safety reasons.

BTW, the EPA regulations, IIRC, do not apply to marine fuel vendors... just terrestrial ones AFAIK...so marinas in the EPA Clean Air Act counties should be able to sell ethanol-free gasoline.

kd3pc 06-22-2010 09:51 AM

Dog

Good luck getting on to an FBO anymore unless you ARE a pilot or have credentials, then try getting them to sell you fuel and getting back out through security. The rules ran off every instructor in Roanoke, perimeter fences, card key access, three gates/turnstiles to get to the office, then you had to park about 1/2 mile away and walk...

Better off to find a speed shop or drag strip...to buy fuel...

kd3pc 06-22-2010 09:57 AM

Eryka

so according to the CBM list....there are some 15 places to get fuel between OC, Maryland and Yorktown, VA...and this is a good thing that EPA is doing??

T37Chef 06-22-2010 11:40 AM

Interesting you bring this up Eryka, with a new outboard myself I have been in search of the same and found it difficult, thanks for the link.

One thing I wanted to mention was during our recent cruise of the bay I noticed that in Virginia the diesel sold seemed of much better quality than what I can find around here. One brand I was seeing offered often was ValvTect Marine Diesel ValvTect - Valvtect Marine Diesel

Dunno, maybe just a good marketing campaign but I swear my engine ran better ;)

RichH 06-22-2010 12:39 PM

More than just a marketing gimmick.

The typical heat value of 'gasoline' is 2200-2400 BTU per pound
Ethanol at ~ 1400 Btu per pound.

For 10% EtOH ..... 2200 (.9) + 1400 (.1) = 2120 BTU/#.
2120/2200 = 96% of the heat value of 'straight gasoline'.
....that equates to 4% less 'milage' or mpg.

For 15% EtOH .... 2200 (.85) + 1400 (.15) = 2080 BTU/#
2080/2200 = 94% of the heat value of 'straight gasoline', 6% less mpg

.... and at about 10-15% higher cost for E10.

The 'economics' of E10 would be $(.94)(.85) = 80% less 'economic value' for E10 in comparison to 'straight gasoline' ..... + increased 'food costs'.

ValvTect fuels are 'wonderful' for boats, etc. ... dont need to be 'stabilized' and let the engines 'roar'.

administrator 06-22-2010 01:34 PM

I've been using the E-Zorb additive for the last three years and not a single problem

MDR E-ZORB™ FORMULATED TO ABSORB WATER FROM E-10 GAS Shop.Sailnet.com - sailing resources, shopping, sail, blogs

sealover 06-23-2010 10:22 PM

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Turns out the closest station (which happens to be full-service and a few cents cheaper) is ethanol free! I've been using it all along!

SWEET!

GenesisCaptain 06-28-2010 08:47 AM

Wards in Nanticoke, MD just started carrying it this week. It's about a mile south of Bivalve harbor. Also if you're near Salisbury, there's a place in Fruitland that is carrying it. Don't know the name of the place but they have a sign on Rt13 advertising the fact.

chef2sail 06-28-2010 09:08 PM

How much e sorb do you put in a 3 gallon tank (using it for my outboard on the dinghy)

Dave