Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Knapps Channel Mud

I stuck it in the mud last Thursday - first time (partially) through Knapps Narrows. Apparently "local knowledge" is required. At a raft-up off the Strand in Oxford on the 3rd, I was told to stay "close" to the Red on exit eastbound for X-hundred-yards. I didn't quite get (savvy) the full explanation. FWIW the cartography showed me dead-square in the middle of the channel. Any more detailed information would be appreciated.

The annotated red arrow shows my approx. "easternmost" position. We ended up backtracking all the way around Black Walnut point to get to Dunn Cove, also a first time - very nice. So much for shortcuts - too much keel. (And yet a friend regularly transits with a 43' boat and 6'5" of keel.)
Old 07-06-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
You're not really inspiring me to try this though I only draw 4'6". I'd get pretty stressed if I was stuck in a narrow channel like that with lots of boats around.

I hope at least you were able to get extricated on your own without too much difficulty.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Wayne --

Ian and I spent some time aground on his 36 exactly where you annotate in '08. Took us a while to get off but we did and went around. Like you, I'd value clear info from anyone getting through there with 6ish feet.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
[quote=wwilson;619859]I stuck it in the mud last Thursday - first time (partially) through Knapps Narrows. Apparently "local knowledge" is required. (snip) FWIW the cartography showed me dead-square in the middle of the channel. Any more detailed information would be appreciated.

The annotated red arrow shows my approx. "easternmost" position. quote]

I am sure you know this but it might be worth mentioning for those not aware that Knapps Narrows REVERSES the markers at the bridge the old Red Right Return flops at the bridge. So if you are keeping Red to the right when transiting FROM The Bay when you reach the bridge it reverses and becomes Red on left.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=mccary;621383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
I am sure you know this but it might be worth mentioning for those not aware that Knapps Narrows REVERSES the markers at the bridge the old Red Right Return flops at the bridge. So if you are keeping Red to the right when transiting FROM The Bay when you reach the bridge it reverses and becomes Red on left.
Yup, but good point Joe. I was aware of the change of lateral marks at the Narrows. I had left red to port (eastbound) and found mud at the channel center. I may have found what any knuckelhead should expect when he pushes a 6'2" draft boat through a cut that is plainly labeled "6 FT JUL 2009" on the chart!

Paraphrasing Einstein: "The surest sign of stupidity is repeating the same action over-and-over, expecting different results." I am cured!
Old 07-11-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I missed that you were westbound when you ran aground. Ian and I (on his boat) were eastbound. It seemed to us that the hump ran all across the channel. The local crabber who slowed down to chat couldn't help since anything over 3' was "deep" for him.

I don't consider Knapp's an option.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-12-2010
son of a son of a sailor

PrinceBuster is on a distinguished road
Drawing 4'3" I got through there fine on Saturday the 3rd. Using GPS zoomed in I tried to stay in the middle of of the channel (at least as it appears on my Garmin's GPS' chart).

It was about half tide when we went through, heading east.
Old 07-20-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
They dredged the channel two years ago. Sounds like it's filling in already. Just curious, what was the tide when you went through. Low, Mid or High?
Old 07-20-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
We went though the eastern side at the end of june and ran aground on the way out the next day trying to pass through the bay side. As I remember the depth was in the 6's coming in. My problem was the wind and waves pushed us out of the channel and I damaged my rudder. Tried to pick it up last friday but when we got out into the bay proper it was leaking so we had to pass through again to take it back to the marina to fixc the leak. I think on that side depth was in the 7's but that was about 1 hour before low tide. Just got the word its fixed so we will be going throu the bay side friday morning.
I was a nervous wreck every time.
Old 07-20-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
We went to Knapps for lunch last Sunday and plowed some 4' bottom on the way west at the red #4 marker when a power boater went wide around the mark and forced us off it by about 20'.

You need to really hug all the marks on both sides, but with all the power boat traffic it's close to impossible to do so.

SOLARE
T-37 #442