Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Dropping the hook on the bay

I mean.. gee it's not like it's rough most of the time. and if the weather predicts ok Have any of you just dropped the hook while on the bay? And well away from the channel/s? I'm thinking of the time saved cruising to get to an anchorage. I've not done this however. Just askin!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't see why you couldn't do that... just remember to hoist an anchor daymark or turn on the anchor light.

I've done it up here in Buzzards Bay... Of course, you might be a bit more sensible than me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I have not for any extended period or overnight so take my comments FWIW...there is no reason why you couldn't? I could certainly see the rational if you were trying to make a destination and want to get some sleep and/or not into cruising at night, etc.

I would choose wisely of course, make sure I hoist a radar reflector, and probably have more than the mast anchor light out as it could easily get lost on the shore.

There are many good places on the Northern portion of bay where I could see doing so such off Worton, Still Pond, Fairlee, Sassafras, Patapsco, Hart & Miller, Rockhall, Magothy just inside the inlet, near Sandy Point just to name a few but no way could/would I get much sleep, I might as well just keep going.

Whats your plan BTW?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-13-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure how well I could sleep under those conditions either. The closest I think I've come to the conditions I'd expect under those circumstances was on a mooring in Naptown. Way more motion than anytime I've been anchored, but I was able to sleep because A) it was a mooring not just the anchor and B) it was someone elses boat.

My major concern would be how well the forecast held and would the wind shift during the night to set me towards the lee shore.
Old 07-13-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
When fishing for Blue Fin Tuna we often anchored on the banks in the middle of the ocean. This was only if the fishing was good, we were in a tournament or we did not want to waste a few hours time getting to and from the fishing grounds. Of course this was a 50+ foot sport fishing vessel with a massive amount of lights, think baseball stadium, including an anchor light, and one crew on watch at all times.

Personally I would not anchor in the middle of a bay unless I absolutely had to do it. Too easy for a boat to miss your anchor light and you might be surprised at the amount of night time marine traffic that is out there..

Here in Maine this is not an option as our bays are not 10-12 feet deep and we have hundreds of spots to choose from..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-13-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The short answer is "nope".

We do anchor out sometimes, swimming or fishing, and it's often pretty darn rolly. Often we have to move if we want to cook a meal in comfort.

* Depending on where you are, it can be deep. IF it isn't deep, it can be rough.
* Ship and express cruiser wakes can be violent at any time. The upper Bay sees a lot of power boat traffic in a small space.
* Sleeping would be tough - rocking and fear of getting run-over. No one is going to expect you there.
* 2- to 4-foot waves are not unusual.
* Would you anchor in the upper Delaware Bay? I didn't think so. Well, it's not so different and I have sailed both many times.

There is no need to go deep into to a creek in good weather, but I would certainly duck just inside. It is common to see people passing through anchor very near the mouth of a creek. There are many choises - that is the beauty of the Bay. You'll sleep better and get an eariler start.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 07-13-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I anchored once near Pt. No Point. The bay really opens up down there. Anyways when the wind picked up I couldn't sleep. So with only 4 hrs sleep I headed home at 3 am. I didn't see a single boat until daybreak.
Old 07-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please note, I'm not recommending Denise drop anchor in a crowded, popular, heavily trafficked part of the bay... but that dropping the anchor in the bay itself is a perfectly acceptable thing to do...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
There are PLENTY of places along the upper eastern shore to safely anchor on a calm night.

I sail a lot at night on the upper Ches. and many times just 'snug in' to the (eastern) shore to spend the rest of the night; no incredible 'stink-pot' chop at night !!!!
The only places NOT to anchor are those spots CLOSE to where the main shipping channel comes close to the shore: Howell Point & just north of Tolchester beach.

Also avoid anchoring 'under' any of the exposed (yellow) cliffs .... usually lots of 'boulders' and very thin water. Also avoid the stretch between Still Pond and the entrance to Worton Creek .... lots of rock shelfs and turbulence when the tidal current is moving.

Good Places: off of Veasey Cove between the Bohemia and the Sassafrass Rs.; between STill Pond and Howell Pt.; Bewteen Worton Creek and Fairlee - (belly) Button beach... but not 'under' a cliff; in the 'bight' about 1 mile south of the entrance to Fairlee; the 'outside the entrance to Worton Creek' in the BIG bight just east of Worton Point ... along the North shore where there arent any 'cliffs', The EAST side of Pooles Island (but have an anchor that can easily 'reset') ... but you will need an anchor that will hold in 'River Jacks' - fist sized round stones; anywhere in the mouth of the Sassafrass (except during the new moon phase during Apr/May/Jun !!!), 'just inside' the south shore of the entrance to Still Pond .... not near the cacaphony (generators running AC !!!! ) of where everyone else is anchored (just 'in' from the first 'cliff'). Lots of spots on the Western shore from the Middle River all the way down to the Patapsco - some of the 'westerners' can fill you in on those.

During the week most of the 'favorite and always overcrowded' anchorages will be quite empty .... and peaceful: Still Pond, Worton Creek, Ordinary Pt. - on the 'inside' of the mouth of the Sassafrass, etc.

:-D
:-)
Old 07-20-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
where are some of these.

I recognize where some of these are but not all.

where is

"off of Veasey Cove between the Bohemia and the Sassafrass Rs"

Why not during the new moon phase ?
"anywhere in the mouth of the Sassafrass (except during the new moon phase during Apr/May/Jun !!!)"