Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
bleedin' hot!!

Anybody else have to up the "heat and humidity limitations" just to get a sail in? Jeez it's hot this summer. Thank God for the new bimini!! Went out tonight for a moonlight sail only to get chased in by some thunderheads. It was a nice(albeit a tad uncomfortable) few hours while it lasted....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I've given up on even trying to go in the evening! it's terrible out there!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Yes, it was another "stupid hot" weekend. However due to life's impositions we hadn't had an opportunity to do an overnight on our boat yet, and our new club had a "Crab feast" planned so we decided to suck it up and go even though we knew it would be a hot night for sleeping on the hook.

Saturday, I thought we might get to sail, but once away from the dock I found there was only about 8kts showing while I was motoring almost directly into the wind at 6 knots, so I knew there was almost zero wind and we'd just be bobbing around. I kept hoping the wind would fill, but it never did and we ended up motoring from HHS to Wye river. Then to top the day off, I could not get my Delta to set. This is the first time I even had a problem setting that anchor. The first 2 tries we just drug when we backed down to set, and when it failed and we retrived the anchor, it was clean as a whistle like I drug it down a sidewalk, so I decided to try a different area of the anchorage. On the 3rd try I brought up some leaves and decided to try yet another area, where thankfully, the anchor set immediately and held fast under a good dose of reverse. I chalk it up to the sea gods helping me get "introduced" to the membership of our new club. At least w managed to avoid shouting except a couple of quick directions, despite the heat and unaccustomed difficulties setting the hook. (Did I mentione that I failed to charge the FRS radios we usually use to communicate during anchoring?)
Anyway, we enjoyed meeting a bunch of new folks, but its going to take me a while to get all the names, faces and boats properly organized in my cluttered brain.

Oh yeah, did I mention it was hot? After we returned to our boat, we slept in the cockpit until about 1AM, when it had finally cooled off enough that the v-berth was tolerable with the breeze booster. Thankfully there was a good breeze all night.

Sunday we got an early start before the temps started to climb and motor sailed out from the Wye under main only, until we were able to roll out the genny, silence the "iron genny" and turn to a close hauled course on port across the bay from near the Green #1 at the mouth of Eastern Bay. On the western side, we tacked over to starboard and were able to lay the #1 at HHS, sailing west of the fish traps, so we had a decent sail home to finish up a pretty enjoyable overnight even in spite of the relentless heat this summer.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 07-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Two words:
Sail naked.
Old 07-19-2010

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you made the best of it. We've been trying to get a few overnights in but weather has not cooperated. Funny thing, my wife had just forwarded me an article about boating and thunderstorms. So both of us were hyper vigilant last night and headed home at the first sign of trouble. When I checked the buoy data this morning I had to chuckle. Not 20 minutes after we got home the winds started gusting to 35kts with 2-4 swell action. September will come...
Old 07-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
As far as I'm concerned, July and early August on Chesapeake Bay border on miserable. After the 4th of July, we don't go out much. Instead, we head north for a non-sailing family vacation, where we can swim in waters that aren't jelly-fish infested.

This is why we leave our boat in the water over winter and do our haul-out mid-summer. It sits out for about a month, then goes back in mid-late-august with fresh paint, ready for some nice autumn sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-19-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Our solution is to make friends with powerboaters at our marina so that we can get a fast, cool ride on those days when it is too hot and there is no wind to sail! It is amazing how much wind can be made with a couple v-8 inboards. We attended a raft-up with friends on their powerboat this weekend and there were other sailors from the marina on other powerboats from our marina, all enjoying a day that would have been a loss from a sailing perspective. It is good to have friends . . .

JohnR - I like the way you think. Carolena is way overdue for a haul and bottom paint. Maybe I'll try to book something for early August.
Old 07-19-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
GenesisCaptain, is the thunderstorm article something you can share on here?

But yeah, I did more sailing in November than I did this July. Being a trailer sailor I have to do a fair amount of tear down after a sail. THAT is where it gets miserable. 90 degrees and humid on the water with a little breeze is tolerable. 90 degrees and humid in a parking lot dropping a mast, dehydrated and sunburnt just makes it not fun. Then getting into a thousand degree truck and driving home to hose the boat/trailer off, dry it out, and run the motor in a bucket...

Sacrilegious for a teacher to say it, but Come on September!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 07-19-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Hot here too. And at the end (or middle) of most days there is the thunderstorm activity and us being one of the "lightening capitals", well.....it's a no-go most days.
Old 07-19-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
NOw you know why the Admiral and I always take a two week plus trip to Long Island in July/ August. Friday we leave and by Sunday I hope to have that nice cool ocean breeze along the NJ coast

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner