SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Saturday, July 31, a rare day on the Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/66933-saturday-july-31-rare-day-bay.html)

mccary 08-01-2010 10:54 AM

Saturday, July 31, a rare day on the Bay

Yesterday was such a wonderful day. The temps were finally lower, upper 70s, and the wind started out very light and built to about 10-12 knots. It was a glorious sailing day. We took 2 of my nephews and one's friend and had a glorious time. I was surprised to see fewer boats than I expected.

mpickering 08-01-2010 11:15 AM

I was out on the Bay as well. Likewise surprised at the lack of boats. Saw a bunch racing just beyond Thomas Point Light. We spent the day under genoa only tooling back and forth just outside Shady Side. Well worth the wait with the bad weather we've had these past several weeks.

Matt

T37Chef 08-01-2010 02:38 PM

We enjoyed a wonderful night sail Friday night into Saturday early morning, slow, but we got there eventually :) Not much wind the way back today but still it was a great weekend to be out on the bay.

WouldaShoulda 08-02-2010 11:48 AM

Very rare indeed for July!!

The morning report was "calm" but was expected to build thru the day.

We didn't head out until 2pm and by the time we got to Thomas Point Light it was 10kts easy.

Just the way we like it and I don't think the temps got past 90!!

Had to make way for the ARC car carrier but it was nice actually sailing across the bay again with good wind!!

velero 08-02-2010 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most sailors are still recovering from this.:mad: ...... It was blowing 80 plus, visibility was less than a boat lengh and it was raining horizontal for about 5 minutes in the mouth of the Rhode River.. July 25th another memorable day :) note that my 32000 pound boat was healing a good 15 degrees with bare pole:eek:

WouldaShoulda 08-02-2010 01:39 PM

YIKES!!

That's why I stayed home!!

Some of my neighbors lost power for days!!

T37Chef 08-02-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velero (Post 627835)
Most sailors are still recovering from this.:mad: ...... It was blowing 80 plus, visibility was less than a boat lengh and it was raining horizontal for about 5 minutes in the mouth of the Rhode River.. July 25th another memorable day :) note that my 32000 pound boat was healing a good 15 degrees with bare pole:eek:

Crazy!!! We were not out, thank godness...were home doing house work (yay :( ), lost power for three days after the storm blew through...arggg

eryka 08-03-2010 06:57 AM

We were in our slip for the big blow - thankfully, it came directly on our stern so we didn't even heel. Watched a catamaran come in with a broken mast, and a monohull with a totally shredded headsail - yikes!