SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Chesapeake Bucket List (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/67001-chesapeake-bucket-list.html)

wwilson 08-03-2010 03:28 PM

Chesapeake Bucket List

I'd like to get some help from the Chesapeake sailors to build a "bucket list" of great places to visit, or just places you haven't yet been on the Bay but want to visit. If it's on your bucket list (or must visit - if that's too morbid!) chime in.

A few to start: The Nanticoke River on the Eastern Shore - all the way to Vienna, Up the Potomac River all the way to DC (last year's attempt got rained out). The Bush River - at least to the 1st bridge.

And three already visited, but worth doing again and again: St. Leonard's Ck. on the Patuxent R., little Mill Ck. south of the Great Wicomico Light, and Onancock on the Eastern Shore - still my all time favorite.

Others?

SVAuspicious 08-03-2010 04:10 PM

I have visions of being the Chesapeake sailing version of Julie and Julia - work my way through Shellenberger's book from beginning to end. Anywhere I don't fit I anchor out and dinghy in.

Places I haven't been that stick out in no particular order: Smith Island, Tangier Island, Mobjack Bay, Salisbury, Crisfield, and Chestertown.

PalmettoSailor 08-03-2010 07:36 PM

Well if its a bucket list, you want it pretty long so here are a few I'd add.

Tides Inn on Carter Creek off the Rappahannock is a place I've wanted to visit. Its pricy, but we're talking bucket list so, I'd plan a couple of days and pamper myself with massage therapy and fine dining.

Then I'd sail all the way across the Rappahannock to Urbanna for a few days working through the restaurants there. Since its a bucket list, I'd make it during the Oyster Festival and a slip would miraculously be available so I could eat oysters and drink till my hearts content.

Some of my bucket list are events I'd like to participate in on my boat like Down the Bay, the Governor's Cup, Cape Charles Cup and another Stingray Leukemia Cup.

Of course there are still a lot of upper mid bay and upper bay places I have yet to visit by boat like Annapolis, Oxford, St. Michaels, Bal'more and Haver de Grace.

mccary 08-05-2010 09:31 PM

A bucket list is a grand idea ... from places I have been that I would recommend others see, Tangier Island, the kids and the food are unforgettable; sail under The Bay Bridge (seems like a small point but a must do); Dunn Cove (the backside of Knapp's Narrows) a wonderful place for a nice night; Still Pond, the beach is so close to the channel; sail past the Frances Scott Key Buoy , just west of the Key Bridge on the north side of the channel (looks like a flag nun) on your way into Baltimore and a night in Little Italy; The Governor's Cup, a race of hundreds of boats from Annapolis to St Mary's City (70 miles at night) and THE biggest party on The Bay.

Some things I have had the rare pleasure of doing myself: I sailed on a working Skipjack while they were dredging for oysters; I sailed on 2 square rigged ships on The Bay (Christian Radich & Eagle); I have sailed the length of the Bay (Georgetown to Yorktown, more than one trip).

Things left for me to see/do... Around DelMarVa; catch a BIG Rock; some small things... explore some small creeks/rivers I want to see, Little Choptank; visit Rock Hall; Sail to Chesterton.

Jeff_H 08-05-2010 10:11 PM

The Little Choptank is really great, especially if you have less than 4'6" draft so you can duck into some of the shallower creeks. There is this neat creek with great old boatyard, country store and church on the south shore. If you have a shoal draft boat you can spend a week in the Little Choptank alone.

I am a big fan of Grays Inn Creek off of the Chester River. There have been major holidays where I have been the only boat visible in the creek.

I have spent many a comfortable night in Tripp Creek of the Tred Avon above Oxford.

Another really neat anchorage is Corrotoman River off of the Rappahannock (excuse the spelling) just above the Eastern Branch.

Joe: I have always seen Dunn Cove mentioned a great anchorage, but I have generally found the Creeks on Broad Creek off the Choptank to be nicer places to duck in and explore.

sailor50 08-06-2010 08:58 PM

Chesapeake Bay Guide

Lots of info!

pdqaltair 08-06-2010 09:44 PM

Places I have been that I really suggest for others:
* Tangier Island
* James Island, while it is still there
* Wye River
* Around the Delmarva. Go slowly and stop in Wachapreague (just the inlet--skip the town) and Chincoteague. Sand Shoal Inlet is actually my favorite, but it takes just the right boat and weather, so I can't recommend it. It takes 2-3 weeks to do the Delmarva right.

Places I need to go:
* Every creek I have not visited. Most are very nice. Since I am already forgetting some that I have visited, this could take a long time!
* Through the Dismal Swamp Canal and into NC.

wwilson 08-09-2010 05:05 PM

Dave Salisbury - had not thought about that - I will put it in my bucket
mid - I have visited all but the TIdes Inn - I will add that one too
Joe & pdq - my DELMARVA (2008) was far and away most notable once I came through the Virginia Capes and back into the beautiful Chesapeake once again. I guess I like my saltwater brackish!
Jeff-H - I agree on the Corrotoman, just recently discovered Trippe Ck (love it) agree as well on the Broad Ck tribs. Choptank is our favorite R.
Joe speaking of big Rick Fish, I got a shallow water warning a couple of times going into the Eastern Bay (8' in 30') on Saturday - suppose I sailed over a school of Rock Fish (heck I don't know, do they school or flock?) They're safe from me in any case, he'd have to jump into the boat, grab a knife and filet himself before I'd know what to do with him.
pdq - I've always wanted to go down the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, but I probably bought the wrong boat for that - 6'2" draft? I hear the rigging scrapes through the trees as well? Maybe I can sign on as crew with a SnowBird some fall.

rockDAWG 08-09-2010 06:42 PM

I consider Chesapeake bay is my back yard. I take it for granted. My bucket list has to be in a place that I can see my toes when I standing in water :)

aa3jy 08-09-2010 07:19 PM

Bucket List

Just completed a self imposed 'List'..10,000+ miles on a motorcycle to Alaska and back via the Alaska Inner Passage Ferry System.most recommended!!

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.