Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Annapolis to Deltaville and back

I want to push myself to see how far I can endure to handle the boat solo within a relative safe environment of the bay. Just wonder if I can sail/motor from Annapolis to Deltaville without stopping within 24 hours.

It is the signs of the times that solo sailing is unavoidable; I need to start preparing it now.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 09-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
You didn't say what type of boat, if it's your Capri it might be a long sail. I think it is possible but certainly a long & lonely haul. Probably about 90 nm. With the right winds and a bigger boat it might be 12-15 hrs. One good aspect, is there are several bail out ports along the way if you decide you need to stop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Joe is right. The boat makes a big difference. I sailed 'LB', a Catalina Capri 22, from Mayo to Herrington Harbour North with another person and we were pretty tired.

I've done Annapolis to Little Creek in one shot single-handed on Auspicious. Entirely different deal on a 22,000# cruising sloop, especially with videos on the chartplotter to while away the hours.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Sympathy on whatever "sign of the times" ...

Do you have an autopilot? If not, that's gonna be a long, long, trip.
Old 09-11-2010

Ooop... forgot to mention. I will be sailing the Jeanneau 37 sloop with autopilot and chart plotter, but no radar. I have been day/nite sailing solo most of the time, but not such a long distance without stopping. Early this year it took me 2 days coming back from Deltaville to Annapolis by stopping Solomon Island.

IF the distance is only 90 nm round trip, it should be doable. With a better wind in Sept, I may able to sail a bit more. If the speed drops below 5, I will just start the motor. Since this is a timeshare boat, I must return to the dock 8:30 am and get her clean up by 9 am.

Our children have grown, They have their goals to fulfill. Wifey is not an outdoorsy type person. She will come along if I insist. But I found out being alone has its rewards. I ride alone, I camp alone, I sail alone and I have fun. In a few years, I should be ready to cross the pond. Wifey and children will fly to the other side of the ocean to meet me. I could only hope.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-11-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
IF the distance is only 90 nm round trip, it should be doable.
That 90 nm estimate is one-way, not round trip...
Old 09-12-2010

Thanks Joe. I will do my homework on the paper chart and rethink my destination.

In this trip, I would be happy if I can practice

1. making approach to an unfamiliar harbor at dusk
2. doing a 5 to 6 hour nite sailing (not motoring)
3. a couple heaving to's when taking break.

Just learn to be self-sufficient without chaos. Both sails have furling, so it is easy to sail. I may turn off the chart plotter at nite and just use dead reckoning and paper chart. Bought a steiner with compass binoculars, eager to try it out at nite.

Thanks

Fine Print:
Old 09-12-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
From Annapolis - consider Solomons as a mid-point destination. If you sail into the harbor which is very possible - I've done it a number of times - you will have logged about 44-nm. A loop around Moll's Leg Island in the harbor and the return to Annapolis should accomplish your objective.

Solomons is a good destination for a dusk or after dark approach. Its approach is well marked with flashing navaids and the water is relatively deep. I would though, recommend turning the chart-plotter back on for the Solomons approach, or study the charts to memorization if it has to be sans-technology.

Don't sail through the Cove Point LNG Restricted Area (nothing more tars you as a "tourist" in the lower mid-Bay) avoid the uncharted fish weirs off of Little Cove Pt. and be aware of "the flats" a well charted & marked shoal in the Patuxent R. on approach to Solomons. Monitor 13 for tug traffic which operates well outside of the shipping channel in the lower Bay.

Last edited by wwilson; 09-12-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I second the Solomons midpoint destination. Another stop further south is Reedville. You can be off the bay in a decent anchorage in 45 min (about the same as Solomons.

I've done Annapolis to St. Mary's a number of times with a Gov Cup crew. It's 70 miles direct, so Deltaville will be about 30 more. Solo without a stop for sleep will be hard.

Try to pick a time immediately after a front moves through and you will have a wind pushing you south. Otherwise, the predominate southerly will slow you down. Stay in the shallows when the tide is foul and in deep water when it favors you. Bring some 5 Hour Energy stuff. It really works and doesn't drop you down.

Luck.
Old 09-13-2010

Wayne, thanks for the heads up. Good advise and I am sure I will follow. I usually sail inside the shipping channel without taking short cut, especially at night and go from marker to marker and stay away BAB's (big ass boat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post

1. Solo without a stop for sleep will be hard.

2. Try to pick a time immediately after a front moves through and you will have a wind pushing you south. Otherwise, the predominate southerly will slow you down.
3. Stay in the shallows when the tide is foul and in deep water when it favors you.
4.Bring some 5 Hour Energy stuff. It really works and doesn't drop you down.

Luck.
1. I should be OK. I used to do study and perform complicated procedures 36 to 48 hrs without sleep.

2. I hope I will have westerly wind on this Friday.

3. Good point, I will try it

4. Energy stuff is for the young people. It is not made for people from the old school and i will leave it at that

One more newbie question, how to read tides and current. I am thinking to download iPhone app before I head out. Do they have an app that bases on your GPS reading and tell you the approximate current and direction it flows?

TIA

Fine Print: