SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Green Marina's (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/68235-green-marinas.html)

aa3jy 09-13-2010 05:59 PM

Green Marina's

Just been informed by the marina that we're currently at that they have been "certified" as a Maryland Clean Marina..with that "divers will no longer be permitted to perform in-water cleaning of boat bottoms.."

My contention is what was in the water stays in the water..cleaning a haul in the water is generally no different than hauling the boat out of the water..unless 100% of the particulate from power washing is collected..don't see that happening.

Thoughts?

Classic30 09-13-2010 06:08 PM

There are plans where I am to collect all wash-water when boats are hauled out, so I'm not too surprised.

Our Club is trying to get a permit to dredge around the marina (since some of the berths are too shallow for some of the larger racers) - but the spoil has been classed by the EPA as toxic waste, and nobody wants toxic waste...

Just wait.. your fees will go up shortly.. ;)

kd3pc 09-14-2010 04:37 AM

Sounds like Maryland, ready - fire - aim....

sailingdog 09-14-2010 05:02 AM

The EPA is also starting to require that the marinas and boatyards have a wastewater catchment system to trap any run off from powerwashing boats.

aa3jy 09-14-2010 07:12 AM

Most of these marinas are so old that if the EPA came in they'd probably 'qualify' as Superfund sites..:rolleyes:

kd3pc 09-14-2010 08:28 AM

In VA, if the marina is sold or simply refinanced, an "environmental impact study" is required...this is causing all kinds of issues with good marinas wanting to upgrade or borrow against the property to do so...

Of course this in addition to all the COE, Fed, state and local permit process to do that same upgrade.

When the EPA comes up with a solution to barnacles, I would get excited (as would the Navy), but till then, they really should have no say so in the matter of cleaning boat bottoms...you are simply putting back what is calling your boat, a home...

Now scraping and sanding and such of bottoms - for sure it should be collected as best and disposed of as properly as you can.

With the amount of raw sewage pumped in to our water by city treatment plants, daily...I am really not sure that a few boat bottoms are of any real impact.

Fstbttms 09-14-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa3jy (Post 643282)
Just been informed by the marina that we're currently at that they have been "certified" as a Maryland Clean Marina..with that "divers will no longer be permitted to perform in-water cleaning of boat bottoms.."

Which marina?

Fstbttms 09-14-2010 10:09 PM

I just read Maryland's Clean Marina Program. As I suspected, it recommends using a set of Best Management Practices for hull cleaning. So if your marina is banning in-water hull cleaning outright, they are doing it of their own accord and likely going profit from the increased haulouts for hull cleaning. Which, BTW, are a $225.00 minimum at the OP's marina/boatyard. Probably a bit more than he is used to paying a diver for the same service. :rolleyes:

blt2ski 09-15-2010 12:45 AM

Old news, already being done in many marina's in Puget Sound!!

Altho you can legally clean a hard pain bottom, ablative is illegal IIRC the state laws.

marty

Fstbttms 09-15-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 643955)
Old news, already being done in many marina's in Puget Sound!!

So what do you do when you need your hull cleaned?