Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Poplar Island

What the heck are they filling in Poplar Island with? Iron? Every time we pass that island our compass shows about 20 degrees +/- deviation.. Don't see any updates/notices to charts about this phenomena.

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Here's your probable answer to the 'usual and common' magnetic disturbances 'all over' the Chesapeake: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_impact_crater
Old 09-30-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I don't know about that event causing magnetic disturbances, but I think the are filling Poplar Island with dredge sediment (when they dredge channels) and I would guess that the sediment contains varying amounts of magnetic deposits... I remember the old Poplar Island back in the 70s as a wonderful place to anchor with a shallow draft boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I think most of the fill is coming from around Dundalk. There is some nasty stuff in there from the steel mills and other factories.
________
PAXIL LAWSUITS

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2010

bjung is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the thread, Clay.
It seems I finally have an explanation for what happened to me earlier this year. I was beating to wind south of Poplar Island, when I engaged the auto pilot to go to the foredeck to lash the anchors down better. Suddenly the boat turned through the wind, and by the time I got back to the helm, I ended up in perfect "heave to" position. The auto pilot never sounded off course alarm. I double checked, and the helm was definetly engaged.
Strange....
Bernd
PSC 31
Old 10-18-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
As mentioned on another thread..we took a tour of Poplar Island..courtesy in partial to your personal Md. taxes..Tnx. Anyway I may have found the answer to my question concerning the rather large deviation when traveling south of the island. There are approximately a dozen rusting hulks of what appears to be barges that are partially lying in a row in the middle of the island. I wanted to ask the captain of the m/v 'Terapin'..but he wasn't in the mood to answer questions from visitors..kind a of surely waterman that had been hired 'cause of his local knowledge of this part of the Bay...
Old 10-24-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I sailed by the island today and took this snapshot...

This is the view from the Eastern Bay #1.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mccary; 10-24-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
I don't know about that event causing magnetic disturbances, but I think the are filling Poplar Island with dredge sediment (when they dredge channels) and I would guess that the sediment contains varying amounts of magnetic deposits... I remember the old Poplar Island back in the 70s as a wonderful place to anchor with a shallow draft boat.
He makes an excellent point. Beth Steel (now ISG) at Sparrows Point discharged VAST amounts of pickle liquor for many years, until they finally began treating this material, I think in the early 70s. The liquor was basically ferric sulfate in acid water, which would become rust upon contact with Bay water. The material would take time to settle and was well know for causing serious silting issues in the area. (I used to do some engineering related to the treatment plant... but you really don't want to know how much COD was and still is discharged).

But I don't know about the actual content of the dredge spoil or the compass issue.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber