Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Good place to overnight Sunday/Monday in trailer sailer.

Spent last Columbus day sailing from Sandy Point Park to Annapolis and back, and playing around under the Rt. 50 bridge and watching the big boats leave the show.

Will definitely be out somewhere again this Monday. Considering my first overnight on the boat Sunday night. Looking for suggestions on where.

A little background:
17' boat with little egg beater outboard and a decent cabin. One set of stretched out but usable sails. No spinnaker. In a 10 knots I can make 4-5 mph ground speed. (almost hull speed)

Will have two oversized anchors (a danforth and a borrowed navy-type) and a small folding grapnel from my other boat. Enough anchor line to tie off at Havre DeGrace and drift to Norfolk... None of which I've ever used.

Looking for somewhere I can put in Sunday afternoon (4-5 PM maybe) sail a bit to an anchorage, drop hook(s) eat something I packed, read a book then go to sleep. In the morning sail/explore and end up back at the ramp by dusk.

I'll be single-handed on the entire trip. Have a radio, GPS, all safety gear, etc. battery-operated, clip-on nav lights and all-around white light.

Safety of my tow vehicle and trailer is also a concern. I'm an hour north of Baltimore, but being a trailer sailer I can get to the ramp at 60 mph.

Suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Would consider a transient slip also, but really wouldn't need it, and don't see the need to spend the $.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
That sounds like a GREAT idea! I never thought of that! We're both off that day!You might just see us down there!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 10-08-2010

Kind of my last hurrah before fogging the motor and putting the boat in a buddy's barn for the winter. (Could easily get it back out for an Indian Summer, of course)

Thought it'd be a great over night -- no bugs or oppressive heat. (or am I wrong about the bugs???)

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 10-08-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I recommend the public boat ramp at the head of Spa Creek in Annapolis. You'll need to wait for the drawbridge to raise, (every 30 minutes, I believe) to get out.

Then, sail south, around Thomas Point Lighthouse, past the South River, to the mouth of the West and Rhode Rivers. Drop your hook in any of the beautiful, sheltered coves in the Rhode River for the night. Do your thing, and then sail back.

If you think that's too far, you can just sail into the South River and anchor in the little cove by Turkey Point.

It's an easy trip whether you sail, or motor. This weekend's forecast is: Gorgeous, with a 90% chance of Awesome.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-08-2010

I am familiar with the South River -- at least around the Yellowfin restaurant (or whatever it's called) -- I go crabbing there. May try that. Is Annapolis a cluster____ at boat show weekend? And can a truck and empty trailer sit there overnight without raising suspicion?

Thanks!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 10-08-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
It's a free, public boat ramp (I think they charge a small fee on holidays). The ramp isn't in too bad of a neighborhood, so if you lock the vehicle and don't leave any valuables in sight, you should be fine. I don't think the po-po will blow a gasket for one over-night parking.

Yes, City Dock is going to be a mess this weekend. I recently found out that the slips and the dinghy dock are off-limits this weekend.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-09-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Rhode River is a great place to spend the night and has beautiful sailing ground. There are 3 boat ramps on or just off Rhode River. A public boat ramp (free) in Mayo on Rhode River at Carr's Wharf (Latitude: 38°53.303'N - Longitude: 076°31.393'W). There is also a private, good cement ramp at Casa Rio Marina, on Cadle Creek just off Rhode River, (Latitude: 38°53.231'N - Longitude: 076°30.957'W), and another private ramp at Holiday Hill Marina just off Rhode River on Bear Neck Creek (Latitude: 38°53.615'N - Longitude: 076°31.301'W).

Another fun trip might be to Harness Creek on South River (Latitude: 38°56.096'N - Longitude: 076°30.572'W). On South River there is a boat ramp at Londontowne Marina (private) (Latitude: 38°56.182'N - Longitude: 076°32.289'W). If you go to Harness Creek after entering the tricky inlet (for deep draft boats) go to a beautiful cove on the back right side. It has wonderful high hills surrounding it's tiny basin.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for something close to Annapolis, try Whitehall Bay. It is just north of the Severn and Mill Creek empties into it. Nice place to watch the boats leave the show and it is not too crowded. Parking the truck and trailer will be interesting. Most of the streets are filled up for boat show.
________
WIKI VAPORIZER

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2010

Thanks everyone. Joe, I'm going to Google earth those places this evening. Board down I'm all of 6 feet. Up I'm around 2. And it's a cast iron swing keel so hitting bottom is no big deal. I have a depthfinder, gps and separately a navionics chart plotter app on my phone. (Droid - well worth the $10 but it does suck battery) really looking forward to this. May do the private ramp and hope my $20 ramp fee buys some protection for my tow rig.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 10-09-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
Thanks everyone. Joe, I'm going to Google earth those places this evening. Board down I'm all of 6 feet. Up I'm around 2. And it's a cast iron swing keel so hitting bottom is no big deal. I have a depthfinder, gps and separately a navionics chart plotter app on my phone. (Droid - well worth the $10 but it does suck battery) really looking forward to this. May do the private ramp and hope my $20 ramp fee buys some protection for my tow rig.
I agree; Harness Creek and the whole Rhode River area would be a great starting area. Protected and yet many choices.

This, about a resent trip to Harness Creek:
Sail Delmarva: Harness Creek

With practice, the Bay will be yours next summer. It is largely about picking weather and places. Trailer sailors have so many choices.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber