Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
Tom, did you have any problems getting back in to Herring Bay (HHH North) today. There were radio reports that because of the very low water there were 2 boats blocking the entrance (one coming in and one going out) that had the harbor blocked.
No--I was already back in Shipwright Harbor (right next to HHN) by Saturday evening. But wow! I guess we dodged a bullet there. For sure that is a narrow channel coming in through the break, but I assume the problem was a combo of super low tide and wind from the west or something?

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
A couple more weekend memories...

DSC_2899

Sunset in Baltimore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 10-25-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon--it really was a gorgeous weekend. I single-handed our boat for the first time on an overnight from the South River to the Wye River to meet up with some friends from our sailing club. Coming out of the South River, I had my hands full with a little too much main up, beating to windward towards Bloody Point. A reef would have helped to keep the rail out of the water! I tried to take some pics with the rail in the water, but it was too tough to steer and snap. Some of the pics are from my phone, others my camera, so it's a mixed bag--Here's what I got...

And after rounding BP, I was able to fall off and start making some real time up Eastern Bay. I sailed all the way up the Wye River, and only started the engine just around the corner from Dividing Creek.

The next morning (Sunday) was lovely. Dividing Creek was quiet and calm.

The sail home was nothing rockin', but I managed a 4.7 knot average, and sailed almost the entire 26 miles. Can't really ask for more than that.

All-in-all, I ran the engine for about an hour in two days, sailed 52 miles round trip, and the weather was beautiful. In addition, I sailed the boat alone for the first time, and managed to get it home without breaking it. And you really can't ask for more than that!

-J
Old 10-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely done Joz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I must have seen some of you guys on your boats then. We left the Rhode River Friday afternoon and rode the spinnaker all the way down into the Choptank River and found a great anchorage for the night. Saturday we made our way through the channel above Tilghman Island and were able to hoist the spin once again ending up in Harness Creek off the South River. Sunday we sailed back to the Rhode. Pretty sure I saw a T37 as well as a C 27 along the way. Beautiful weekend.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-25-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Nicely done Joz.
Thanks SD!
Old 10-27-2010
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
10/23/10 was what the Fall is all about, the wind was steady throughout the afternoon, sailed out of the S River to Bloody Point Light and back on one tack!!
Old 10-27-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
On the 22nd I had my dad with me moving the boat out of the St. Mary's and up the bay. It was 20-25 and under main alone we hit 10.2 knots of boat speed. That ended as we turned north and beat into 4' waves heading up to solomons island with a reef and the 110 up. My dad started puking and didn't stop for very long. The 30 miles of beating into that nonsense took it's toll.

Only 2 on board the boat was a little hard to keep flat, most of the time the main wasn't doing much. Looked like others had the right idea and were sailing south. Raced in light air on saturday, horrible showing with a 10th and 9th place finish due to equipment issues. But had fun none the less. Party was fun, on sunday we moved the boat back and did 6-7 kts the entire 36 mile trip so that was nice.
Old 10-27-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Just a little jealous. On the wet coast, it rained this weekend. A lot.