Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssen View Post
Has anyone tried Sea Hawk's version of Prop Speed?
Here is the prop of a J/120, freshly coated with HawkSpeed, that had motored approximately one mile from the yard to her slip. I kid you not:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
good post to pull out of the past to a degree. need to coat the max prop, and get rid of a few barnicle remains. hopefully all I need to do is take some say 60-80 grit paper then coat it with appropriate paint. Any comments?

Marty
Old 02-20-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Marty- I've found that SS steel wool scrubbers work the best for props and don't "scratch" as bad as sand paper. As I've posted before, I have used the spray Trilux outdrive antifoul paints and they have worked well here in the PNW. Initially you should prime with zinc chromate spray to get good adhesion.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-20-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

The remains were enough that something more than steel wool was needed. Came home for a moment, off to fisheries to get a few things before they close, ie wax, and had some paint yesterday at WM.......did not get into the bag, nor did I get charged for it.......grrrrrr.......

David came by, mumbled something about his CS36M is shaped a lot like my Jeanneau, but considering both are Tony Castro designed, from the mid 80's.........

Marty
Old 02-20-2011

Janssen is on a distinguished road
From the photo posted by "Fastbottom" it looks like the Hawkspeed did not bond well to the bronze prop?

I asked Brian at Old Bay Marina if he ever had such a failure with Prop Speed and he said no. The important thing is to prep the surface well for the acid chromate etching prime wash.

Brian also said that you can use Prop speed on folding props-as long as you do not gum up the moving parts with the coating. Prop Speed does have a gummy surface from the silicon, but is slippery compared to cold zinc or Tri-Lux spray paints.

After seeing Fastbottoms photo of Hawkspeed, I am going to go with Prop Speed. My marina supplies it free with a haulout as long as you pay $75.00 labor for them to prep the prop and shaft. Good deal considering that two small cans of Part A & B cost $200.00!

George
Old 02-20-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssen View Post
From the photo posted by "Fastbottom" it looks like the Hawkspeed did not bond well to the bronze prop?
After I showed that pic to the owner and the yard manager, the yard hauled the boat and recoated the prop with HawkSpeed, paying particular attention to the application process. The same thing happened. And this was not the only boat that had the problem.

That yard doesn't use HawkSpeed anymore.
Old 02-21-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
good post to pull out of the past to a degree. need to coat the max prop, and get rid of a few barnicle remains. hopefully all I need to do is take some say 60-80 grit paper then coat it with appropriate paint. Any comments?

Marty
My boat has a max prop going on 25 years and I've tried all things(including labratory grease) to keep the barnicles down over those years mainly here on the Cheaspeake. Over the past 10 years or more I've settled on interlux products and buy the best hard bottom paint(quart) that I can find. It takes a full day to prep that prop(removing all the previous bottom paint). I then apply the underwater metal primer following the directions including the etching compound allowing appropriate dry time between coats. However I don't put on the number of coats specified since too thick a coat will be more prone to slinging off. I put two or three thin coats of primer followed by two thin coats of the hard bottom paint. I haul out every three years and after two years I usually dive on the boat and scrap the few barnicles that have formed over that period. The boat sits idle over the winter months, but is used weekly throughout the spring thru fall for the most part.
Old 02-23-2011

ronbo1 is on a distinguished road
Janssen:
"Has anyone tried Sea Hawk's version of Prop Speed?"

Even if you can find HawkSpeed on the shelves (it was discontinued last year) don't waste your time! We tried PropSpeed vs HawkSpeed at a Chesapeake Bay marina. PropSpeed won hands down. My boat with HawkSpeed failed miserably...'nothing' would have been better.

To Hawk Paints credit they're giving me a couple gallons of bottom paint.

Ronbo
Old 06-16-2011
Walter

walterzoy is on a distinguished road
Prop Speed Keeping Prop Clean on Chesapeake Bay!

Just did a quick haul to clear a crab trap float wrapped around my prop.

The good news is that my Prop and shaft is free of barnacles and sea growth!!

My marina supplies the Prop Speed for free with their haul out and bottom painting package, and everyone who had the stuff applied is delighted and amazed at how well this coating works.

The only catch is you must pay them $75.00 to prep the metal and apply the stuff. I guess that is not too bad, as cleaning a prop of barnacle seats is not much fun.

Does anyone know how and why Prop Speed works so well, when the other products are short-lived at best?

Walter - Catalina 30 Sailboat

Last edited by walterzoy; 06-16-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
Come on now, it works better because it costs more