Haulout window missed? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 Old 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
So, we finally find a disadvantage to those wide roomy decks -- more space for snow to accumulate. ;-)

Actually, this is the first time we've had to worry much about snow in or out of the water. Deltaville, just didn't get the accumulation you see around here. Even with the big storms last year they only got a few inches.
At the time I had a 1200-pound 27' x 14' cat (Stiletto), which resulted in a very high ratio of snow to boat. in fact, the snow plus rain no doubt weighed several times as much as the boat! An exceptional case, to be certain. But it illustrated the concentration of force on the blocks. A good blocking crew is worth something. I will add that the marina made it right.

Of course, I've never seen a cat blown off its blocks, sideways, only crushed and over charged.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 22 Old 12-24-2010
Aeolus II
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I've left my 1975 Newport 28 in my slip at White Rocks since I bought her in 2007, only pulling out for a powerwash and general inspection in the spring.

Last winter when we got 30" of snow I nearly panicked, and drove my Honda Civic into the wilds of Pasadena down Fort Smallwood road to get to her and shovel her off. When I got there I couldn't even see where she was even an inch deeper in the water -- and my cockpit was full to the gun'ls.

Now I realize what a load she can handle, and if we get big snows again I know I can wait a couple of days for the plows to get around before heading over to shovel her out.
My 27 also lives in the water and last year was dramatic for sure. West river had several boats capsize from the added weight, mostly power boats. My boat was loaded down with the water line several inches under water. My boat is not at a marina, she lives at a private dock so I went down and used a snow blower to blaze a path, that took 2 hours to reach the boat and then cleaned off the 30+" of wet snow. I am hoping for the global warming to kick in this winter and keep her relatively snow/ice free although when I saw her on the 22nd she was iced in and that is not a happy sight. She was fine and had a dry bilge:-)

Joe McCary,
Sailing on The Central Chesapeake Bay, West River, MD on my Catalina 27, Aelous II with my wife and friends.
Sailing Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.