SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2011 Sailnet Third Annual Upper/ Middle Chesapeake Rondevous

16K views 172 replies 25 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 · (Edited)
Its that time again ( hard to beleive with the 4-8 inches we are to get in snow tonight).Donna and I would like to sponser our third annual rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club on either June 12/13 or June 18/19 which ever date the outside covered Pavillion is available.

The previous two have been quite well attended with over 60 guests as well as 15 boats represented each time.

Our facility is located with a view of the Patapsco ( someitme we see the steel mill dropping red molten steel) and the Bay and is about 5 miles before you get to the Key Bridge. We have used our covered outside picnic area with 4 BBQ pits as well as picnic tables should it rain and dropable wind screens should that ve needed on the covered area. It can hold over 100 people There is a large anchorage area in Rock Creek ( room for over 50 anchored boats) as well as a number of dinghy docks at the MYC. In addition there will be slips available for anyone wishing to stay and tie up at $2 per foot with $10 if you want electricity. We have a pool as well as a restaurant should you wish to do that also. Pool and showers are included in the dockage fee. Also we have a fuel dock. Rock Creek distance wise is 22 miles to Annpolis City Dock, 30 from West and Rhode Rivers, 18 from Rock Hall, and 22 the inside anchorage of Worton Creek. Aprrox 38 from our friends in Herrington Harbor, and Oxford. We are also easily accesable to those who want to come by land and I will give directions as we approach the date.

The Pavillion is nice to meet everyone as it is relaxed, places for all to sit and hang out and socialize without hopping from boat to boat.

Any Sailnetter is welcome certainly the Chesapeake/ Delaware/SJ especially, but a special invite to the Long Island Sailnetter who Donna and I have met on our trips to New England and the Long Island sound.

In past years T37chef, WWilson. Bermudahigh,Eryka, Sealover, 4arch, Scottyt,PaulDolan (MYC member also), Sapperwhite, Craigtoo and Jeff H have been present to name a few.

Hopefully John Pollard, SD (from Mass.) and especially Jeff H comes this year with his new bride.

Dave and Donna

See less See more
#62 ·
We'll be there by land this year :(

I'm thinking about bringing something to grill, perhaps some lamb? Curried? Some raita, grilled eggplant....uuummmm I see a theme :)

Anyone up for something like a Beer or Wine tasting? Nothing formal just a selection for anyone to taste?

Being boat-less this year, let us know if we can bring anything else Dave, perhaps we could take care of the burger/hot dog condiments? Relish, ketchup, mustard, etc...?

Sorry you'll miss it JeffH, we would have enjoyed seeing you again.

#63 ·
We're there by boat if the weather permits, anchored out. Will bring some grain-based side salad (pasta salad, rice salad, or couscous) and some veggie burgers.

#64 ·
Denise, looking forward to meeting you, too.
Jeff, sorry we'll miss you; BTW, belated congrats on scoring the auto building.

#66 ·
Oooop, sorry for the delayed reply.

Eryka, Dave and kb3pwc:
Thanks for the invite. I am afraid I am not able to attend this time. Our round trip to Bermuda got postponed for a week. Now we are planning for a departure day on this Thursday from Selby, MD. I am sorry that I will not be back by the 11th to meet you all.

Have fun. If there is another gathering during the sail show, I will be there. :)

#67 ·
Dave, we (Mary & I) have a slight change of plans for that weekend. I was planning on sailing in, but we now have house guests that weekend, so we will be there by car. That releases my slip reservation. Sure looking forward to being back together again.

#69 ·
Joe so far these seem confirmed'

SVAuspicious
T37chef
Georgedog
Wingnwing
Mccary
DeniseO30
Rhythm Doctor
Kb3pwc
mgmhead
gladrags
dacap06
Bermuda High
Sealover

A few sailors from our club
PaulDolan
Chesagansette

Every one has at least 2...some have more with children/ friends. So we are about 34 so far
Joe feel free to bring your friends, guests

#70 ·
Just wanted to confirm that I will be joining you on 6/11. I see my name listed as gladrags but my boat name is Mandolin. I expect to anchor out in the creek and dinghy in. I understand that we need to bring something to share with 10 - 15 people. Is that correct? We also will be bringing some wine. I will need to confir with my wife regarding what dish we will contribute. It will be my wife Anne, 13 y.o. daughter Olivia (unless she begs a sleepover at a friends) and myself (Tod). I see that we need to arrive at the dinghy dock and not the beach (LOL). Anything else I need to know? Is the time for gathering 6:00pm? Any other details? Looking forward to meeting you guys face to face (maybe I shouldn't be tho... LOL).

Tod

#71 ·
Tod,

Glad you are coming. Plenty of room to anchor in the cove behind the club if it is windy ( there are club mooring backs there for 25 ft boats....or in the space between the MDYC docks and White Rocks maina..where most people anchor. That space can hold 50 anchored boats easily.

I would suggest you bring salad...desserts...cheese and crackers..whatever.. Its the camraderie that makes this an event. We have plenty of characters there.

#73 ·
J
You can bring her as others in our club have dogs. You have to keep her leashed and pick up after her of course. We have some "doggie" posts with bags in a few areas of the club grounds. There also is plenty of room to walk her/him as we are on 5 acres or so. Let me know if you are anchoring or want a slip. They are1.50 a foot and $10 a day for electric if you want it. Pool and showers/restrooms available
Dave
Dave

#76 · (Edited)
Hi Dave,
Thanks again for putting this together. We're planning to come by boat, if the weather agrees. And if a slip is still available, we'd like to reserve a spot. Specs for Valinor are Length 34', Beam 10'6", Draft 4'. Please feel free to PM me if you need other info, etc.

We will definitely bring something to share, but not sure what yet. See you in a couple of weeks!
Cheers,
J

#74 ·
We hope to come by sea. Anchor out.

With fingers crossed, appropriate prayers said, alms given and maybe the sacrifice of sacred fruits and vegetables, we will be coming by boat. :) Our plan is to anchor out. Hope it will not be as hot as yesterday and some wind will give everyone a nice chance to shake out a sail.

I will be mixing up a tank of gazpacho...a bit spicy but cold and crunchy with cucs + peppers. I will bring paper cups to ladle the soup into. What is the number of expected guests?

Is there anything else you need?

Hey, I can't wait to hand out my new boat cards....it has a wonderful picture of Tango taken by Joe. If you have a card, do bring some so we can trade. :D

Looking forward to getting together again.

Leslie (kb3pwc)

s/v Tango, CR 34
soon to be at Lankford Bay Marina

#75 ·
Leslie,

Glad you got Tango back in the water and commissioned. A TANK of gazpacho? been looking in all my cookbooks to see how much that is. Sounds great though.

Glad to hear you are going to Lanford bay as thats a really nice place. We got to the Chester River a lot, especially in the fall and on Holiday weekends.

See you both in a few weekends

Dave

#77 ·
Jos...great to hear you are coming. I love the 34 Sabres....and youve put some real work in her too since you got her.

I have a slip for you no problem. As we get closer to the day I will post more info for everyone. That afternoon weather permitting I will be out on the Patapso cruising to welcome anyone in who is around.

Is there anyone else needing a slip. Nnot sure about Wingnwing, SVAuspicious, Georgedog, MGMhead,. Kb3pwc is planning on anchoring McCary, T37chef, DeniseO30, BermudaHIGH, DAcAP60 ( he is berthed right behind us actually at White Rocks) I knolw they are comming by land.

Dave

#78 ·
Dave,

Still on our calendar and we look forward to attending. Cathy plans to make a huge bowl of zucchini & bean salad (a summer favorite). We anchored out in the Rock Creek cove last weekend but I'd like a slip for this gathering. We've sold the Sabre 34 as you know, new boat is a Catalina 387. Happened to speak with MYC Nadine today on a different topic and she seems fully up to speed on the Sailnet gathering.

Thanks for putting this together. Please let me know what else you need us to bring. NOT A STACK OF $50's. :laugher

#79 ·
Hi Dave, we're going to try and anchor out this year, unless the weather is so horribly hot we need A/C. Where's the dinghy dock again? Don't want to get in trouble with MYC management ... ;)

#81 ·
Marc,

Glad to hear your are coming. I am sure we could let you use the shower if you contact the office. I will post where the dinghy docks are this week for those anchoring.

The best places to anchor are in the area between White Rocks Marina and the MYC fuel dock, or around the corner past the club in the cove behind D dock. My boats stern faces the cove on d dock about 1/2 down.

When you are there check out the Sundeer 62 "Crazy Horse", They are friends of ours and just returned Monday from a 18 month cruise around the world with a group from ARCA.

Dave

#83 ·
Its Donna and my pleasure to do this every year. I enjoy being abke to host this and bring people together to meet. We really enjoy meeting the seeing old friends, meeting new people who come, making new friends who we can anchor out with. Its also a great time to exchange ideas and even see each other boats. We have developed a few freindships from people we have met at the rondevous which has enabled us to get together and raft up at various times in the sailing season. We have run into a few when we are just out by ourselves and pullinto an anchorage for the night even.

Its also kind of neat as you get one impression of people from their postings on the Internet, then when you meet them you get to see the "true" person.
Usually the impression in person is way better.

I will post directions again as well as dinghy dock locations later in the week. If you need my cell I will send it in a PM to you. Right now as it stands the following appear to be comming.

SV Auspicious, T37chef, Wingnwing, McCary, Deniseo30, George Dog, Bermuda High, Kb3pwc, daCap06, mgmhead, jsrulz, gladrags, gershel, sealove, pdolan, chesagansette and a few more from the MYC club. Makes for about 20 boats (boating families)...thats a geat turnout.

Dave

#85 ·
The long-range forecast for the weekend looks perfectly lovely - can't wait!!!

#86 ·
Action,
Plenty of anchor room. You can walk the dog on the upper area of the club as long as he/she is leased and you pick up
Glad to hear you are coming
dave

#87 ·
To those who will be dinghying iin from an anchored boat the dinghy dock is floating PVC type dock located next to the bulkhead between B and C pier very close to B. After landing pull you dinghy aside and tie it off to allow others to land. Their are steps on the bulkhead to take you up to the parking lot. Pavilion is on the port at that point a short distance away.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.