New to the Area - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-07-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaalex View Post
I don't disagree with anything you've said and I do appreciate the advice. Just having a hard time trying to figure out where I might want to park the boat. The other half really likes the floating docks and that kinda of limits the choices. She thinks one of the dog's is going to take a walk off one the smaller finger piers.

Jason
They do seem like they'd be great, but I've never had a slip at a place that had them. It would at least remove the worry about your boat being over the docks as mine has been several times at Stingray. I could tell by the tide marks on the pilings that the bottom of the keel had been about level with the dock after the storm in the video.

Besides if the other half has expressed an opinion, the decision is made. lol
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 03-07-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake Monticello, VA
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jaalex is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
They do seem like they'd be great, but I've never had a slip at a place that had them. It would at least remove the worry about your boat being over the docks as mine has been several times at Stingray. I could tell by the tide marks on the pilings that the bottom of the keel had been about level with the dock after the storm in the video.

Besides if the other half has expressed an opinion, the decision is made. lol

So that is one of the other things I've been thinking about. We come from an inland lake that was used primarily for flood control. We had floating docks that went up and down with the level of the lake. It was easy to set your lines so that the boat would sit nice and entered in the slip and not bang around on the sides. We could often have the lake come up as much as 5 or 6 feet in a day if we got huge rains. So much like a storm the docks would rise up and the boat would be ok.

In the salutation you describe how do you set the lines so that they are long enough to let the keel of your boat get level with the pier but yet not bang around in the slip in all that wind and surf. The what stops the boat from coming down on that pier.

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 03-08-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaalex View Post
So that is one of the other things I've been thinking about. We come from an inland lake that was used primarily for flood control. We had floating docks that went up and down with the level of the lake. It was easy to set your lines so that the boat would sit nice and entered in the slip and not bang around on the sides. We could often have the lake come up as much as 5 or 6 feet in a day if we got huge rains. So much like a storm the docks would rise up and the boat would be ok.

In the salutation you describe how do you set the lines so that they are long enough to let the keel of your boat get level with the pier but yet not bang around in the slip in all that wind and surf. The what stops the boat from coming down on that pier.

Thanks,
Jason
There is no way you can set lines that would accomodate a surge like that. My boat was saved by some nameless crazy bastards at Stringray that went about adjusting lines through that weather.

The water from that storm was over the top of my dockbox and destroyed the window unit AC I had stored in there. That means the water was more than knee deep if you were standing on the dock which would put the keel of the boat I had at the time at nearly the level of the dock.

I believe it was at the absolute limit where if things had turned any worse nothing else could be done and the fate of your boat became a matter of luck or a discussion with the insurance adjuster.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-08-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 03-10-2011
willyd's Avatar
美國佬
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 184
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 7
willyd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
YouTube - Storm Surge, Deltaville Stingray Pt

YouTube - Norview 2009 Storm Surge Off of Rappahannock

As nice as Doziers is, I wouldn't want my boat there due to the exposed location. They at least have floating docks, but its far too exposed for me having seen a least a couple of storms a year like this one.
Scarier yet is that "Deltaville womanless beauty pageant" video right next to the above ones. Looks like a forbidding place on both land and sea. YouTube - Miss Deltaville 2009 Tripp Juggling

Last edited by willyd; 03-10-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 03-11-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
ekenna is on a distinguished road
annapolis to solomons

I tried to post this before so hopefully I will remember everything I said before.

You mentioned you were a lake sailor. On the bay you need to watch out for the tide. You want to plan your travel time to be with the tide not against. Also you want to avoid the wind blowing in the opposite direction of the tide. This will cause the waves to build higher and be steeper. Also gererally the farther south you go on the bay the bigger the wave get. A steady east or west wind would be best for your trip

Also does you new boat do hull speed? Mine does not. It only does 3.5 know under motor. So I planned smaller hops.

From annapolis you can do herrington harbor north. HH North is cheaper the the posh HH south but still is fancy enough with a laundry, wifi and I think it has a West Marine in the parking lot.

From there you can probably make it to the solomons however on our trip south we pulled in into flag harbor yacht haven because by 10:30 it was 95+ and my wife looked like she was going to faint. This is a no frills marina. We spent the hottest part of the day in the air conditioned bathroom. Then cooked dinner in the picnic pavilon. Then came the highlight of the trip. After the sun went down behind the trees we walked down the road to the beech north of the marina and went hunting for sharks teeth. We found a lot and a alligator tooth. You might keep this one in mind as an emergency stop if things get rough.


From there it is a short hop to the solomons. The first night we stayed at zahniser yachting center on the right side as you go up back creek. This was cheaper and they have a gas dock and a restuarant. However the town is on the opposite side of the creek, Supposedly that will loan you a car but I did not see that until we were checking out.

Next night we spent at the more expensive marina across back creek. They also have a restuarant, laundry, will loan you bikes. West marine is a short bike ride up the main street. Or you can walk it like I did. They also have a sail loft which we needed because we had ripped our main sail coming around the point into the river,
__________________
Boatless
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 03-12-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekenna View Post
I tried to post this before so hopefully I will remember everything I said before.

You mentioned you were a lake sailor. On the bay you need to watch out for the tide. You want to plan your travel time to be with the tide not against. Also you want to avoid the wind blowing in the opposite direction of the tide. This will cause the waves to build higher and be steeper. Also gererally the farther south you go on the bay the bigger the wave get. A steady east or west wind would be best for your trip

Also does you new boat do hull speed? Mine does not. It only does 3.5 know under motor. So I planned smaller hops.

From annapolis you can do herrington harbor north. HH North is cheaper the the posh HH south but still is fancy enough with a laundry, wifi and I think it has a West Marine in the parking lot.

From there you can probably make it to the solomons however on our trip south we pulled in into flag harbor yacht haven because by 10:30 it was 95+ and my wife looked like she was going to faint. This is a no frills marina. We spent the hottest part of the day in the air conditioned bathroom. Then cooked dinner in the picnic pavilon. Then came the highlight of the trip. After the sun went down behind the trees we walked down the road to the beech north of the marina and went hunting for sharks teeth. We found a lot and a alligator tooth. You might keep this one in mind as an emergency stop if things get rough.


From there it is a short hop to the solomons. The first night we stayed at zahniser yachting center on the right side as you go up back creek. This was cheaper and they have a gas dock and a restuarant. However the town is on the opposite side of the creek, Supposedly that will loan you a car but I did not see that until we were checking out.

Next night we spent at the more expensive marina across back creek. They also have a restuarant, laundry, will loan you bikes. West marine is a short bike ride up the main street. Or you can walk it like I did. They also have a sail loft which we needed because we had ripped our main sail coming around the point into the river,
Unless you have time to spare, I'd say Herrington is too close for a stop, being only about 17 or so NM's from Naptown. A Catalina 320 should be able to do Annapolis to HH in a morning.

Flag Harbor is a good call if you find you need a bail out point before Solomon's since its the only place I know between HH and Soloman's where you can bail out. It might be a good place to stop this time of year, since its a bit closer to Annapolis than Solomon's and its more direct access to the bay for the next day. During summer, with longer hours of daylight, Annapolis to Solomon's would be doable.

Wind against tide is never a good thing, but short of a gale your C320 will safely handle this trip regardless. Now it may be north of miserable if you have days of 20-25 knt winds stirring things up, which is not terribly uncommon. The mouth of the Potomac is the area where you are most likely to experience the famed Chesapeake chop.

As a planning help, my wife and I were easily able to make it from Point Look Out on the Potomac to HHS with a 7:30 start, arriving at 3:30. This was a delivery so it was straight motoring. A C320 should be able to about the same.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 03-27-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake Monticello, VA
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jaalex is on a distinguished road
So the trip is done. We did it this past Friday and Saturday. And all I can say is that it was cold, cold, cold. But determination sometimes trumps intelligence.

A friend and I drove up on Thursday and did closing and did some repairs and got her read to go. Stayed on the boat Thursday night and pulled out of Rock Creek about 7:00 AM. It was about 32 degrees when we left but sunny and clear. We had a confused waves and tides and fought our way to the upper bay bridge. Once we got past the bridge the winds came our from the NW and we put up the sails and with the motor we were doing about 7KT SOG according to the GPS. My friend and I took turns over the day to stay warm in the cabin. We pulled into the Soloman's about 4:00 in the afternoon.

We stayed overnight and then took off on Saturday morning at about 6:30. The winds were very light and variable so we flew the jib for a while but found that we weren't really getting any power from it so we ran with the sails down and just on the motor. We did about 6.5 kt the whole way and pulled into Deltaville at about 3:30 that afternoon.

All and all the bay isn't as scary of a place as I thought it was going to be.

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 03-27-2011
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,969
Thanks: 29
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Jason,

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. It was chilly out this weekend. Where did you get the boat in Rock Creek. That is where I keep mine. The trip down was a good one. Its a long day to Solomons...and the next day it seems to take 4 hours to get across the mouth of the Potomac...but you did it. Hurray.

The Chesapeake isnt as serene as you found it this weekend. It can get very knarly when there is a storm as it is so shallow it sets up a good chop...and the summertime T Storms can be very "notable".

All in all its a great place to have a sailboat. I am sure youll make some friends in Deltaville and there are so many neat places to explore and anchor overnight down there also.

If you ever come back up the bay give a holler.

Fair winds,

Dave
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 03-27-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake Monticello, VA
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jaalex is on a distinguished road
The boat was at Fairview Marina.

I realize that Bay can get bad weather wise but I was more worried about the big shipping traffic and the navigation. In that respect it wasn't that bad.

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 03-28-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaalex View Post
The boat was at Fairview Marina.

I realize that Bay can get bad weather wise but I was more worried about the big shipping traffic and the navigation. In that respect it wasn't that bad.

Jason
Jason,

Awesome. I knew from your postings you had enough experience to make the trip on your own and now you already have a bit of knowledge over a pretty good chunk of the bay. I think that will make you less hesitant to strike out and explore on your new boat so you'll enjoy it more.

Its true that the bay can get rough (and I've been dumb enough to put myself out there a few times with 30+ knot winds against tide) but the great thing is there are so many places on the bay to duck in, you don't really HAVE to be out in the snot. If you don't deliberately go out in a gale, the only thing you might encounter is a summer thunderstorm which of course can be scary, but other than a lightning strike is not likely to be really dangerous if you either maintain sea room or are securely anchored.

Enjoy Deltaville.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I would like to Crew in So Cal area BJSoCal Crew Wanted/Available 0 06-23-2010 10:46 AM
New to sailing in SF bay area stpTR Introduce Yourself 0 08-09-2009 10:31 PM
Recomendations for a surveryor in the Toledo/Sandusky area area ericob Boat Review and Purchase Forum 0 04-27-2008 09:34 PM
Looking to crew - SF Bay area mikesfbay Crew Wanted/Available 0 07-03-2003 02:32 PM
Sail Area Dan Dickison Buying a Boat Articles 0 01-31-2001 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.