Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011

IdRatherBeSailing is on a distinguished road
Reviews of Baltimore County Sailing Center

Seeking reviews for Baltimore County Sailing Center I'm considering enrolling my kids (ages 8 and 9) in the Baltimore County Sailing Center (BCSC) summer camp program, which includes instruction in 10' Excite Hunter sailing boats. Does anyone have experience with the BCSC in general, the summer camp or staff?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Both of my daughters have gone to that camp for many years. My eldest daughter went there for about 4 seasons and then took the job as a sailing instructor / counselor. My youngest has gone there for about 3 years. Both of them were involved in the sailing camp. I find that the staff is very kid centered and our daughters enjoyed it very much. The kids learn to pilot their own boats. The Xcites are fast, manueverable and responsive. The kids learn to capsize and right their boats and be in charge. They are divided by ability and learn the points of sail and all manner of sail trim and have fun doing it. The sailing venue is perhaps the best in the upper bay with the kids sailing in protected waters away from chop and current. Sailing camps in Annapolis sail on the Severne which is trafficy and full of choppy waters. Not so in Hawk Cove, the waters off Rocky Point County Park. At the end of the 2 week camp session, the kids put on a sailing demonstration for the parents. It is great to see that these kids come home tired and self assured! The older, intermediate sailors sail in JY 15's where they learn to sail as a team with a skipper and a mate. In short, I think it is a great program and my youngest (13 y.o.) will likely go there this summer as well.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 03-25-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Provide age of youngest daughter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook