Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011

beech699 is on a distinguished road
bottom paint Petit Hydrocoat

had a problem with fouling after using Petit Hydrocoat. Within 2 weeks of applying had a 1/4 inch of growth on bottom. After 2 months hauled the boat and reapplied more of the same from left over of second gallon. Fouled again.

Contacted Petits and was told that no other complains. They told me that I had applied it correctly after describing how the bottom was painted, temperatures, time before launch etc. Would do nothng to help me or replace with different paint. Has anyone else used this paint and had problems? If so did you contact the company and get the same put off?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by beech699 View Post
had a problem with fouling after using Petit Hydrocoat. Within 2 weeks of applying had a 1/4 inch of growth on bottom. After 2 months hauled the boat and reapplied more of the same from left over of second gallon. Fouled again.

Contacted Petits and was told that no other complains. They told me that I had applied it correctly after describing how the bottom was painted, temperatures, time before launch etc. Would do nothng to help me or replace with different paint. Has anyone else used this paint and had problems? If so did you contact the company and get the same put off?
I've been using it for 5 years on the Chesapeake including haul/splash without repainting with no problem. I will get some slime after a few months, and normally hire a diver once a season to mainly to scrape the running gear and check the zincs so I always have them wipe down the bottom. Pretty much the same routine for every boat I'm familiar with. Based on my experience I'm fairly disinclined to try a more expensive product that seems to require the same amount of upkeep.

Given my experience and the results of testing done by Practical Sailor I'd say your situation is far from normal and I am disappointed to hear that Pettit didn't step up to help you out. I'd think it has to be a bad batch.
Old 04-04-2011

talbot is on a distinguished road
for what it's worth

I am far from an expert. But I do remember reading in a "painting your bottom" article last year that different types of paint are more or less effective based on what is causing the fouling. Which in turn is determined by where you keep your boat. No specific fault of the paint, but try a different brand is what they said.
Here in Newburyport MA, for instance, I've had the best results with the cheaper West Marine one up from the bottom brand, go figure!
Talbot
Old 04-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Where are you located, fresh, salt, and what was the tempurature of the water, also, how much anti fouling metal is in the paint? What type of metal?

Lots of copper is what usually keeps a boat bottom clean. And maintenance. I use Pettite Vivid white, doesn't have a lot of copper, and I'm in a pretty high foulling area, but I dive on it every 2 weeks and before every race. Worked great last year.
Old 04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Where are you located, fresh, salt, and what was the tempurature of the water, also, how much anti fouling metal is in the paint? What type of metal?

Lots of copper is what usually keeps a boat bottom clean. And maintenance. I use Pettite Vivid white, doesn't have a lot of copper, and I'm in a pretty high foulling area, but I dive on it every 2 weeks and before every race. Worked great last year.
Hydrocoat is 40% Cuprus Oxide, same as SR40 but without the anti-slime agent.
Old 05-01-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
I've had good experience with Hydrocoat on the Chesapeake. Will use again.
Old 05-01-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Where is the boat located? What paint have you used in the past and what performance did you get from it? What are others using in your area with good results?

Not saying this is true of you, but it's a common misconception that anti fouling paint eliminates fouling. It does not. It merely retards it. In areas of high fouling, what you are experiencing may be typical for an ablative like Hydrocoat, which has a relatively low copper content when compared to some other paints. I don't blame Petit for not providing a remedy. The product is a proven one but Petit has zero control over the skill or knowlege of the DIY user or the conditions under which it was applied.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 05-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2011

beech699 is on a distinguished road
have used petit trinidad bottom paints for years and have never had a problme with it in either fresh or salt water. As far as I am concerned, the Hydrocoat paint that I purchased was just coloured water. It did not work in either fresh or salt water.
Old 05-06-2011

Quote:
have used petit trinidad bottom paints for years and have never had a problme with it in either fresh or salt water. As far as I am concerned, the Hydrocoat paint that I purchased was just coloured water. It did not work in either fresh or salt water.
Guess you are just lucky. Hydrocoat works fine for me and other posters and performed as well or better than many other paints in PS tests on the Chesapeake and Florida.

Maybe you didn't apply it properly or it wasn't compatable with the paint you put it over.
Old 05-08-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: bottom paint Petit Hydrocoat

Adding to this;

I am about to have the bottom of my 35' O'day soda blasted, then applying 2 gallons of Pettit Protect Epoxy, 2 gallons of Pettit Hydrocoat Red, followed by 2 coats (4 gallons) of Pettit Hydrocoat Blue. The theory is that when the red starts to show, it is time to repaint. I will then clean (as necessary) and spray the Prop, Strut & Prop Shaft with Pettit Transducer paint.

The boat is kept in Narragansett Bay.

I will post my experience with it.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.