Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Knapps Narrows depth?

Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Interesting story:

I raced (singlehanded) from the vicinity of Annapolis, to Dunn Cove in the Choptank River, with the Chesapeake Bay Pearson Sailing Assoc.

There was a 2 knot, fair current and 15-20kts of northerly breeze. We made the trip in 3.5 hours and I surfed my old P30 up to 9.9kts SOG, and up to 9kts STW. I averaged nearly 7 knots.

The northerly blew all the water out of the Bay, and I knew that I would not be getting through Knapp's Narrows that afternoon to return home, so I rafted up with all the other Pearson's (Tritons and others) and spent the night.

6am was high tide and the northerly had abated.

I got underway at 7am. BoatUS reported that the Narrows was passable, so I went. I favored the port side as directed, and got 6.5' on the depth finder. I start touching bottom when it reads 4 feet, so that means I only had 1.5 feet of water under the keel at high tide.

Whew.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-16-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

6am was high tide and the northerly had abated.

I got underway at 7am. BoatUS reported that the Narrows was passable, so I went. I favored the port side as directed, and got 6.5' on the depth finder. I start touching bottom when it reads 4 feet, so that means I only had 1.5 feet of water under the keel at high tide.

Whew.
West side of Knapps Narrows? Passing east to west? Near which marker(s) was the shoaling reported? Time did you pass through the Narrows?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
West side of Knapps Narrows? Passing east to west? Near which marker(s) was the shoaling reported? Time did you pass through the Narrows?

Thanks
Yes, the shoaling is on the west side of the bridge. The area I had problems was as I approached the red 4 after passing through the bridge.

I found passable water to my port side.

I was passing on the back side of a high high tide. I had asked the tender and didnt get any reporr of shoaling.
Old 06-16-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:

Thanks
Yes, west side. Passing east to west, or from Choptank to the Bay, if that helps.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yes, the shoaling is on the west side of the bridge. The area I had problems was as I approached the red 4 after passing through the bridge.

I found passable water to my port side.

I was passing on the back side of a high high tide. I had asked the tender and didnt get any reporr of shoaling.
Thanks..details are important.. In years past there where temp. buoys placed where the shoaling was..
Old 06-16-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks..details are important.. In years past there where temp. buoys placed where the shoaling was..
I don't remember ever seeing a temp bouy in the area I ran aground, but I have seen boats have trouble there before.

I thought I was far enought to port but clearly not. There was a big MY behind me and I felt sure he'd go aground as he passed me to port since I was was favoring that side of the channel already.

I defintely don't see how two boats could pass in that part of the channel so timing to have that section to yourself is critical.

FWIW, I don't plan to try it again until I hear its been dredged. With the exception of Dunn Cove, going around Black Walnut doesn't add much to any destination in the Choptank for us sailing out of Herring Bay.
Old 06-16-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

I believe one of the cruising guides said you should almost “take paint off” with reds #2 & 4 on the west side. We ran in and out last year at near high tide and saw 6 feet but I can only imagine it’s gotten worse since. It’s a little harrowing westbound and trying to hug those reds to port. Going eastbound, once past the reds we favored the south side of the channel until about halfway down the Knapps Narrows Marina floating dock. It shoals at its west end but there was plenty of depth from the midpoint eastward. 5-6 AM and 2-3 PM are the “rush hours” there with a huge number of crabbing boats running in and out at a speedy clip. They get impatient with pleasure boaters so probably best to avoid those times if you want to take things slowly.
Old 06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
5-6 AM and 2-3 PM are the “rush hours” there with a huge number of crabbing boats running in and out at a speedy clip. They get impatient with pleasure boaters so probably best to avoid those times if you want to take things slowly.
To include M/V 'Terrapin', the tour/work boat that runs out to the Popular Island project..I literally had its bow anchor over hanging my stern rail one time as I cautiously made my way thrue the western portion of the Narrows.. If I had suddenly run aground there would have been serious damage to my vessel...
Old 07-03-2014

EuroboyDC is on a distinguished road

Attaching myself to this thread rather than starting a closely-related new one, and I have a (probably) dumb question:

I'm planning to go to Knapps Narrows Marina from the Bay side on Saturday (as close to high tide as possible). I understand that the currents can be interesting. Am I correct in assuming that in the Narrows the ebbing current flows east to west, and flooding current west to east?

For the record, Bedouin is a Hunter 306 drawing 3'10".

Thanks!

Nico