Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
You can anchor in Back Creek. It's not such a bad idea. It is a bit tight but doable. The Strand might be a bit rough if weather kicks up. I've heard that you could anchor across the Tred Avon in Plaindealing Creek and take the Ferry across. Anyone else have any experience with that?

Latitude 38 is a good restaurant that's an easy walk or call them and they will pick you up.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
You can anchor in Back Creek. It's not such a bad idea. It is a bit tight but doable. The Strand might be a bit rough if weather kicks up. I've heard that you could anchor across the Tred Avon in Plaindealing Creek and take the Ferry across. Anyone else have any experience with that?

Latitude 38 is a good restaurant that's an easy walk or call them and they will pick you up.

Tod
Back Creek?? Don't know of any "Back Creek" near Oxford. Ferry wasn't running last week when I was there...

Schedule of the Oxford Ferry

..probably running now..

FYI..Oxford isn't a party town and watch your speed if your driving there..I understand they have 'Blue light' specials at Lat. 38 when ever the local gendarme 'lights up' in front of the restaurant with an unsuspecting tourist

Boating Destination - Oxford, Maryland

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Oxford,Md.
Old 04-18-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
So what's your point??

I thought the OP meant England. Where theres a minor nav problem doing that trip.

Lots of place names are recycled round the world. Makes traveling weird at times.

mark

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We've anchored in Plaindealing - pretty, quiet (in late Sept/early Oct) and protected, 8-9 feet deep mid-channel a good ways back in - we dinghied across to town so don't know about water taxi.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
A photo from the anchorage at Plaindealing: The Rest of the Cruise

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-18-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We also have done Plaindealing Creek....pretty place and short dingy ride over to town.

5 years ago we spent 3 days marooned in Oxford though waiting for the hurricane/ tropical storm ( I think is was Felix to pass through). That marina has an interesting fairway to the slips ( non existant) talk about a tight fit.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-18-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Ok, town creek, not back creek (my bad...). Oxford is a favorite destination since we don't want the party town atmosphere. Cutts and Case is a neat tour if still operating. Lat 38 is a great restaurant and the Robert Morris does a nice breakfast. Hinkley Yard has the tightest and quirkiest fairways that lend itself to a Hinkley Yacht's joystick control. People were pleasant but, like I said, their whole purpose is the feeding and servicing of the great Hinkley yacht-beast.
Old 04-18-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I thought the OP meant England. Where theres a minor nav problem doing that trip.

Lots of place names are recycled round the world. Makes traveling weird at times.

mark
Are you telling me that those bloody Brits stole the names from the US ? The Bustards. Nothing sacred in this world Mark, nothing sacred at all.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett