Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Lot's of businesses in Eastport had no idea this was going on. I've had a day. *grin* Spoken to Port A, Jabins, Davis' Pub, Mears (who made the application) and others.

If you come to the hearing look for a guy in a suit and a yellow ball cap.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
you can spin it however you want to try to justify it. In the end it's more anchoring restrictions. a slow and steady march to eventual total restictions on anchoring.
And look who is heading up the charge- two marinas adjacent to the area and some of their tennants , charter members of the "not in my back yard club"
keep it up , it's great for the booming local economy.
I'll be sure to pass along all the sentiment expressed here to all whom enquire about going to the annapolis area.
the saving grace is it's a big bay and there are many beautiful ANCHORAGES that ajoin communities that welcome my cruising dollars.
looks as if annapolis will join the "list" of locations to bypass.

Miami
Vero
State of Georgia
marco Island
St. Augustine
myrtle Beach,sc.

Stay tuned-
Old 04-26-2011
Mermaid Hunter

I think you are over-reacting Joe. Nothing has happened yet. The City is holding a hearing they don't have to in order to get input. No one is talking about "the view" being blocked. Boaters and the marinas they rent slips from are having trouble getting in and out of their slips because boats are anchored too close. Boats are being damaged because anchored boats are dragging down on them. These are real issues that should be addressed.

I could be wrong - we'll see this evening - but I think Annapolis is taking a very cautious approach to regulation.

Annapolis is one of the most welcoming places on the US East Coast to boaters. Every street that ends at the water has a free dinghy dock. There are free bicycles at City Dock for boaters. The free circulating bus downtown is called the "boater's bus." We have a free electric jitney system supported by downtown businesses. We have a City-operated pumpout boat ($5). We have reasonably-priced City moorings and still have room to anchor. If you anchor the Harbormaster will stop by to get your phone number so they can reach you if they notice a problem with your boat while you are out and about.

Welcome to Annapolis. We're glad you're here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Speak Up Back Creek Sailors

Old 04-26-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Dave, we'll probably see you there tonight (I'll pass on the suit, though). I think that cove's one of the *better* places on the creek to anchor - half-decent holding and out of the main trafficway. But because the *whole* creek is lined with boat slips, any logic that would allow this restriction to stand would apply elsewhere. I'm liking the idea of moorings, perhaps?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-26-2011
cruising all I can

Quote:
I think you are over-reacting Joe. Nothing has happened yet. The City is holding a hearing they don't have to in order to get input.
Right, no-one should be concerned until anchoring is outlawed.

Quote:
No one is talking about "the view" being blocked
Yea, why show your hand. (see red herring).

Quote:
Annapolis is one of the most welcoming places on the US East Coast to boaters
Although I enjoyed visiting w/ my family the first time I visited, I was cursed by the fellow at the yacht club face dock on fathers day morning in front of my then 3 year old daughter. (At which time we had stopped for directions/info seeing 1/2 dozen other sailors stopping as well). All the while, he was untying my docklines as my Daughter sat watching/listening.
Very welcoming.
On my second visit I anchored in spa creek and had a beter experience, w/ the harbormster who stopped to inform us of the availability of the pump-out boat,as well as giving us liturature pertaining to the area, admitedly a better experience.
I did ,however,notice yet more moorings in place limiting the anchoring opportunities.
I've been many places on the east coast of the US, and Annapolis doesn't get "the most friendly" award. on a 1-10 maybe a 4.
Old 04-26-2011
cruising all I can

My first mate just reminded me of several locations we visited that we were much more welcoming.

Oriental,NC. -the mayor came to the city dock to inform us the weather forecast was poor and we could stay as long as we wanted.(usualy 48Hrs. we thanked him ,but opted to anchor to allow others equal dock access,particularly a "more experienced" gentleman and his spouse in a trawler)

Ocracoke Island,NC- when inquiring as to the dinghy dockage fee adjacent to the community store . The owner looked puzzled (no fee) all the while apologizing for the "mess", they were recieving fresh produce !

Elizabeth City,NC- while waiting for the bridge to open. We were aproached by inflatable dinghies w/ people insisting we take a public courtesey dock and stay "at least the night". After accepting,while walking to and from a local rest/cafe people were coming out of bussineses approaching us welcoming us to town saying "we love you guys !" made us feel like visiting dignitaries.

Beaufort,SC.-while perusing the local shops , I mentioned my trade, and was there-after approach by several people from the town emploring me to consider staying to set up shop and offering everything from lodging for my family,transportation and even a storefront near the marina! I had to dissapoint as I told them we were just passing through/traveling.

Cape Charles- approached by a wateman (From Tangier)who was headed to a supermarket wanting to know if we needed anything,then had to insist on paying for ice and milk.

Tangier Island- The Fabulous Mr. Milton Parks,words cannot describe how welcoming this man can be,God bless him. Not to mention meeting the mother of the waterman we met in Cape Charles who was a vary gracious woman.

Smith Island,MD.- Pauly,marina and B&B Proprieter, we'll never forget this community and the welcome we get every time we visit from the ladies at the cake shop to the local pastor who visited us dockside.

Chpeake City,MD- when inquiring at the town dock/waterfront about the availability of laundry/provisions. We were invited by a local grandmother and mother of twin girls, that although they would be working the next day,we were welcome to use whatever we needed in there homes ! laundry,internet,etc. THEN- as we walked around town we were stopped and given fresh milk,bread,etc. from the same folks (again had to force them to accept payment)

I could continue as the memories come rushing back and am overwhelmed by the kindness remembered.
A stark contrast to other places,no doubt.

These experiences keep Annapolis from taking the "Most Friendly" title. what with the 75' ordinance,ever expanding moorings effectively limiting anchoring,and the ever present landowners and marine bussineses pursuing there ajendas ,indiferent to the historical Maritime traditions of the area, that has perpetuated a transformation of Annapolis into just another overpriced tourist destination, where once a thriving working waterfront existed.
Old 04-26-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I spent two weeks anchored in that spot for the 2007 boat show (and got to meet a lot of you fine folks from that area). Had good holding and saw no boats dragging. I anchored out close to the channel, but I did see a number of boats anchoring pretty close to other boats.

Seems to me, if they feel they have an actual problem that needs to be solved, a better approach might be to put a limit on how many boats can anchor in that area (yeah, I know, that's still a restriction) and perhaps a time limit. Be a hassle for the Harbormaster, but might be a fair compromise.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-26-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
My first mate just reminded me of several locations we visited that we were much more welcoming.
Joe - I did say "Annapolis is one of the most welcoming places."

I've enjoyed all the places you listed and agree that they are welcoming. We all have our own experiences and I have had pleasant but not necessarily great experiences at the places you list, just as your first visit to Annapolis was not what residents here would have liked. Still, I would return to all the places on your list. I hope you will return to Annapolis. If you do, you can count on me (as long as I'm in town) for transportation to grocery, laundry, and chandlery.

Quote:
what with the 75' ordinance
And here we differ. Don't I deserve the ability to get in and out of my slip to go sailing? There are 50 boats along my fairway. One inconsiderate person anchoring too close can block us all in. It's happened before. Why should I have to get in my dink and push a boat aside so a neighbor can go fishing? Some people are just rude. Why should I have to go pull a boat off a friends bow that is grinding away his Awlgrip because that boat's owner can't anchor effectively?

I despise regulation. My hope is that we can address the issue at hand without new regulation. The 75' rule however is just good sense.

Quote:
ever expanding moorings effectively limiting anchoring
I can't remember the last time Annapolis added moorings. We do have a number, and most are heavily used. I suspect the lack of use of the existing five Back Creek moorings will be reflected in the decision following tonight's hearing.

You point is well-taken about working waterfronts, but I disagree that City policies drove the change. Even Rock Hall, St Michaels, and Oxford are having trouble maintaining commercial waterman. For decades, waterman had a huge discount to stay on City Dock. We'd love to see them back but they simply can't make the numbers work. BTDT.

Regardless, I posted this thread to get people -- sailors and boaters -- out tonight to be heard. I'll be there. Who else is coming?

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 04-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Just got home to the boat - pretty tired. Was a good evening. Details tomorrow.