Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
The meeting of the Board of Port Wardens last night was a demonstration of good Government - thoughtful, deliberate, and concerned about unintended consequences.

Herewith my follow-up letter to Alderman Arnett who represents Ward 8 of the City of Annapolis.

Quote:
Thank you again for your time yesterday on the issue of the proposed no anchoring zone in Back Creek.

After extended discussion and testimony the Board of Port Wardens deferred a decision pending additional investigation and thought. In support of the proposal were the General Manager of Mears Marina and a Mears slipholder who has been 'trapped' in his slip by anchored boats; against the proposal were two local boaters (the owner of S/V Cinderella and me) who object on principal. Everyone--the Board, the Harbormaster, and all concerned citizens--agreed without exception that there is a real problem that must be addressed. There was no agreement on an appropriate solution.

Interestingly during a boat ride in the area immediately before the meeting I noted a small boat anchored off the Mears Marina A Dock approximately 40' from the facility, in clear violation of the existing 75' stand-off rule.

I believe strongly that Annapolis is a very special place in the boating and cruising community. That reputation is a very fragile thing. Witness the speed with which Florida jurisdictions including Fort Lauderdale have disaffected the boating public with anchoring restrictions and other access limitations. I continue to believe that more aggressive enforcement of existing regulations should come first; if the Harbormaster's office needs additional resources than so be it. I defer to Harbormaster Walters to determine what those might be.

I will continue to follow this issue with great attention.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Nicely done, Dave; other than an email I wrote this morning complimenting the harbormaster's approach by inviting community input, I'm still struggling. I didn't hear anything last night that indicated that conditions were different in that cove than anywhere else on Back Creek, just exacerbated by the tighter quarters and the greater length of the boats. (We're only 33 feet and we've had trouble with too-close anchorers too, but that doesn't mean I want to look out on an empty horizon and miss all the interesting folks that travel thru here) Using the enforcement tools we already have is a logical first step. I hope the city doesn't change who we are to accomodate either the bigbux boaters *or* the scruffy derelicts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

"Thou shalt not be scruffy" *grin* I'm looking a little scruffy myself today.

Seriously - I'm not a fan at all of the derelicts. I think that is something to be addressed directly and not with a broad brush that will have unintended consequences.

Won't be today, but as soon as there is room in there I'm going to try to anchor over there to see if there is any room that is legal given the current 75' regulation.

Old 04-27-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
It just seems to me that the current 75' rule needs to be enforced - not new regulations drawn up. Or maybe a new regulation where a ticket gets issued for dragging into a marina or something? I don't know - but I'm glad to hear that they are investigating this further as opposed to just doing an immediate ruling against.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 04-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

@labatt - I agree with you. I think enforcement of existing regulations should precede any new rules or ordinances.

I'm beating the drum on this.

The City of Annapolis is taking the issue seriously and proceeding in an open and transparent manner. I'm proud of my adopted hometown.

If you don't show up you can't complain.

Old 04-27-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
If I head to my boat today I could be there by, let's say, end of May?

Pelican is still on the hard in CT. She was supposed to be launched at the beginning of April but the yard was slow getting our new chainplates fabricated. Oh well.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 04-27-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
SVA,

Thanks again for your report and efforts on this.

Regarding the "75-Foot Rule" -- I confess that I was personally unaware of it. Is this an Annapolis ordinance? Maryland? CG?

Could you point me to the exact wording?

I agree that enforcing the existing rules is probably a place to start. But the first step in enforcement should be a public awareness campaign to get the word out about this rule. Many of these boats that are anchoring, probably are not even aware of the rule.

Also, given the anchor swing radius, I can see where the 75' rule could be somewhat problematic. Again, this is where moorings with short scope are a nice solution.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-27-2011

John, signs explaining the 75-foot rule (and citing the appropriate ordinance) are posted on marina pilings visible from the water. I'll take the dinghy out and get you all the exact wording when I get a chance - might be tomorrow given the way my today is going, but, yes, its posted. (maybe not prominently enough, or closely-spaced enough?)

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 04-27-2011

More on the Proposed Anchoring Restrictions | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

and
! And a new project:
Old 04-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Regarding the "75-Foot Rule" -- I confess that I was personally unaware of it. Is this an Annapolis ordinance? Maryland? CG?

Could you point me to the exact wording?
Annapolis code 15.10.080 para B6. I have the citation but not the wording. I can't make the library before it closes tonight but I'll find it and cite it in the next day or so.

The upshot is that boats are not to anchor so that they swing within 75' of a dock. I think the underlying intent is to avoid restricting passage of owners and slipholders between docks and the channel. I'm really engaged on this, so you can count on me getting back on the issue, I just need a bit of time to run the code down.