Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
July has FIVE FULL weekends - so how many of them ...

... are you planning to spend sailing/anchoring out?

We're hoping to spend this summer exploring the Chesapeake. Ironic that we've been living aboard here 9 years and have gotten to see so little of it. Dan's been up and down the bay several dozen times, but mostly on Navy boats and underway 24/7, no stopping or exploring side creeks or anchorages. Then when we retired, we just blasted thru trying to get south as quickly as possible. About time to explore the scenery close to home, methinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
As I sit here in the Birmingham International Airport....

What a treat awaits you!!!! If you are a dedicated gunkholer, there are so many little hidey holes, you can anchor out with just you and the ospreys and eagles and when you want to get your exposure to town life, there are the few stops that offer all you could ask for.

You have to stop at Tangier for crab cakes....St. Mary's City for the history, I am eager to travel up the Potomac to visit DC sites...may not appeal to many but I would love to go and not have to worry about traffic, parking, yada, yada, yada. Chrisfield has a wonderful state run marina for a break. I have not been there for a few years so it may have changed but it was a nice respite for us. Irvington, Va is kind of a good spot to stop also. Mobjack Bay is kind of a shallow but interesting area and then the York...can visit Yorktown...then Hampton and you can go to the Maritime Museum in Newport News...that is the best ever for maritime history...worth more than a day's visit. Also Jamestown is a terrific spot you can travel too. I am sure you got the experience of Norfolk and Portsmouth when you did the big trip South. Old Point Comfort Fort is worth a visit. My Dad always said you could spend a lifetime exploring the Chesapeake.

I am so jealous. We did the length of the Bay on a 26 footer years ago and had a ball. Our needs were fresh ice, fresh vegetables and an occasional meal out. The Tides Inn provided free ice and the offer of a car (free if we just put in some fuel and back then that was nothing) and we anchored out! We met so many folks who were so kind and generous it really made the experience a wonderful memory of a lifetime. It is one of the reasons I am eager to go cruisin'. Hope you have the Gunkholer's Guide...very helpful.

cheers,

Leslie

s/v Tango
lying in Oxford, MD
Old 04-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We're in yet another gunkholing heavean in BC, we're heading our June 30th with no plans to return before Labour day so I guess we're doing all the July weekends!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)