Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road
I've come to the conclusion that quantity is better than quality since I'm new to sailing. After the first season, I will decide if that should change.

Joe - I really enjoy reading your website and the joy your S/V brings you and your family. Thanks for sharing that...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
my website

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayWindRider View Post
Joe - I really enjoy reading your website and the joy your S/V brings you and your family. Thanks for sharing that...
It is like an on-line log of what we do on the boat, big and small. I am always shocked at how widely read it is when I check the cluster map. Perhaps you might consider doing the same for your new boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2011
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
It is like an on-line log of what we do on the boat, big and small. I am always shocked at how widely read it is when I check the cluster map. Perhaps you might consider doing the same for your new boat.
If you have seen some hits on your site from Central America and the Middle East it was probably me

I've been thinking about it, but I won't be heading to any exotic locales for a while.
Old 05-18-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
I live in Arlington and keep my boat on the Occoquan. I day sail a lot and don't want to have to drive all the way to the Bay or feel I'm stuck there for a weekend on my Pearson 26, which is basically boat camping (not too comfy).

PDQ is generally right, sailing is much better imo south of Mason Neck, where I am, as it opens up towards Quantico.

Yes, lots of powerboaters, a PITA often. Yes, flukey wind compared to the Bay. From my dock to Cobb Island is about 10 hrs. motoring, it's 4 to Aquia Harbor (including nearly an hour to get into Aquia Creek).

I'd say try Quantico and see what you want to do. I'd hardly ever see Catalyst if she was at Deale or Shadyside or anywhere on the Bay.

if I decide to move her over there after I retire, we will be moving too, I just don't want to have a 60-90 minute drive every time I want to go to the boat, though there are way more services over there than on the Potomac.

I do 99% of my sailing between Mason Neck and Quantico.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-23-2011

wkruse is on a distinguished road
We are currently sailing out of Washington Sailing Marina. It is nice, and only 3 miles from home, but the river isn't great for sailing.

I am trying to convince my buddy, and co-owner of our Catalina 25, to move it to the Chesapeake. I am thinking Annapolis or Deale. Any suggestions on a marina in Deale with a pool and no wait list?
Old 05-23-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Hhn
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2011

trojan3 is on a distinguished road
I'm fairly new to the area and was wondering, is it possible to sail all the way up from Cedar Run down by Manassas to the Potomac River? I've heard there are a few dams along the Occoquan, so I'm assuming not? What would be the farthest you could get into the Northern Virginia area and still be able to reach the Potomac unimpeded? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
I keep my 27' boat in the bay.

It's less than an hour drive from DC.

I would not contemplate keeping it in the Potomac. (Though plenty of people do)

The Washington Sailing Marina is full of them.
The Potomac is a BIG river. The upper part of the river isn't the best for larger sailboats, but you get further down river, Colonial Beach to the bay, and it really opens up and gives you plenty of space to move around. I sail out of the Yeocomico and it takes me a good one and a half hours to get to the closest marina in Maryland and that's motoring and pretty much a straight shot across the river.

I might add that if you keep your boat in Northumberland County where I am, property taxes are Very attractive. Much less than any other county on the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay.

Last edited by chuck53; 11-28-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan3 View Post
I'm fairly new to the area and was wondering, is it possible to sail all the way up from Cedar Run down by Manassas to the Potomac River? I've heard there are a few dams along the Occoquan, so I'm assuming not? What would be the farthest you could get into the Northern Virginia area and still be able to reach the Potomac unimpeded? Thanks for your help!
The Occoquan R. is not navigable past the town of Occoquan heading in from the Potomac and upstream (towards Manassas)...

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 12-29-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
Here's my one experience on the Potomac. I put in at a private ramp in McCay Cove (Tall Timbers area) and set out. Was the strongest winds and biggest waves I've ever had the boat in. The video was taken during a lull in the waves. Was a lot of fun in a 17 foot boat! Wouldn't be any big thing for the larger boats.

Crossing the Potomac in chop - YouTube

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake