Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Trash!????

How do you handle your trash? I know I must be doing something wrong... Gone for a weekend, two people, dinner Friday, 3 meals Saturday, 2 meals Sunday I can count on generating a bag of trash a day.

By the time I pack in any foam meat trays, cracker boxes, cookie plastic (break preventers) holders, half egg cartons, bacon packages, soda cans, wine bottles, cans for items cold or hot, fruit juice bottles, an occasional paper plate, paper towels, it gets to be a surprising amount of trash. Fresh vegetables and fruits come in the bags they are bought with. Same with meat. But still those items go in the trash bag.

When I get back to the marina, I separate out the recyclable items...aluminum, glass, plastic. but Wow!! it just seems like it is more than I would like. We will put a bag of trash in the dinghy as we get a second bag but gee wiz, surely folks cruising don't have this much "stuff" accumulating????

Hey, how do you handle your trash?

Looking forward to your thoughts....

Leslie

Tango, Cabo Rico 34
still lying in Oxford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Repackage everything before you leave the dock.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
If it is just me, my trash is minimal.

If with the family, we use three trash bags. One under the sink for wet trash, dry trash (compacted paper), and trash for the recyclable located in the wet locker. We don't use disposable stuff much (no paper plates, etc.). We bring in them, use and wash and take them back home. It works OK for us.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-09-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
As i2f says, we strip the cardboard boxes off things before they come aboard, and repackage into Tupperware-type containers. Eggs go in a camping-type carrier. Then the trash itself - cut the ends off cans and flatten them before putting them in the trash, any cardboard you do still have gets flattened also bfore going in the trash. Bulky things that don't really stink (like wine bottles) go in a bag at the bow to keep from quickly using up space in the main trash. Aslo, we look at packaging options like box wine instead of bottle (take off the box and just store the bag) or a carbonator machine instead of individual soda cans. You know you're a cruiser (kroozer?) when you go to the grocery store and you're more excited by the packages the food comes in, than you are by the food itself ...

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-09-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I don't think my wife and I generate quite that much but we do struggle with trash management. My biggest problem is that I firmly believe life is too short to drink crummy beer, so bottles are an issue. I'm searching for a decent beer that is sold in cans, but I think it's a Quixotic pursuit. I bought a brand called Mamma's Little Yellow Pils in Annapolis last fall that was about as good a canned beer as I've found thus far.

Long story short, I bought a can crusher which really helps with the bulk of the trash. Coors light cans are slightly too tall to fit it for some reason so that give me a reason to tell guests that swill is not welcome on the boat.
Old 05-16-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Several years ago I spent a week in the Wind Rivers with a buddy of mine, climbing 1500-spires and enjoying nature. When you conside that we had to pack in and out shelter, sleeping gear, food, trash, and ropes/hardware for serious vertical climbing, your trash problems are very surmountable.

We don't live so spartan on the boat, but a family of 4 goes about 3 days per bag. Flatten boxes, cook from fresh ingridients (vegtibles and rice, for eg., have almost no packaging), and leave some packaging at home.

Beer still comes in bottles, but only a few a day. Bottled water is probably the largest portion of our waste, which is shear lazyness, I admit. Didn't take that to the Wind Rivers.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-17-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
I solved this problem by rebuilding our Westerbeke 30 to hook up to a trash macerator that then separates and fuses the material at an atomic level for use as a pollution free form of fuel. I can get about 150nm on a few beer cans and a half-eaten bologna sandwich.
Old 05-17-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If you had room to take it in there is room to take it out.

First, as noted above, reduce the packaging at the dock before you leave.

A lot of things people throw away are clean, so can go back in storage -- boxes, bags, bottles, and some cans can be stowed back in the pantry or locker they came from. Those are most likely to be recycled where there is infrastructure for it.

Inshore, trash is mostly wet stuff (paper towels, coffee grounds), food debris, and plastic.

Offshore it's just plastic, as everything permissible under MARPOL goes over the side.

Janet and I generated one 8 gallon trash bag in a week around the Bay last year. You can do it if you give it some thought ahead of time.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-17-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
On land at home we, two of us, fill up a 13 gallon garbage bag in two weeks, on the boat we have a 5 gallon pail with a bag in it, that lasts us a week, we buy mostly in small bulk so there is minimal packaging, if it has a place on the boat full it has a place empty too. Remove as much of the flashy package as you can before you get to the boat. bottles and cans give a quick rinse then put them back where you store the full ones just upside down so you know whats what. get some good sissors and cut up plastic and cardboard into small pieces so they pack better,
And most fuel docks will take your garbage if your buying fuel from them.
Old 05-17-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Offshore it's just plastic, as everything permissible under MARPOL goes over the side.
Thogh partially incorrect in stating MARPOL regs..however next time you sail through the Sargasso Sea you might change your mind after seeing the amount of plastic just floating around...

Plastics at SEA | North Atlantic Expedition | Sea Education Association (SEA)

Last edited by aa3jy; 05-17-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.