SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Rock Hall shoaling (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/74547-rock-hall-shoaling.html)

SVAuspicious 05-17-2011 07:59 PM

Rock Hall shoaling

Looks like 4ish feet MLLW getting into Rock Hall this year. Read the comments. Anyone done any local sounding yet?

Rock Hall Harbor Shoaling Problem : Request Made To Re-Locate 2 Day Marks

velero 05-18-2011 08:28 AM

Dave,

Two weeks ago the low tide was lower than normal and I ran agound in between the red and green at the end of the jetty. I draw 5.5 ft. My usal approach based on the chart is to follow green day marker #1 to red 4.

Coming out of the harbor I made sure it was high tide and followed a local. The right way to enter the harbor is to align the two reds #4 and #6 about 100 yards south of #4 and proceed slowly. Or wait for a local like I have done several times in the past.

SVAuspicious 05-18-2011 10:12 AM

From the article it sounds like the deepest spot is out of the marked channel.

mltroy 05-18-2011 08:23 PM

RH Channel Markers to be moved

here's an update from the Rock Hall Wave Rock Hall Wave - All the News We have Time for in Rock Hall, Maryland

"In a phone call and email to Rock Hall Wave, Kent County Commissioner and Rock Hall Town Manager, Ronnie Fithian, forwarded the good news that the United States Coast Guard has approved Rock Hall’s request to move the channel market buoys at the entrance to our harbor. In doing this, boaters, sports fishermen and commercial watermen will find the entrance more navigable. Ronnie said, “I really want to thank Congressman Andy Harris and Delegate Dick Sossi for the help and support on getting us to the right people and to the help we need.”

Town Manager Fithian is waiting to hear back on the date of execution. "

Not sure what the depth in the remarked channel will be but I expect more info will be forthcoming.

Mary Lou
Rhodes 22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD

SVAuspicious 05-19-2011 03:58 PM

Thanks Mary Lou.

Here is the direct link USCG Approves and Plans To Move Buoys At Entrance of Rock Hall Harbor

I look forward to learning the new MLLW numbers.

aa3jy 05-20-2011 08:02 AM

As a regular on the 'USCG Notices to Mariners' I see no mention of shoaling nor any mention of moving navigational aids in Rock Hall Harbor.. only this..

Mariners are advised that the swim portion of the “Rock Hall Triathlon” is scheduled to occur in Rock Hall Harbor on June 25,
2011 and June 26, 2011, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Sunday. Approximately 400
swimmers will compete on marked courses, counter-clockwise along a 1500-meter course on Saturday and a 750-meter course
on Sunday, at Rock Hall Landing Marina (Dock A) near Waterman’s Crab House. Bright yellow triangular turn buoys will mark
the northwest and southeast ends of the swim course. Swimmers will be supported by sponsor-provided kayaks and lifeguard
surfboards. Official patrol personnel on scene can be contacted on marine band radio channel 16 VHF-FM. For any comments
or questions, contact Coast Guard Sector Baltimore, Waterways Management Division, at (410) 576-2674 or
Ronald.L.Houck@uscg.mil. Chart 12272.

SVAuspicious 05-20-2011 09:51 AM

There won't be an LNM for the marks until they are moved.

I'm not sure why the shoaling hasn't been reported as it is substantial.

aa3jy 05-20-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 732334)
I'm not sure why the shoaling hasn't been reported as it is substantial.

If someone doesn't report then there is no reports to NOTM's..

AIDS TO NAVIGATION DISCREPANCY REPORTING
To report any Aids to Navigation discrepancies (missing, damaged, extinguished lights, off station),
shoaling or hazards to navigation, discrepancies to bridge lighting, please contact the following 24 hour numbers:
1. For PA, NJ, DE waters, coastal and tributaries contact COGARD SECTOR DELAWARE BAY at (215) 271-4940.
2. For MD, DE in the Upper Chesapeake Bay and tributaries contact COGARD SECTOR BALTIMORE at (410) 576-2525.
3. For VA in Lower Chesapeake Bay below Smith Point Light and tributaries and VA, MD Eastern Shore Bay and
coastal contact COGARD SECTOR HAMPTON ROADS at (757) 483-8567.
4. For NC waters, coastal and tributaries contact COGARD SECTOR NORTH CAROLINA at (252) 247-4570.

SVAuspicious 05-20-2011 02:31 PM

We know it has been reported since the CG has approved although not yet implemented a channel marker move.

aa3jy 05-20-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 732431)
We know it has been reported since the CG has approved although not yet implemented a channel marker move.

Maybe so..but the rest of the world doesn't know that...