SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Farewell SailNet Friends

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 · (Edited)
SailNet Friends,

I acknowledge that it is poor form to use the BB for personal communications. I hope you will indulge one given my 11 years of membership with no such prior infraction!

I've left your sailing fraternity, but have been flattered by recent "private e-mails" to me asking if all is well. Those, I've answered privately but realized that it may have been poor form on my part to leave without even the courtesy of a polite goodbye.

We have decided to sell our boat and move to other pleasures. I'd use the phrase "swallow the anchor" but I think that is reserved (or should be) for more serious sailors than I ever was. In response to the e-mails, I'm happy to say that all is well, no health, or financial, or emotional issues involved in the decision. I turned 65 this month; my morning runs have gone from 6 to 2 miles, belly from 36" to 38", and attention span from days to mere minutes! It's time to fit all of that into a new scheme of entertainment. We spent a week in London and a week in Prague in the off season and Ireland is "on deck" next, both Oriole Park and Nationals Park are luring to me for day-games (despite the abysmal standings). I like that, and you'd be surprised how much of that can be done as an alternative to keeping a boat afloat, even one as trouble-free as we are fortunate enough to own.

Over the years, I "compiled" (not authored) a couple of things that should remain in your "public domain" so here are their links, both in harmless .pdf:

Chesapeake Bay Eats List

Maine Sail's Polishing Directions

SailNet sailors, You all have always been a source useful information, good entertainment & camaraderie, and thank you, friends, for your interest in me. I'll not lurk the bulletin board anymore, but will reply to any e-mails. Goodbye and please accept the traditional wish of fair winds & following seas.

See less See more
#2 ·
Best wishes in your future endeavours, thanks for letting the board know what's going on, Wayne. With a rep of 11 on a relatively low post count (quality, not quantity!) obviously you are well thought of here.. very few members have reached that plateau. Congrats on that.

Good luck with your sale, are you really going to be able to avoid 'lurking' at all???:)

#5 ·
Best wishes for Act II (or Act III, or whichever - curious people try lots of interesting things) I've enjoyed the small amount of time we've spent together at the MYC gatherings and the photo op.

#6 ·
Wayne,

As I said in my private e mail to you, you and Sally are one of the nicest couples we have met on the Chesapeake. You love for life and great conversation will always be appreciated. Your posts have been extrodinary. Every time I look at the beautiful pictures Joe took on that dreary September day of all of our boats on the photo shoot I remember it was you who organized it and kept it together ( even though I thought I ticked you off when I jumped the start).

You and Sally will always be in Donna and my thoughts, and when ever you get the yen for a sail, e mail us. wed love to have you come with us anytime.

Dave

#8 ·
Wayne,

All the very best to you. That sounds like a great lifestyle you'll be focussing on now. Enjoy it!! But there's no reason you have to be a complete stranger, either. Stop in anytime and say "hi". We'd love to hear about your travels/adventures whether you go by boat or boeing. Cheers - John

#9 ·
Bummer dude! I'll toast one in your honor next time I'm out on the Pax, if you promise to do so in my honor next time you're at an O's game. I'm pretty much stuck watching minor league baseball down here in Richmond. But at least our team wins occasionally.

Fair winds!
Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

#10 ·
Wayne, it is a sad day for Chesapeake bay sailors. But, I am glad it is not a health/financial issue. Life is too short to hang on to things that do not turn you on and if lust for sailing has diminished, then it is time. Your efforts on behalf of our Sailnet group have been appreciated and you will be missed. If there is a time when you want to step back on a sailboat let any of us know I am sure we would all compete to host you for a day or longer.

Fair winds in your next passion.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for your contributions to the gems here

Wayne, you were such a helpful force in organizing the Photo Op of last year, I am ever grateful to you, Joe and his team for the brilliant idea that became so many beautiful pics for so many of us. I also visited your polishing paper. Had to print that off as it certainly looked worthy.

We know you will be missed here but it sounds like you are looking forward to the next chapter. There is always SOPB (sailiing other people's boats) and I am sure you will have no trouble finding a spot aboard if you miss it. I am so happy we got to meet at last year's photo op dinner.

Good luck with your sale of your beautiful s/v Virginia Dare. It will be a lucky person who gets that vessel.

best wishes for good health and fun times!!

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34
still lying in Oxford, MD

#13 · (Edited)
Just check the YW listing for HR, VD is in the Sale Pending status. Good luck and congrats to both parties. :).

There was another one, HR39 in CT which has a boom furling sold in a week. It proves that a good boat still sells very well. Only the generic and ill-maintained boats have the problem of selling. :)

Edited:

Got words from the broker, DV is still on sale, not sure why YW listed as such. Hurry, anyone who are interested in her - the Land Rover of the Seas. Damn, I wish I had rich parents :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.