Bow pulpit smashed &c.: Annapolis repair yard recommendations please - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Question Bow pulpit smashed &c.: Annapolis repair yard recommendations please

A power boater in the slip across from mine (on the Occoquan R. off the Potomac) had what he said was a heat incident yesterday (not drunk per all who were there, I was not) and rammed his boat in a glancing blow off my beloved Pearson 26's port bow.

Some significant damage including:

1. Bow pulpit bent/cracked (Need a new pulpit)
2. Stanchion bases pulled into/out of deck (Need fiberglass & core repair work w/ new stanchion backing plates for pulpit)
3. Furler drum smashed/damaged (furler appears OK but only based on a quick look and pull on the furler line)
4. port bow chock broken/ torn up
5. port running light lens cracked

Luckily due to a glancing blow and stout Pearson construction, I don't see any other FG damage (I have more pix but here are 4).

My dilemma is that I'm near Mason Neck, VA, 87 miles up the Potomac. Ft. Washington Marina (MD) is 4 hrs. away; Kinsale Harbor is about 16 hrs. away (2 days motoring); Annapolis is 3 days away (maybe 4 dep. on weather and tide?) and it's miserable much of this time of year in the hot & humid weather (imo).

But clearly Annapolis has the facilities to do all this, and my rigger (West River Rigging), who did a great job in '03 replacing everything, is right there. A HUGE Hassle for me to get there esp. dealing w/ heavy parental aging/eldercare issues now but that seems like the way to go probably.

I'll talk w/ BoatUS today re claim (other party is insured, too, not BoatUS I think)...

Can anyone recommend among the Annapolis yards a reliable quality place to get this work done? I want good quality work and since it's an insurance claim, the cost is the other guy's problem for the most part.

I'm unfamiliar w/ the yards there. Jabin's seems to be well equipped for this ... are there others folks recommend, and any thoughts on Jabin's?

Feel free to contact me off the forum if you like (fendertweed AT gmail DOT com). I think I can get a pulpit from Tops In Quality in Mich. but could also get one made in Annapolis. The old/current one is still on the boat and in good enough shape for someone to get dimensions.

Thanks for any help, this is a HUGE PITA at a time when I can least afford to be spending time dealing with boat issues.

Regards,
Jon

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 05-31-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Don't really see much that could not be repaired there, or at least removed and replaced there...pull the pulpit, take to fab guy, while out repair the rubrail and cleats. The replace/rebed the pulpit. Replace the light...

BTW, it is only about 10-11 hours at 6Knts from you to kinsale. There are a lot of options short of Annapolis..not sure why the desire to "take" it somewhere.

Tell BoatUS about it, check the work and sail...let them "worry"...
Old 05-31-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We had superb service from "Don" a fabricator with Madden Masts & Rigging; now M Yacht Services, [next to Jabin's] 410-280-2752. I'm having trouble posting photos; if I can't figure out how to get it done by the end of today I'll send you the photo by email.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 05-31-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to add location
Old 05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Don't really see much that could not be repaired there, or at least removed and replaced there...pull the pulpit, take to fab guy, while out repair the rubrail and cleats. The replace/rebed the pulpit. Replace the light...

BTW, it is only about 10-11 hours at 6Knts from you to kinsale. There are a lot of options short of Annapolis..not sure why the desire to "take" it somewhere.

Tell BoatUS about it, check the work and sail...let them "worry"...

Thanks for the reply ... it took me ~10 hrs. to my slip from Cobb I. in '08 (w/out favorable tides).

I have a claim started w/ BoatUS and am waiting to hear from the adjuster... will go down today to tape over the various holes to avoid further core exposure.

I am too overwhelmed (drowning) in eldercare (elder parent) issues to have any time to do anything about this myself so I have to take it somewhere. I won't be able to get the pulpit off and to a fab shop myself given everything else going on (including it won't fit in my car).

There's also the issue of the furling drum (at the very least it looks like that has to be replaced, it's all torn up externally & internally and will tear up the furling line, if it even works properly to furl/unfurl). I don't know if they can do that without taking the rig down (use a halyard as a temp. forestay, for ex.), I would hope so... I don't see any sign that the foil is damaged.

I would LOVE to avoid going to Annapolis so appreciate the suggestions.

Has anyone had work done recently at Kinsale Harbor and were you comfortable with the quality, etc.? I stopped there in '08 on my river cruise and they had what looked like an extensive shop.

I'll need rigging, stainless steel repair/fab. and deck repair and given the extreme time limitations I have being the sole caretaker for my mother, I really want/need to get it somewhere that can do those tasks in one trip if possible.

Thanks,
Jon

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 05-31-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Dats de pits but at least it was not a hit and run!
Old 05-31-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertweed View Post
Thanks for the reply ... it took me ~10 hrs. to my slip from Cobb I. in '08 (w/out favorable tides).

I have a claim started w/ BoatUS and am waiting to hear from the adjuster... will go down today to tape over the various holes to avoid further core exposure.

I am too overwhelmed (drowning) in eldercare (elder parent) issues to have any time to do anything about this myself so I have to take it somewhere. I won't be able to get the pulpit off and to a fab shop myself given everything else going on (including it won't fit in my car).

There's also the issue of the furling drum (at the very least it looks like that has to be replaced, it's all torn up externally & internally and will tear up the furling line, if it even works properly to furl/unfurl). I don't know if they can do that without taking the rig down (use a halyard as a temp. forestay, for ex.), I would hope so... I don't see any sign that the foil is damaged.

I would LOVE to avoid going to Annapolis so appreciate the suggestions.

Has anyone had work done recently at Kinsale Harbor and were you comfortable with the quality, etc.? I stopped there in '08 on my river cruise and they had what looked like an extensive shop.

I'll need rigging, stainless steel repair/fab. and deck repair and given the extreme time limitations I have being the sole caretaker for my mother, I really want/need to get it somewhere that can do those tasks in one trip if possible.

Thanks,
Jon
The other guy broke it, so he's responsible for getting it fixed. If you can't get someone from Annapolis (or where ever you choose have the repairs done) to come do the work where the boat is, then hire a captain to take the boat to where the repairs can be done and return it to where you left it before it was damaged. All at the other guy's expense as it should be.
Old 05-31-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I will second wingonwings suggestion. Jabins yard is a good place.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-31-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No, the rig does not need to come down. I have replaced a number of furlers.

That said, the insurance guys should be able to help put this together. They can either tow it somewhere, have the work done at your dock. Relax. This is not so bad. Tape up the holes and focus on the important stuff at home.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-31-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Man that really sucks! We sailed back to the marina yesterday afternoon around 3 and didn't see anything (left for home around 5). Were you there when it happened? It'd be nice to know that if one of our neighbors did this that they actually stepped up and told you.

Anyway, I'd see about having a stainless fabricator come to the boat. I'm sure they could take measurements and then remove the pieces to be repaired or fabricated. Some of them may also have mobile welding units. BoatUS should be helpful with the process of picking a repair facility. And you shouldn't have to worry about removing anything - all labor should be covered.

Also, sorry to hear about the personal issues. Now I know why we haven't seen you much this season. PM or email me if there is anything we can do to help.

SV Carolena (your Pearson 303 neighbor on C Dock)

Last edited by SVCarolena; 05-31-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2011

Thanks all for your replies, I had the same thought re hiring a captain; if he/she can get it to wherever, I'll bring her home when the work is done.

After further inspection today while taping up, the furler should be OK w/ a few parts replaced around the drum, I think, and no need to take the rig down afaik.

The adjustor & I traded phone calls tonight & I plan to ask them to help w/ recommending repair facils. & a captain, if needed (if the Capt. I know isn't able to do it).

Nathan, thanks... I PM'd you & appreciate the thoughts & support.

Jon

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 05-31-2011 at 07:19 PM.