Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-01-2011
CALIX's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
CALIX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CALIX
Nope, no change to the north channel at Kent Narrows still as of 7/30. I've been through on my 21' Zodiac at night at low tide and gone back and forth to see just how bad it really is and I can tell you that there's about 4' on the red marker side. While this might be fine for smaller power boats, it's absolutely unacceptable otherwise. I am probably going to take the plunge and move over to the western shore.

I keep hearing about the markers being moved as well, etc., but I am not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 08-01-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 863
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIX View Post
Nope, no change to the north channel at Kent Narrows still as of 7/30. I've been through on my 21' Zodiac at night at low tide and gone back and forth to see just how bad it really is and I can tell you that there's about 4' on the red marker side. While this might be fine for smaller power boats, it's absolutely unacceptable otherwise. I am probably going to take the plunge and move over to the western shore.

I keep hearing about the markers being moved as well, etc., but I am not holding my breath.
Thanks Calax for the update. Anyway to sound the outside the green side of the channelat various time of the tidal change? I remember several years there where temp. green markers placed before they dredged. Also Joe Palmeranz, general manager of Piney Narrows, is also a good source for local knowledge as he usually posts temp(unofficial charts) of the affected area at the marina.

Thanks again,

Clay
s/v 'Tango
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River,Md.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 01-30-2012
CALIX's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
CALIX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CALIX
Good news on the Kent Narrows shoaling problem! While a new marker setup was finally installed in August or so, I was recently copied on a letter from the Corps regarding the preparation of an environmental document for a project that will dredge the north channel. This maintenance dredging is to remove materials to a depth of 7' MLLW plus one or two feet of allowable overdepth. The material will be placed behind "pre-constructed" breakwaters to create tidal wetlands on the spit of land to the west of the channel - it's part of the Ferry Point Habitat Restoration Project designed by local sponsors of which Queen Anne's County Parks/DPW is the lead. No dates in the letter, but it's good news and progress.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 01-30-2012
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,966
Thanks: 29
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Good to hear.

We transited a few times in the fall on our way to and from the Wye River and bumped a few times in the middle of the channel on the North side.

dave
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 02-01-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 863
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIX View Post
Good news on the Kent Narrows shoaling problem! While a new marker setup was finally installed in August or so, I was recently copied on a letter from the Corps regarding the preparation of an environmental document for a project that will dredge the north channel. This maintenance dredging is to remove materials to a depth of 7' MLLW plus one or two feet of allowable overdepth. The material will be placed behind "pre-constructed" breakwaters to create tidal wetlands on the spit of land to the west of the channel - it's part of the Ferry Point Habitat Restoration Project designed by local sponsors of which Queen Anne's County Parks/DPW is the lead. No dates in the letter, but it's good news and progress.
I believe a few of the area businesses in particular Piney Narrows Marina led by Joe Palmerantz(sp?) may be leading the charge with this..as he is a good source as to the current conditions in the Narrows.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 02-05-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 863
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
I believe a few of the area businesses in particular Piney Narrows Marina led by Joe Palmerantz(sp?) may be leading the charge with this..as he is a good source as to the current conditions in the Narrows.
For review...

http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Naviga...ices/12-01.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 02-05-2012
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Thanks: 57
Thanked 134 Times in 124 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting that aa.

If I remember correctly, they dredged the channel a few years ago. Probably, the topography and current will make this a periodic necessity.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 02-05-2012
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Not probably - definitely. Unfortunately resource don't keep up with the impact of regular current flow and storm damage.
chef2sail likes this.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 05-13-2012
Chesapeake Sailor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Harvey Gem is on a distinguished road
Re: Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling

Are there any reports on conditions at Knapps and Kent Narrows this spring?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 05-30-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 863
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gem View Post
Are there any reports on conditions at Knapps and Kent Narrows this spring?
From 'Local Notices to Mariners' - District 5 - May 22/12

MD – CHESAPEAKE BAY – CHESTER RIVER – KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTHERN APPROACH – SHOALING

Shoaling to a depth of less than 5.0 ft MLW has been reported in the center of the channel in the vicinity of Kent Island Narrows Northern
Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417). Chart: 12272.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knapps Narrows depth? Snipp Chesapeake Bay 23 3 Days Ago 02:42 PM
Kent Narrows Shoaling lancelot9898 Chesapeake Bay 9 04-11-2011 08:03 AM
Knapps Narrows - bridge wavedancer38 Chesapeake Bay 1 06-27-2010 11:32 AM
Knapps Narrows .... how much 'new' shoaling? RichH Chesapeake Bay 17 07-16-2007 10:12 AM
Kent Narrows, chesapeake Bay capnjim02 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 6 07-06-2007 10:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.