SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/75063-knapps-kent-narrows-shoaling.html)

aa3jy 06-06-2011 08:19 AM

Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling

Here is our report as we transited both Narrows on Saturday 6/4/11. First our boat draft is spec'd. at 4'10'' but in reality it's around 5' 3" +/- with full fuel and water and all the wife's 'stuff'... We approached Knapps Narrows from the Choptank side-no issues. On the west side..that's a different story..we hit bottom just short of the first red day mark.. Shoaling defiantly was filling in from our starboard side where our chart plotter said we where in the channel. There is a 6mph float to our port side so we moved closer to that and found deeper water. The channel between the (2) red day marks and the last green day mark is not very wide and shoaling was encroaching from our starboard side.

We knew we where back in the land of power boats as we approached Eastern Bay where the ratio of power to sail is much greater than what we experienced during our year and half on the Choptank..I guess we kinda got spoiled... On the south side of Kent Narrows-no issues. On the North side..again a different matter..stay to starboard as there is definitely shoaling, encroaching from our port side, beginning just before day mark 4 and the last day marks. My recommendation is to transit both Kent and Knapps Narrows at a rising tide as close as possible to high tide..gather as much local knowledge and go slow while transiting. I was very surprised that there where no USCG 'Local Notices to Mariners' had been issued nor any temp bouage had been placed..I guess the area businesses are happy with the situation at hand..

CALIX 06-06-2011 11:20 AM

I have a 5'7" draft and have the same the issues with the north Kent Narrows channel. I went out the north at high tide on 6/1 and stayed on the edge of the channel to the far right, on the line with the green markers. I had 8'0" at the #3 marker, I mean really, right next to it and then the depth went to 7'0"
at the mid point between #1 and #3. So the message is stay on the green side of the channel - a big problem for those headed into the Narrows from the north on a busy Red Eyes day.

I did see a sailboat aground in the middle of the channel the previous day as the tide was going out. A sport fish was attempting to help and I assume was finally successful. It's going to be a long summer with sailboats getting stuck in the channel and causing a navigation hazard. Not to mention a serious bummer for easy recreating.

The south channel I can't say is significantly better, but yet no one has reported bumping along. I came in about an hour before high tide on 6/30 and had 6'6" or so. It's just in the one spot where the chart indicates it will be.

aa3jy 06-07-2011 11:54 AM

Finally noted in 1st week of June's 'Notices to Mariners'

MD – UPPER CHESAPEAKE BAY – KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH – AIDS TO NAVIGATION CHANGE

Due to shoaling the following changes will take place in kent Island Narrows on or about 30 June, 2011:

A. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417) will be established in approximate position 38-59-02.021N, 076-14-35.164W,
FL G 4s.
B. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 3 (LLNR 26420) will be changed to Light 4, Fl R 4s.
C. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 4 (LLNR 26425) will be changed to Warning Daybeacon A worded “DANGER SHOAL”.
Chart : 12272

CALIX 06-16-2011 09:35 AM

Thank you for the follow up post with the information. Would you be able to supply a link?

Cheers.:)

arf145 06-16-2011 11:40 AM

I came through Knapps Narrows successfully twice over the weekend, both times at about mid-tide I think. Our boat also draws 4'10", but a realistic 5' or 5'1". Last year we grounded on the west side coming out, so I hug that red marker and go real slow. Very little room to the north.

I'd like to see some more small can markers on both sides, east and west, to make the channel more obvious.

aa3jy 06-16-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALIX (Post 741033)
Thank you for the follow up post with the information. Would you be able to supply a link?

Cheers.:)

Every morning around 7am USCG Sector Baltimore announces 'Notices to Mariners' on marine channel 22 of the affected area..

Here's the link

Local Notice to Mariners

aa3jy 06-16-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arf145 (Post 741080)
I came through Knapps Narrows successfully twice over the weekend, both times at about mid-tide I think. Our boat also draws 4'10", but a realistic 5' or 5'1". Last year we grounded on the west side coming out, so I hug that red marker and go real slow. Very little room to the north.

I'd like to see some more small can markers on both sides, east and west, to make the channel more obvious.

Last fall there where some temp. buoys but where not there a couple weeks ago when we went thru.

aa3jy 07-05-2011 12:04 PM

Knapps Narrows-East Channel

Reported in the 1st week of July's USCG 'Local Notices...

MD – CHESAPEAKE BAY – CHOPTANK RIVER AND HERRING BAY – KNAPPS NARROWS EAST CHANNEL – SHOALING

Shoaling to a depth of 5.0 feet MLW has been reported extending channelward of Knapps Narrows East Channel Light 6 (LLNR 25950). Chart:

Personally I found it more challenging in the west channel

lancelot9898 07-28-2011 03:44 PM

Marker Changes on Kent narrows

I was out the north channel of Kent Island Narrows 2 days ago and there was no change to the markers. Plus the weekly newspaper issued yesterday had an article about how the markers were changed a few weeks back. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa3jy (Post 738124)
Finally noted in 1st week of June's 'Notices to Mariners'

MD – UPPER CHESAPEAKE BAY – KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH – AIDS TO NAVIGATION CHANGE

Due to shoaling the following changes will take place in kent Island Narrows on or about 30 June, 2011:

A. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417) will be established in approximate position 38-59-02.021N, 076-14-35.164W,
FL G 4s.
B. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 3 (LLNR 26420) will be changed to Light 4, Fl R 4s.
C. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 4 (LLNR 26425) will be changed to Warning Daybeacon A worded “DANGER SHOAL”.
Chart : 12272

aa3jy 07-29-2011 07:28 AM

Dee-

Can't answer that..but suppose to have a "Shoal Warning" posted. Keep us updated.

Tnx

Clay
s/v 'Tango'

p.s. so far the engine is work'n great!