Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Restricted Area "C" Off Chesapeake Beach

The Navy marks off a huge area between Chesapeake Beach to the west and Tilghman Island to the east as restricted from 1 to 5pm M-F. The "C" part allows commercial thru traffic. Do you all know, is that strictly "commercial" traffic, or can pleasure craft traverse that zone too?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
The Navy marks off a huge area between Chesapeake Beach to the west and Tilghman Island to the east as restricted from 1 to 5pm M-F. The "C" part allows commercial thru traffic. Do you all know, is that strictly "commercial" traffic, or can pleasure craft traverse that zone too?
As one that is used to aviation regulations, there sure seems to be a big difference in an aviation restricted area vs. a maritime one. If I were to fly into the restricted areas OVER the Chesapeake, I'd be in trouble in a skinny minute, yet I've been on a sailboat in Area C, Area B and dang close to if not in Area A as crew doing Down the Bay race and in areas B and C on my boat at other times.

Despite the marking on the chart and regs in the coast pilot it seems to me that pleasure craft can and do sail through that area all the time with no consequences. Really, I can't imagine in the day and age of environmental impact analysis' for any and every activity, that we'll be seeing naval gunnery firing 3/4 of the way across the Chesapeake anytime soon however, I also doubt the Navy will soon give up its right to do just that if they ever wanted to.
Old 06-15-2011

jaalex is on a distinguished road
When I brought my boat from Baltmore to Deltaville I gave it a wide birth. But there were a lot of recreational boats in that area and no one seemed to object. Would have saved me some time if I had cut through it.

Jason
Old 06-16-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping to hear from others on their treatment of this area. It certainly is in the way if you sail out of Deale/Herring Bay.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-21-2011

bobmorning is on a distinguished road
Restricted area C

I too sail out of Deale and as a formal pilot know that charted restricted and prohibited areas are the quickest way to meet your Secret Service and/or FAA enforcement "friends".

I have given it wide berth also, but also see tons of pleasure craft plowing through it regularly at all hours and days.

So what is the deal with this area?

Bob
Old 06-21-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I've sailed through area B and/or C about 8 times, two times at night, on our summer trips down the bay.

Never had any concerns or issues, kept the VHF on just in case. My guess would be its enforced mush like the restrictions near Poole's Island, only when needed.
Old 06-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Never had any concerns or issues, kept the VHF on just in case. My guess would be its enforced mush like the restrictions near Poole's Island, only when needed.
That's certainly my understanding. I vaguely recall it being enforced once while I was out many years ago and there were picket boats and VHF announcements.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

OK, it sounds like I don't need to sweat this as much as I was--but do need to be aware.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 06-27-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
If the areas become active they will be posted in the Notice to Mariners and announcements will be made on the VHF. Give the one prohibited area off Tangier plenty of space, old target, pilings and debris can be hiding just below the surface.