Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Proposed no-anchoring zone in Back Creek, Annapolis

I'm not sure how this topic (previously here http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...is-zoning.html ) ended up in off-topic. I wrote the admin but never heard back.

The Capital published an article on the subject here Back Creek could get anchoring restriction • Community - Annapolis (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital) .

Note there will be a hearing before the Board of Port Wardens on June 28 at City Hall.

I have reached out to Boat/US Government Affairs. If anyone else would do the same it might increase their level of interest.

The problem is not endemic on Chesapeake Bay as it is in Florida. This is our chance to nip it in the bud.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011

peterconway is on a distinguished road
i had a fellow sailor tell me that a recent court ruling in fla has said local governments have no jurisdiction to set limits on state waters and that this should clear up some of the mess. i havent found anything online about this. Does anyone know if this is true?????
Can you give a source?
Old 06-14-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Hi Peter - There is a state law in FL that limits what a local jurisdiction in FL can restrict. At the same time it established a pilot program to install moorings in a number (five?) of jurisdictions; moorings effectively displace anchoring space. Search SailNet and Google for lots of information on the subject with regard to Florida.

FL law of course doesn't apply per se in Maryland.

As I understand the law in Maryland and in the City of Annapolis the Board of Port Wardens has the authority on the part of the City of Annapolis to define a no-anchoring zone. Apparently the USCG Legal Affairs folks have deferred in writing to Annapolis on the subject.

I live here and have been inconvenienced by boats anchoring off my fairway. I continue to believe that no-anchoring zone designation is not the right answer to the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2011

peterconway is on a distinguished road
by fairway are you talking about a golf fairway?
Old 06-15-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterconway View Post
by fairway are you talking about a golf fairway?
A fairway is the stretch of water between parallel docks with slips, the latter either parallel or perpendicular to the docks.

Old 06-16-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I've got a previous committment in Philly June 28, ugh, anyone know if written comments can be submitted?

A couple of the comments in the original article got to me and inspired this: Clarification: I’m “Houseless,” not Homeless | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-16-2011

I've got a previous committment in Philly June 28, ugh, anyone know if written comments can be submitted?

A couple of the comments in the original article got to me and inspired this: Clarification: I’m “Houseless,” not Homeless | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 06-16-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Interesting.."No anchoring within 75 feet of this Sign"..wouldn't that put you into the slips on the other side in some sections of Back Creek? I know this would make a hot potato suggestion..but how about cutting back on those slips encroaching further into navigable waters
Old 06-16-2011
Mermaid Hunter

We've got room for many many dozens of boats withing the 75 foot stand-off.

Old 06-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Interesting.."No anchoring within 75 feet of this Sign"..wouldn't that put you into the slips on the other side in some sections of Back Creek?
Yes, the harbormaster pointed out that this regulation effectively makes some stretches "no anchoring zones" unless the anchored boats put out both bow and stern anchors to align themselves down the middle of the creek. (For the record, this particular sign is at a wide spot near a haulout slip. To my knowledge, there are no such warning signs by the slips proposed for the no-anchoring zone. I'd certainly like to see signage as a first attempt, and a ban as a last resort!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
I know this would make a hot potato suggestion..but how about cutting back on those slips encroaching further into navigable waters
Legally, I believe the slips are only allowed to encroach 1/4 of the way into the creek. From each side, leaving minimum 1/2 the original width.

and
! And a new project: