Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SVAuspicious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Chefs Go For a Sail

Well today I had the pleasure of having T37chef on Haleakula for a day of sailing on the dangerous ( according to Travelingeasy) Patapsco River.

2 Chefs together and hardly any food conversation. HMMM imagine that. We talked about our Sailnet friends and everything else though????

It was interesting to see how he set up my boat and his techniques as you can always learn from others. Since we sail a lot and have a friendly competition from time to time sailing with each other on our two boats it was also to learn each others tricks.

The wind was 7-11 knots all day and it was really a perfect day for tacking up and down the river just shooting the sh..t. The more tacks we took...the more we got used to each other and him my boat...so by the end our changing course was worthy of Americas Cup footage (not). It was a great day to go sailing as the breeze and water were near perfect for a leisurely and quick sail.

I am glad our wives get along so well as we have a good friendship developing between opur families ( Donna especially loves his two girls) and the time we got to spend together today...just two guys sailing was fun.

Thanks for comming T37chef

BTW...he is a good sailor too so listen to him when he comments on things here,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Sounds more fun than what I was doing yesterday - changing fuel filters.
Old 06-19-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
and he is thanking me? lol Thank you Dave! My first sail since last Novemeber...it felt great to feel a boat move under my feet again. That C&C 35 turns on a dime, the shinny new mainsail was a beautiful thing, even if it was a PITA to flake , the conversation was fun, and I learned many new things.

And who knew Dave was such a wild man in his "earlier" days Jumping out of planes, two transatlantic crossings, and Trumps PC.

Days like yesterday remind me what I think is one of the best parts about SailNet (and other forums for that matter). The opportunity to meet people with similar interest, learn from them, and develop new friendships. Dave is such and interesting and generous person! A great sail on a great boat.

For those that don't know, Windgeist, our beloved T37 is still on the hard this year after being pulled last Fall. The plan was to pull the engine for a mini overhaul and drop the rudder for some repair over the winter and go back in this Spring.

In December, we found out my wifes job was going to require a lot of traveling, up to six months a year. Needless to say, with two young children were we not thrilled, it was time to explore some new job opportunities = takes time. With that, we also thought it could be a good time to sell the house and move closer to my work. (I've been commuting 80 miles a day for 8 years now, it gets old sometimes.)

Then this Spring our finished basement decided it was going to start leaking. That required digging up the floor, tearing down walls, and a lot of $$$ that was to be spent on more fun things like the boat (BTW, don't use Mid Atlantic Waterproofing).

Sooo...I have done nothing to the engine, rudder, or the boat At this point I am not sure we'll be in the water next year, but I am hopeful. On the other hand, we've been enjoying the new renovations to the house, I have been biking a lot more, and visiting family and freinds that we have a tendency to neglect during the sailing season. Heck, Ive even been watching some baseball and plan to get the family to see an O's game this summer.

Thanks again Dave (and Donna) for a day of fun on the water, and a wonderful motivator to start getting my boat projects completed

Prost!

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Great story Chefs. It just can't beat the face to face interaction. You set a good example to us to follow.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-19-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
2 Chefs together and hardly any food conversation. HMMM imagine that. We talked about our Sailnet friends and everything else though????
No food conversation? WHAT IS LIFE WITHOUT FOOD? *grin* Long weekend sailing this weekend (one more day!) and we talked about food a LOT. *grin*
T37Chef and brokesailor like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-29-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Chefs Go For a Sail

Dave,

I was just thinking about the last time I went for a sail and found this thread! Wow, I cant believe I never made it out on a boat last season, except for some dingy sailing on Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland.

That was a great day on your boat, thanks again for sharing Hopefully next time I will be sailing it will be on our re-powered Tartan

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 12-29-2012

I tried to get you out a number of times, but alas our schedules never connected. It was a fun day togeter. Lots of questions. Was good for me to see how someone else sailed and set up their boat. I was never more relaxed when having someone else athe helm or on board. Nice to have someone who knows what their doing. I think it was good for you to feel and see a different boats characteristics. Donna and I are glad we will be getting back one of our closest sailing friends.

Cant wait to KYA again...

Happy New Year to You and the family.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Excellent to hear you were out having fun!

Regards,
Brad
Old 12-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, yeah - so what did you guys eat?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-29-2012

I dont think we ever stop talking long enough to eat....go figure.

Its funny when Chef and I raft together with our wives and his kids, we dont try and impress each other ( we collegues that way although T37chef is still an active chef and is a better cook) Both of us like just good old fashioned fresh ingredients cooked well. His girls like shrimp though and are some of the nicest kids around.

We really missed them this year with his boat up for repairs.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-