Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Need input for more Challenge route & Destination

I have the time-share 37' with 5 ft draft this Sunday to Tuesday. I am thinking another endurance run (non-stop) or a technical difficult approach run to test my own limits.

I will turn off my chart plotter and use only the MapTech charts, will do manual steer without autopilot except when I tack. Unfortunately, the forecast calls for light wind 5 to 10 kn, so I may motor a lot to keep me on schedule.

I am looking for suggestion where to go. As now I plan to sail to Norfolk from Annapolis and back. Technically non challenging, but is a good endurance run with some busy barge encounters especially at nite.

Not looking for ways to kill myself or others, but occasional grounding is anticipated and as an acceptable risk.

P.S. Most likely I will be single-handed.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Grounding is not a risk,,,,but an inevitability...especially if you exploring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-24-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If you are doing Norfolk and back I have some thoughts.

There is no excuse for running aground on that run unless you cut Tolly Point. *grin* Fish traps are another matter. Daytime you have to keep your eyes peeled. At night the first and sometimes only signal will be all the birds perched on the trap and squawking at you. Hint: stand off Herring Bay - there are two traps there far out.

Unless the wind is on your nose there really isn't much in the way of course changes if you do a good job of navigation. From mid-Bay off Thomas Point I think there are two points of land between you and Little Creek that you have jig around.

At the south end of your trip there is a good anchorage off Cape Charles (see ActiveCaptain) or you can pull into Little Creek. I like Vinings Landing Marina in Little Creek. Tell them I sent you. You won't get a better deal but I'll get a pat on the head next time I am through there. *grin*

On that boat you should be 18 - 26 hours each way depending on wind and motoring.

Get your food ready ahead of time for meals and snacks so you can duck down and stick something on the cooker and pop back up.

Remember the tugs/barges run OUTSIDE the shipping channels most of the time to avoid the really big guys so they can be almost anywhere.

Unless you're more of an ironman than I am you'll spend most of the intermediate day sleeping so going around the corner to Norfolk isn't useful.

Alternatively, consider sailing in light air. See if you can make Cambridge and back sailing and keep the boat moving. You'll get the endurance run you are interested in and learn a lot about what you have to learn. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-24-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
You could go in the other direction, Annapolis to Cape May.

Then you'd have to deal with the the Two Canals or depending on how tall your rig is, a short venture into the ocean.
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Hahaha.... agree.

It is especially in the Bay where mud is much more forgiven.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
You could go in the other direction, Annapolis to Cape May.

Then you'd have to deal with the the Two Canals or depending on how tall your rig is, a short venture into the ocean.
Excellent suggestion. Assuming 5 kn speed and tide and current delay of 8 hours during the round trip voyage, do you think I can make it from Sunday 9 am to Tuesday at 5 pm, only 56 hours boat time?

Sorry I did not have a chance to check the actual mileage, yet

Fine Print:
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If you are doing Norfolk and back I have some thoughts.
Thanks Dave. Agree, Annapolis to Norfolk is just an endurance run for me. I have done this many times with others, it is a bit boring. Running ground is not likely unless I am too tired and need a place to drop anchor for a few hours..

I need to digest you comments thoroughly before I reply. Thanks for taking time to write.

Fine Print:
Old 06-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Excellent suggestion. Assuming 5 kn speed and tide and current delay of 8 hours during the round trip voyage, do you think I can make it from Sunday 9 am to Tuesday at 5 pm, only 56 hours boat time?

Sorry I did not have a chance to check the actual mileage, yet
Well, it wouldn't be my idea of a relaxing weekend. I think it's roughly 110 miles 110/5 = 22 hours + or - But, I haven't plotted it in awhile!
I think it's doable.

The challenge here is the Delaware Bay..it's just a long slog down and up the bay with not too many places to stop. Probably about 10 hours each way.

From Annapolis...I've stopped at the canal house, which I believe is now closed..for a meal and a few hours sleep, and left in the wee hours of the morning..2 am..to catch the current..going down the delaware bay...you'd want to plan your currents here. You could get to the Bohemia River and anchor for a nap..

The Governors cup trip..from Annapolis to St Mary's might be something else to consider...I've done that trip a few times..
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

A 220 nm for round trip will be tight (44 hours), I have only 56 hours boat time.

I will study the tide and current tonight assuming I will leave 9:30 am Sunday morning in Annapolis with a minimal boat speed of 5 nm. I can stay in Delaware City and wait for a proper time to cross.

Do you know what draft is in Cape May Canal? I will not stay in Cape May unless I have adverse current and tide. I am not looking for relaxing cruising this weekend.

All I care about is to gain more sail and motor time experience in tricky situations. I must learn how to take the vessel into any safe harbor with minimal preparation or local knowledge. With a simple chart and common instinct, I must prevail.

I only have a 1.5 to 2.5 years to learn before doing my solo circumnavigate. Getting old sucks. But life will go on with or without me.

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 06-24-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2011

Hey Dawg...that's 12 hours of sleep....what more could you ask for...haha..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.