SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Fireworks in Rock Hall and Herrington Harbor South (HHS) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/75686-fireworks-rock-hall-herrington-harbor-south-hhs.html)

velero 06-27-2011 01:53 PM

Fireworks in Rock Hall and Herrington Harbor South (HHS)

Trying to plan the 4th of July weekend (I know it may be too late) and need to know where do they shoot the fireworks from in Rock Hall and HHS. In RH is probably in the harbor but not sure about HHS. What do you know and think would be the best advantage point to watch the fireworks at these locations??

DRFerron 06-27-2011 03:44 PM

Rock Hall Fireworks

Rock Hall fireworks are set off from the harbor. Boats start anchoring just outside and south of the entrance near GC "1". Last year they started arriving the evening before the fireworks (this year they are on Sunday). Judging by the amount of anchor lights, it was full (it's a smallish area) but even the boats the farthest away would have no problem seeing the display so there really isn't any reason to rush to get there as far as I can tell except to not be stuck out too far into the channel. Our slip is in Gratitude so we usually take chairs over to the jetty and we have no problems seeing from even that far away. Last year my mother never even left the boat.

I felt fortunate for my slip as we watched the boats leaving at the end of the night. There were boats shooting out of the harbor, boats leaving the anchorage and then of course there are the small runabouts with no running lights on at all weaving in and out of the other boats. But that's probably typical of most fireworks events.

I like watching from Rock Hall because I can look up and down the bay and see the fireworks from other towns as well. It's rather nice.

DRFerron 06-27-2011 03:47 PM

Additional Option for Rock Hall

You could also try to find a place to anchor back in Swan Creek, take a dinghy to Haven Harbor marina and use the shuttle to get into town.

sck5 06-27-2011 08:48 PM

my boat is in Haven harbour and we just walked over to the bay with lawn chairs. Its about a 10 minute walk. 15 if you go very slowly. Really great show!

T37SOLARE 06-27-2011 09:18 PM

Herrington South launches the fireworks from the entrance channel jetty, the channel will be closed just before and during the display. The only bad spot is down wind, last year we anchored north of the channel and what little wind there was was from the south so we were under the smoke, not a deal breaker, but it would have been better to have been upwind.

I'll add HHS really puts on one of the best firework shows on the bay.

PalmettoSailor 06-28-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37SOLARE (Post 744741)
Herrington South launches the fireworks from the entrance channel jetty, the channel will be closed just before and during the display. The only bad spot is down wind, last year we anchored north of the channel and what little wind there was was from the south so we were under the smoke, not a deal breaker, but it would have been better to have been upwind.

Yeah, that.

We watched from our slip last year. but plan to go anchor in Herring Bay this year.

Looks like I have a motor boat with a stick for the 4th since the riggers will not be able to diagnose my furler problem this week. Though we've had some good times this year, my "sailing" season is not going so great.

4arch 06-28-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 744870)
Looks like I have a motor boat with a stick for the 4th since the riggers will not be able to diagnose my furler problem this week. Though we've had some good times this year, my "sailing" season is not going so great.

If it's any consolation, it looks like it's shaping up to be another light wind weekend anyway.

That combined with the fact it's supposed to be back up in the mid 90's all weekend is making us rethink going out for anything more than daysailing. A couple weeks ago we were kind of excited about heading for Rock Hall or HHS for the 4th but the forecast just doesn't seem to be cooperating.

WouldaShoulda 06-29-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37SOLARE (Post 744741)

You're lucky not to have had any hot cinders land on you or your sails!!

:hothead