Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Sea Nettles?

Just about every weekend I've been diving on the boat to keep her clean..so far no nettles in the upper reaches of the Bay in particular the Chester River and it's tributaries... So where are those nasty little buggers? How much more time do I have before I have to fore go diving on the boat? Normally around the 4th of July I'll see 'em by then but nothing so far..which I guess is a good thing. By-the-way if you hav'n been swimming/diving the water temps are 80+F
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Panty Hose .... one set worn correctly, one set upside down (a slit cut through the crotch to let your head stick out) will prevent sea nettle stings. You will need an 'equivalent' to cover your head. Sea Nettles somehow dont perceive the need to sting through panty hose like they do when they come in contact with bare human skin ..... fine mesh panty hose, not coarse mesh that is.
;-)
Old 07-10-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Eh, they're here, just haven't gotten quite the right combination of salinity and temp to have reached this far north. NOAA shows where conditions are just right for the little nasties here: Forecasting Sea Nettles - Remote Sensing for Coastal Management - chesapeakebay.noaa.gov

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-10-2011
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
So far no Nettels anywhere around Herring Bay, but I have heard they are a few in the Tread Avon by Oxford. Nasty buggers they are, but I will add the water quality in the Bay has been much better than I've seen in many years.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 07-21-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Happily, they're *still* not here! Article in today's Capital: http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...jellyfish.html

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-21-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
So what's the amount of pain these guys can dish out? Very painful?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 07-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Never been stung myself, but I've heard the expletives loudly emitted from those who have.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-21-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
It all depends on exactly which species of "sea nettles" (and sometimes even what populations within a species) one is talking about. People also vary in their sensitivity to various species. Occasionally, I've experienced some pretty painful stings; something like a small bee sting only LOTS of them. But usually they're more bothersome than actually painful. The real threats are box jellies (i.e., cubomedusea) and Man-o-War jellies/bluebottles (Physalia sp.), both of which are fish-eaters and therefore have vertebrate-specific toxins.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-21-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Panty Hose upside down (a slit cut through the crotch to let your head stick out) will prevent sea nettle stings.
I think I would sooner die. The stings arn't that bad.

Also it is very location dependent; the wnid and tide move them around a lot.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber