SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Navigating Hart-Miller/Pleasure Island Cut (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/76096-navigating-hart-miller-pleasure-island-cut.html)

GeorgeDog 07-11-2011 11:09 AM

Navigating Hart-Miller/Pleasure Island Cut

Has anyone traveled through the Pleasure Island channel since dredging was completed earlier this year? I've seen announcements claiming 8' minimum depth. Any local knowledge would be appreciated.

JULY 2012 UPDATE: I passed through the cut twice this week. The channel is well marked with greater than 7 feet depth along our entire path.

Chris

T37Chef 07-11-2011 12:05 PM

Not this year but have traveled through it several times in past years. Easier than the Kent Narrows channel FWIW.

If I recall, the worst is all the crab pots leading to the channel. The anchorage off H&M is great for swimming (nice hard sandy bottm) but bouncing and loud due to all the PB traffic out of Middle River & Back River

GeorgeDog 07-12-2011 06:45 AM

Thanks, Chef! I may sail to Rocky Point on Friday and that channel would trim miles off the trip. If I go I'll give it a try.

Chris

DRFerron 07-18-2011 01:20 PM

George,

Did you make the trip? If so, how was the depth?

Thanks,

GeorgeDog 07-18-2011 01:39 PM

Unfortunately not, Donna. A late week flurry of work interfered with our plans. I suspect that we will transit it at some point this summer and I'll be sure to post the results on this thread.

On a related topic we have recently transited:
Knapps Narrows
Plenty of water for our 5' draft. The only "thin" area was in the channel about 30' off the Red #4 on the west side. Close but no bumps.

Hemingways
A nice restaurant on the south side of the bay bridge on Kent Island. We headed straight in to the outer channel marker at low tide. We didn't bump but there was <6' in a few places. We took a WAG at the route so there may be a deeper way in. The channel was 6+ into the harbor. Great docks.

And one more:
Tangier Island
Went softly aground coming down the middle of the eastern channel. Barely made it in by hugging the greens. Exiting the island using the western channel provided plenty of water.

DRFerron 07-18-2011 01:46 PM

Thanks, George.

Active Captain reports:

March 2011 - The channel between the Miller's Island Community and Pleasure Island has been dredged to a depth of 8 foot mean lower low water (mllw). Source: MD DNR Press Release - Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Communications Office

But before I try it I'd like to hear from someone who actually made it through as my electronic chart still reports 4.5 feet.

Giantjunk 05-04-2012 02:47 PM

Re: Navigating Hart-Miller/Pleasure Island Cut

Any updates? Has anyone made the trip through the cut since the reported dredging?

Thanks,
Nic

MastUndSchotbruch 06-07-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantjunk (Post 867255)
Any updates? Has anyone made the trip through the cut since the reported dredging?

Thanks,
Nic

BUMP ... would love to know, too!

travlineasy 06-12-2012 05:28 PM

I went through the cut on Friday, plenty deep, never got lower than 8 feet and it seems a bit wider than it was last year.

Gary :cool:

MastUndSchotbruch 06-12-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 883919)
I went through the cut on Friday, plenty deep, never got lower than 8 feet and it seems a bit wider than it was last year.

Gary :cool:

great, tx a lot!