Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011

datswite is on a distinguished road
Kinsale to Annapolis (and back again).

Hey, all! I'm fairly new to sailing; this is my second season. We keep our 27' Hunter at Port Kinsale on the Yeocomico River. I've had a variety of experiences on the water to include some really nasty blows near Smith Point. Terrifying and thrilling at the same time.

We've made several 3-4 day trips around the tidal Potomac to include: Tangier Island, Great Wicomico, Little Wicomico, Breton Bay, Smith Creek, etc. However, we're looking for something more grand.

We have 7 days available beginning August 31st. We hope to sail from our home port to Annapolis and back. I'm looking for some suggestions/advice on the trip. Given favorable conditions, we hope to make it to Solomons on day 1 (34 miles), Rhode River on Day 2 (40 miles), and Spa Creek on Day 3 (12.5 miles). If it goes as planned, we'll have an extra day to make up lost time.

Assuming that the wind cooperates, does this sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
a leisurely romp up the bay for sure...Piece of cake and if the weather blows you are in good places to hang out.

By then I hope the heat/humidity is about gone.

Enjoy and relax, should be a trip to remember
Old 07-25-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Don't expect much wind, do expect to motor allot, Moorings in the middle of Annapolis harbor are nice, (call the harbor master) Bring $ to really enjoy Annapolis, water taxis free (tip well) One of my fav free things to do is sitting on a bench and watch the yachts (the good, bad, ugly, fast,fat and fabulous) come down "ego alley" and do the pirouette! Consider Saint Michael's on the Miles river, a day from from Annapolis (not much cheaper although the anchorage is pretty nice.

terrifying = you didn't reef soon nuff!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2011

Thanks, kd3pc! I'm hoping for a break in the heat by then as well.

I'm a bit concerned about the 40 mile leg - not sure if it's too ambitious. We'd really like to anchor each night as opposed to tying up in a marina. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of anchorages on the western shore of the middle Chesapeake. Heading up the Choptank seems so far out of the way.
Old 07-25-2011

Denise - Thank you for the reply. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of wind as well. We went out last year during the exact same time, and it was wonderful. Of course, Hurricane Earl had just passed by the day before, and we were most likely enjoying his wake.

Our intent is to pass under the bridge on Spa Creek and hit the first mooring field. I had no idea that the water taxis were free. Good to know. How do we call for a taxi? Do they monitor the VHF?
1981 Morgan 382, Hull #257 - Cobb Island, MD
Our Cruising Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Oxford would be a great Eastern Shore destination worth the trip up the Choptank. In addition, you can get to St Michaels easily from Oxford, just follow the ferry Its just about a mile walk if I remember correctly. The maritime museum in SM is very nicely done.

Just a thought...maybe a bit aggressive the first day...

Day 1: Yeocomico River to Oxford
Day 2: Oxford / St. Michaels
Day 3: Oxford to Annapolis
Day 4: Annapolis
Day 5: Annapolis to Rhode
Day 6: Rhode to Solomons
Day 7: Solomons to Yeocomico River

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-25-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2011

The water taxis in Annapolis are not free! If I recall correctly, its anywhere from $2 - $6 per person each way? The water taxis monitor channel 68, water taxi website: http://www.watermarkcruises.com/watertaxi.htm

Most probably use the dingy dock at the end of "Ego Alley". BTW, you didn't mention if you have a dingy?

A mooring will run you about $25.00 for the night, with access to the Harbor Master Bath & Shower facility. Most likely you will want to pick up the first mooring you see, and of its hot I recommend one before the bridge. You would also not have to deal wit the bridge openings (every 1/2 hour btw) The wakes usually settle down at dusk.

FWIW, we did about a 90 mile run a few years ago from St Marys (Horseshoe Bay) to St. Michaels in about 14 hours. We left about 05:30 and dropped the hook around 19:30 averaging about 6.5 knts...which included motoring sailing for a couple of hours in the mid afternoon. But weather was optimal for the most part.

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-25-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
The last time I paid was $30 for a mooring ball at the city harbor. If you intend to use their facility (shower and laundry), get you token ahead of time keep a spare, the office closes early (8 pm). In the weekend, get the mooring ball as soon as possible. They disappear fast. If this is the case, you can drop anchor just outside the mooring field.

I have never got a free water taxi ride. $3 is a norm, but $6 will get you to Back Creek from City harbor. It may be free during the boat show or special event.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-25-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2011

Annapolis Harbormaster Website: Harbormaster's Office

Old 07-25-2011

All good points.

T37Chef - We have a pseudo-dinghy. It's actually an Intex Seahawk II inflatable. It will carry 2 men comfortably - 3 men provided they leave their shame onboard the sailboat. No outboard, only oars. With that said, we don't have shame and can therefore squeeze all 3 guys into it. How far of a paddle is it from the mooring fields to the dinghy docks?

Also, thanks for the Oxford suggestion. I hadn't really considered smelling the roses along the way. I just assumed that we would be hard pressed to make it to Annapolis and back given our time constraints. From the comments listed it appears as though making the round-trip should be easily accomplished.
1981 Morgan 382, Hull #257 - Cobb Island, MD
Our Cruising Blog

Tags
annapolis , bay , chesapeake , potomac

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.