Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wingNwing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Where to drop anchor in the Choptank?

Attached is some info from a chat earlier this afternoon that others might either be interested in, or might contribute to. Thanx to CaptRizzo for capturing this!

epaolino
1:16 PM
Ok you guys on the bay... any recomendations of a place to drop anchor in the choptank? Going there in about two weeks and looking of some nice coves to choose from.
DRFerron
1:25 PM
I'm sure the Bay regulars will have good recs, but do you use Active Captain at all? It's part of my trip planning and I've found the reviews to be spot on.
epaolino
1:26 PM
active capt?
is it online?
DRFerron
1:27 PM
www.activecaptain.com
I submit reviews when we've visited a location and you rack up points and free stuff. Although, I have yet to receive my stuff.
DRFerron
1:30 PM
I usually have my echart, Active Captain, and Google Earth all open while I plan.
epaolino
1:32 PM
That active captn looks good....
trying to plan a week on the bay....
one day anchor next a slip....
with a fall back of all slips if it's stinking hot
DRFerron
1:34 PM
the first time I planned a week trip I forgot about time to actually see anything. If we had followed my original plan, we'd sail to a marina, eat, sleep, wake up and sail to the next.
wingNwing
1:34 PM
There are so darn many gorgeous spots on the Choptank. Check out LaTrappe Creek near Cambridge, my new favorite. Fair Weather Sailors...
DRFerron
1:35 PM
Hi Jaye!
wingNwing
1:35 PM
Hi Donna!
Another great Choptank spot is Plaindealing Creek near Oxford. Make sure to visit Cuts and Case boatyard. We dropped by at lunchtime and got a fantastic tour from the owner!
DRFerron
1:37 PM
e, I think our preferred multi-day trip is two nights at anchor, one in a marina, two nights at anchor, and so on.
After two days the ice, beer and water needs to be replenished.
wingNwing
1:41 PM
@Donna, does that mean if you drink more beer and less water you can stay out 3 nights?
epaolino
1:41 PM
sorry ... off looking at all the great info!
wingNwing
1:42 PM
@e - both the anchorages I mentioned are on the opposite side of the river from the cities; do you have a good dinghy/outboard?
epaolino
1:42 PM
No dink...
wingNwing
1:43 PM
oops. Then I'd plan to anchor in each of those spots overnight, then move to a marina in town the next day to explore. Both towns are walkable and definitely worth your time.
DRFerron
1:44 PM
Thinking about that Jaye. I guess it comes down to ice. We carry a 5-gallon jug of water for drinking and use the water in the boat tanks for everything else. We found that with three people on board, we ran out of the tank water first. Maybe if we drank more beer and washed less dishes?
captainrizzo
1:44 PM
Hello Jaye!
wingNwing
1:45 PM
@Donna, that works too. Use block ice to last and keep things cool, and get a second bag of cube ice for drinks.
epaolino
I find after two hot nights on a the bay a proper shower is on order!
wingNwing
Hi Rizz! Gah, the gang's all here!
captainrizzo
sure is!
just finished with the resevations for our trip
eileen is very excited
DRFerron
I just learned a few months ago why block ice is preferred. It makes a difference. I even brought home one semi-melted block to use again.
wingNwing
1:46 PM
@Donna, yes, we're learning that too here on the hard. @e, maybe a sunshower? By late August I think you'll have milder weather, and maybe even some sailing wind!
captainrizzo
1:46 PM
donna, i start making block ice a week before our trip and it usually lasts 2-3 days...i use the large glad tupperware containers
jaye, you and dan are really welcome to use our house while we are away
wingNwing
1:47 PM
@Rizz, I wanna hear about it when you're at the marina tomorrow.
DRFerron
1:48 PM
Captain rizzo, aren't you within walking distance from your boat?
captainrizzo
i will probably stop by tonight. need to pick up my charts and drop some stuff off so i don't have to do it all on wednesday am.
wingNwing
@e about Cuts & Case - they're a funky old-style boatyard doing classic restorations, a lot more about art than making money.
epaolino
@wnw I'm hoping the string of heat waves will be over and some nice breezes will be available!
captainrizzo
close, easier bike ride
DRFerron
1:49 PM
We're 90 miles away from ours. by the time we get the pre-made ice there it'd be water again.
captainrizzo
one mile by bike, two by car
wingNwing
@Rizz - c'mon by - we're right behind the travelift.
epaolino
@wnw Lookin in their window in oxford ....
captainrizzo
i'll stop by
epaolino
Looks great... intimidated to go inside
love the photo boat in the window
wingNwing
1:52 PM
@e, go in - its a learning experience. BTW, there's a restaurant at a B&B in Oxford that's supposed to be very nice, and they'll pick you up at any of the marinas in a classic British taxi. Very James Bond. I forget the name but I'll look it up.
Guys, we should be doing this conversation as a thread in the Chesapeake subforum - we might get more input, and the info we've put would be available to others later. Anyone know if there's a way to capture this conversation?
Ah, the restaurant that picks you up is Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn.
captainrizzo
1:54 PM
copy/paste!
epaolino
1:54 PM
Sorry wnw.... just coming out with something off the top of my head.
Where I work there is a feature to save your IM automaticly in MS Exchange....
maybe there should be a feature here to auto save the chat to a forum?
@wnw ... Thanks for the great recomendations!
wingNwing
1:57 PM
@e - you're welcome, enjoy!
@Rizz - I tried but couldn't scroll to copy enough. Oh well, their loss!!!
epaolino
1:58 PM
also I figgure to take advantage of the bay guys on the chat today!
wingNwing
1:58 PM
I'm just goofing off, supposed to be sanding. Grrr!
wingNwing
2:00 PM
@Donna, did you say earlier you're going to be in Annapolis? I tried to scroll back to find out when but missed it.
captainrizzo
2:01 PM
i can scroll and copy. do you want me to paste it to word and email it to you?
donna will be here this weekend
wingNwing
2:06 PM
sure - sweet! see you later.
SVAuspicious and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 08-09-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: correct a link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
My head hurts trying to read that
Old 08-08-2011
Rapscallion

epaolino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
My head hurts trying to read that
you should have been there in real time!
Old 08-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Sorry, Shawn - it lost a lot of formatting coming over from Word as CaptRizzo captured it.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-08-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Another great place we truly love off of the Choptank is Dunn Cove off Harris creek behind Tjilghman island. You can even go further up harris Creek to Santo Domingo Creek and anchor. This is the back door way to St Michaels.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-08-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
So many good things on the Choptank...

Got to agree with the suggestions of La Trappe Creek, Dun Cove, Plaindealing Creek, San Domingo Creek, Cutts & Case (who have created a unique way to save old wooden vessels so they stay whole).

You may also find Tripp Creek has a very nice anchorage about a couple of miles up the creek past Oxford (starboard side). There is also Cambridge. You can go into the harbor and tie along the sea wall and I don't think there is a charge. You need some hefty fenders, however.

For those wanting to have ice and water too, I have in past years when I had an "ice box" used to freeze jugs of water...they would serve two uses. They kept the food cold and provided cold water as they melted. Worked for me, for whatever it is worth. The more you make up and pack together, the longer they last.

We will be down in Oxford for some engine maintenance in mid September. Look us up via the radio if you would like to meet up.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina, Chester River, MD
Old 08-08-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
La Trappe creek is an awesome place to anchor. No 7-11's within miles and no facilities but beautiful. We saw a pair of Golden Eagles there.
Tons of great places to anchor out in on the Chessy.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-09-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Wink Where tall sailboats fear to tread water..

..Cabin Creek and Suicide Bridge Restaurant. Don't forget to bring along your Boat Balls!

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
All mentioned so far are great. I would much rather visit St. Michaels via Santa Domingo than the main harbor. We have always had a great meal at Latitude 38 on the south end of Oxford. Another good spot is Hudson Creek on the Little Choptank.