Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Maui and Molikai Helicopter Ride and Sunset

We took a heliccopter ride over Maui and then across the channel to the island of Molikai population 5000. 5000 sfoot sheer drop cliffs with major waterfalls ( ever island has a dry side ( 4 inches per year and a wet one facing the trades 400 inches per year of rain). There is a picture of the huge reef on Molikai which we could see manta rays breedng under the a
water. You can see the ancient fish ponds in the reef they used to pen up the fish they trapped as the first form of aquaculture

Also a rock formation off the island looking like the endangered green turtles we swam with snorkeling (Honu)

Last is a sunset off of boat on Mauai

Mahalo

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-31-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Awesome! Next time take me with you, I can carry your bags. LOL

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-31-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Ahhh! Thanx for this lovely break from our post-Irene chores. (no significant damage here, but still, a fair amount of work putting everything back in place)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-31-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Loved the photos, Dave. Thanks for sharing.
To me, pic. #2 looks like a moose that went flat down in the water...kind of like looking at clouds or ink blotches. Glad you had such a great time.

Leslie
Old 09-01-2011

Molokai

That particular rock formation off of Molokai is supposed to look like their endangered green turtle we have snorkeled with (Hanu)

Jayne glad to hear you and Dan are safe and sound. Living on your boat the way you guys do a storm like Irene takes on added meaning

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-01-2011

Carry my bags

First you plunder by vessel. Now you want to stow away in my bags......hmmmm

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 09-01-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I have no shame I suppose

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-02-2011

Oahu- Pearl Harbor, Banzai Pipeline, and Wiakiki Beach

Yesterday we flew over to Ohau (20 minutes) and took a tour of Pearl Harbor and drove around the island all day. Not my favorite Hawaiian Island, but everyone should go to Pearl harbor if you visit Hawaii at some time.

We toured the grounds, saw the 60 minute I Max presentations and went out to the monument (sunken Arizona Battleship where 1700 were entomed as it sank in less than 15 minutes. It was soleomn to see, You could still smell diesel and burnt metal on the monument which is over the sunked remains which are quite visble in 20 feet of clear water. It was inconcievable to see how 150 ships...8 of them battleships were tied together in one place no bigger than an area of Annapolis Harbor and Back Creek combined. Noaircraft carroers were present. It almost adds to the theory that the Japanese were lured to attack these ships to get America into WWII. No idiot would have put that many flag lined ships together in one place.

The memorial was soloemn as I stated and you could almost feel the histpry of the spot on that fatefull day Dec 7, 1941. There were 4 veterns of the attack present recounting personal stories of that day.

The Battleship Missouri where Japan surrendered was nearby also. Can hurl a boxcar sized projectile 20 miles over the horizon.

We watched for 1 hour as the carrier Ronald reagan docked from a 6 month sea duty to the China Sea

After that we toured the island. Ate fresh garlic shrip on the NOrth Shore, visited Sunset beach and the Banzai Pipeline which only had a surf break of 2 ft...quiet. We then rode around the idsland and the surf break was 10 ft on Wakkiki, A Hawaiian version of South Beach.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 09-02-2011

Kaui, Napali Coast, saiuling on a 65 foot Catamaran

Today was a snorkel expedition to the North shore of Kauai called the Napili Coast region with 12 miles of 3500ft towering cliffs which drop right to the ocean. Movies such as Plant of the Apes, 7 Days and 7 nights etc were also filmed here. Only accesable by boat and the remmains of many ancient Hawaiian villages and petrogliffs remain .

Boat built by Southern Cross boatyards was amazing with downwind sails of 13 knots ( they play it safe for the tourists. Snorkeling was average...better on Maui, but we got quite a show by the leaping (20 corkscrewing Hawaiian spinner dolfins)

Tomorrow is our last full day and night on Kauai and we have a sunset dinner cruise on the same sailing catamaran planned to the same area. The water here is so nice.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 09-03-2011

Goodbye to Kauai

Today was our last day on Kauai. We just hung out and went on a dinner/ sunset cruise on a 65 ft catamaran in the trade winds off the Napali coast. Awesome way to end a vacation. Tomorrow it is a few last T shirts and gifts then on the plane at 8 PM to LA arriving 6AM to Chicago 12 noon to BWI: 4 PM

Sorry to have bother any who didnt want to with our pitcures and escapades ( except the two scoundrels who plundered my boat whi;le away:laugh er

See you home HON

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-