Hurricane Irene - Chesapeake - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 08-25-2011
AEOLUS II

Currently tracking more West than yesterday...

That's not a good break!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 08-25-2011 Thread Starter
s/v Tiger Lily

That's what I'm seeing too ... more west.

So, I'm on an oversized mooring ball (350 lbs well-set mushroom). I think, no matter what I'm staying in the water. I'm stripping down everything I can headsail, main, bimini, etc. I'm adding a swivel to double up my pennant. I'm really worried about a smaller sailboat that's in our cove ... that always seems to drag around. I'm hoping that guy hauls.

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
post #13 of 43 Old 08-25-2011

zoomable storm surge map,
Hurricane IRENE Storm Surge Probabilities

natl. hurricane ctr.
National Hurricane Center
post #14 of 43 Old 08-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
We about wrapped up the prep party on my dock a few minutes ago when the rain started. Everybody took jibs down. Most took mains down as well. I rain my forward halyards to the masthead with a messenger line -- Both main halyards are spaced down the boom.

We doubled up dock lines on boats that are staying. Some are hauling. I'm the only one crazy enough to go anchor out. I'll head up a creek Friday night or Saturday morning.

Just have to get the grill off the rail, empty the bed of my truck, and finish some odds and ends at Janet's house.
Good luck Dave. Pass it on to the others at WG. As I recall most people on Back Creek do not do much to prep for storms.

It looks like I picked a good year to move inland.
post #15 of 43 Old 08-25-2011

Even with the westward trend NOAA is showing like a 5% chance of storm surge over 4 feet (10-20% chance over 2 feet) and 50% chance of 40 knot winds at mid bay.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #16 of 43 Old 08-25-2011

And 80% of the boaters in most marinas won't even visit the boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
We about wrapped up the prep party on my dock a few minutes ago when the rain started. Everybody took jibs down. Most took mains down as well. I rain my forward halyards to the masthead with a messenger line -- Both main halyards are spaced down the boom.

We doubled up dock lines on boats that are staying. Some are hauling. I'm the only one crazy enough to go anchor out. I'll head up a creek Friday night or Saturday morning.

Just have to get the grill off the rail, empty the bed of my truck, and finish some odds and ends at Janet's house.

... nor have they in a month.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 43 Old 08-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

We miss you Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I think, no matter what I'm staying in the water.
Pretty much. At this point if you don't have a reservation to haul it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Even with the westward trend NOAA is showing like a 5% chance of storm surge over 4 feet (10-20% chance over 2 feet) and 50% chance of 40 knot winds at mid bay.
I'll put money on more surge than that. The cold front that rolled through this morning pushed us up 2 ft already.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-25-2011
Unpaid Intern

For what it's worth, we're hauling tomorrow. Even though our slip is in a creek that is somewhat protected (not a hurricane hole though), it's also on the small side. It's fine most of the time, but if we stay in the slip for a storm like this, I don't know that we have the room necessary to avoid banging around. Not to mention that I'm unsure about how well my boat neighbors will prep.

I realize that hauling is no guarantee, but it's the best thing we can do. I hope it ends up being overkill, but I've learned that when in doubt, play it safe.

I know others who have a very large slip with lots of room. If we had one, we'd probably stay in.

Either way, we'll be removing all the sails and canvas, and we'll tie everything down.
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #19 of 43 Old 08-25-2011
Marty

Dave, Wondering why you did the following:
I ran my forward halyards to the masthead with a messenger line -- Both main halyards are spaced down the boom.

Is that just because of chafing? We have a aluminum toe rail around the boat that we typically tie our halyards to...

Marty
post #20 of 43 Old 08-25-2011

For now, I'm planning to pull my sails tomorrow and add lines. I'll probably turn the boat around and face it NW. Right now it's faced SE. I don't plan to haul as my options are limited - either Lewisetta Marina which is exposed to NE, E, SE (and only 1' above high water) or to Port Kinsale which is higher but exposed too. We're really far up Lodge Creek off the Yeocomico River and protected. As with josrulz, we're in a smallish slip so I may spend Saturday night onboard.

Sabre 38 "Victoria"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.