Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Hurricane Irene - Chesapeake

What are your thoughts/predictions about what we'll see from Irene in the Chesapeake? What are you doing to prepare?

Hurricane Tracker - weather.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011

ctj1950 is on a distinguished road
Friday I'm going to remove my dodger,Bimini and genoa. Stow my anchor below deck. Tie down stack packs. Double up dock lines, add a second spring line. My auto bilge pump failed last week, wouldn't stop running. So I be installing a new one.
Old 08-24-2011

ctj1950 is on a distinguished road
Fox 5 News said it would be passing 75 mile off the coast of Ocean City. Channel 4 said it was tracking closer to us than before? But would be weaker.
Old 08-25-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Good advice from a previous thread.

Hurricane Preparation
SVAuspicious likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-25-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I had my boat hauled out yesterday. Going down to the boat today to batten down the hatches.
Old 08-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The most important factor is surge.

In the mid to upper Bay, the wind dirrection will determine whether the water stacks up.

Windfinder - Wind & weather forecast Herring Bay

With the current track, the wind will be out of the north and east and the surge should be limitied to a few feet. With Isabel, which tracked much further inland, the wind was out of the south and the surge was ~8 feet, depending on the location.

I would be concerned if my marina is exposed to the north, since the waves will be unusually large, but in general we should get off lightly. It should be no more severe than a strong winter storm. Because the trees are in leaf, there may be more breakage.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-25-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
In the mid to upper Bay, the wind dirrection will determine whether the water stacks up.

Windfinder - Wind & weather forecast Herring Bay

With the current track, the wind will be out of the north and east and the surge should be limitied to a few feet. With Isabel, which tracked much further inland, the wind was out of the south and the surge was ~8 feet, depending on the location.

I would be concerned if my marina is exposed to the north, since the waves will be unusually large, but in general we should get off lightly. It should be no more severe than a strong winter storm. Because the trees are in leaf, there may be more breakage.
This is my first storm since moving to Herrington Harbor South so I'm not real sure what to expect. The marina is in a small (man made?) bowl with the entrance aligned north-northeast, so it looks like with winds from the north and east as forecast that water could pile up.

I'm towards the back of the marina, so any wave action that makes it into the marina should be pretty well broken up by the time it gets to me and if Irene gets the memo and stays 75-80 miles offshore of Norfolk the wind shouldn't be any worse than a summer squall line.

I'll take down the canvas for sure but I'm still not sure about taking down the jib or just wrapping it with the spin/spare halyards and leaving it in place.

I do a port side tie up then use the starboard fore and aft cleats just to hold the boat off the finger. I plan to add another set of springs to starboard and deploy all my fenders and fender boards as well. My major concern is with adjusting lines for the surge. I'm thinking I'll stay on the boat Saturday as long as its safe and adjust the lines as best I can before leaving then hope for the best.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-25-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Effects should be somewhat greater than Ernesto but not as great as Isabel.

Depending on the breaks!!
Old 08-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
When I said "stack the water up" I was reffering to storm surge

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
This is my first storm since moving to Herrington Harbor South so I'm not real sure what to expect. The marina is in a small (man made?) bowl with the entrance aligned north-northeast, so it looks like with winds from the north and east as forecast that water could pile up.
Sustained wind from the south--what Isabell brought--blew up the Bay for many hours and caused the water to "stack up." The tides were ~ 6-8 feet above normal in some areas. In marinas, this unusualy high water has 2 effects: boats must be tied just so in order to move without hitting anything or trying to pull the pilings up, and the high tide allows waves to go over the break waters. HHN got absolutly mangled during Isabell because the tide was high and the waves came in from the east. Then they got a new stone breakwater.

The other thing that happens is that once a few boats and docks come loose, they start banging into things.

Wouldashoulda summarized it nicely. I'm going to slack my stern lines a bit, wrap the spin halyard around the genoa, and call it good.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
We about wrapped up the prep party on my dock a few minutes ago when the rain started. Everybody took jibs down. Most took mains down as well. I rain my forward halyards to the masthead with a messenger line -- Both main halyards are spaced down the boom.

We doubled up dock lines on boats that are staying. Some are hauling. I'm the only one crazy enough to go anchor out. I'll head up a creek Friday night or Saturday morning.

Just have to get the grill off the rail, empty the bed of my truck, and finish some odds and ends at Janet's house.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.