Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Hurricane - stay onboard?

Hi,
Wondering if it might be a good idea to stay on the boat during Irene so that we can adjust lines if need be. Or is that a bad idea? Is it best to just adjust lines as best you think they need to be and go home to ride it out there?

We would obviously take all precautions if we had to go on deck in the storm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I'm in Baltimore too and expecting to stay aboard as we did for Isabel; however, the choice is dependant upon the track and the position of the boat. We're at a position in the Anchorage Marina with a maximum of a mile fetch to the south. I'll feel pretty good about the propects if Irene remains to the east. This should present winds from the east and backing to the southwest. Our choice will be to remove our sails and other windage tomorrow. As our boat is our only home and we've stayed aboard for several previous hurricanes, we feel pretty good about our location and expect to persevere. As we are on a floating dock we will have less adjustment to be made. If your location is on a fixed dock, more attention may be necessary; however, if Irene stays east we shouldn't have the water rise like Isabel. Bottom line...there will be risk. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 08-25-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
At a dock? Cat 3 or above I think it is a bad idea. I guess it depends on your acceptable level of risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Captain, Just curious... How much float do you have...before you're over the top of the pole?
Old 08-25-2011

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
We have about 6 feet off the pier and the pier is about 4 feet off the water. My biggest concern is not due to wind but due to storm surge and having the lines get too tight.

Any ideas how to accomplish this without being on the boat?

Also some people are removing their sails, do you find this absolutely necessary?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
At a dock? Cat 3 or above I think it is a bad idea. I guess it depends on your acceptable level of risk.
"at a dock" is too little information to make any such judgement. Fetch, surrounding elevation, expected wind direction, form of dock, height and security of pilings, size of slip, windage aboard and the potential for surge are all important factors. It is not responsible to use one factor such as "at a dock" to evaluate risk. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Tempest likes this.
Old 08-25-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Currently, we're in a slip 50x18; our boat is 33x11, so we have lots of room. Pilings are about 12" diameter x 8 feet tall, and about 3 years old ... so we're feeling pretty confident staying. But not sure we'd stay in a less-substantial dock, or a bigger predicted storm.

Like Capt Force, this boat is our only home and this (sadly) is our 3rd hurricane aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-25-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
Hi,
We have about 6 feet off the pier and the pier is about 4 feet off the water. My biggest concern is not due to wind but due to storm surge and having the lines get too tight.

Also some people are removing their sails, do you find this absolutely necessary?

Thanks
If I understand you correctly, you are at a "fixed" dock. If so, I'm not aware of any tricks to manage that..without being there to adjust your lines and fenders as you ride it up.
Old 08-25-2011

Quote:
..............Also some people are removing their sails, do you find this absolutely necessary?

Thanks
Certainly not absolutely necessary, but I am accustomed to preparing beyond what might be necessary. I stripped my boat for Hurricane Hugo when in north Florida and watched a leaf fall undisturbed straight to the ground while Hugo was pounding SC. I took precautions to anchor in a protected hole for Hurricanes Charley and Floyd with no actual need in hindsight. We've prepped for three hurricanes that hit and we were favored by our extra work. We might not continue to come out without damage. but we will continue to "over-prepare". As the common phrase is stated, "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." I fully expect to incur storm damage at some time, but we are in our fortieth year of living aboard with no significant damage yet. I'll be working far beyond by neighbors in preparation tomorrow and my greatest concern will be debris breaking free from my neighbors! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-26-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
It's a little late but, assuming your boat survives, next time try TideMinders: freedom from line adjustment during storm surges, tidal changes and high-winds.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."