Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
My first overnight - advice?

This is my 2nd first overnight. The first first was last year but I was home in bed by 12:30 AM so it doesn't count.

I'll be single-handing my Venture 17. I plan to launch from Sandy Point Park Sunday morning (leaving my float plan and boat/vehicle description in the drop-box) I'd like to head south (looks like the current will be in my favor until 1PM) and make my way to the hurricane hole up Harness Creek. OR head around the southern end of Kent Island (suggestions on private spot to anchor?)

I have:

handheld VHF and all required safety equipment
Droid phone with chart and current apps
Fishfinder/GPS/Chart plotter
Enough clothing and bedding to outfit a small army
LED bow light, clamp-on stern/all around light, as of yet no anchor light (which if I'm correct is not required if I'm anchored in a little dead-end hole, right?)

I will be getting:
printed charts for the area (printed off the computer)
small sterno stove for a warm dinner and coffee
food and water
some sort of toilet/bucket

I have a small 12V system - an automotive jumpstarter with a 12V cigarette lighter I use to run the GPS and charge cell phone, etc.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? (other than a good book or two!)

Will it be hard to find a private spot Sunday night?

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
...OR head around the southern end of Kent Island (suggestions on private spot to anchor?)
You have many options with that boat. We anchored in Claiborne Inlet in Tilghman Creek (first cove on the right). Very small, very private. There are a few houses but the one gentleman who came out onto his lawn waved and started strumming his guitar.

Quote:
... as of yet no anchor light (which if I'm correct is not required if I'm anchored in a little dead-end hole, right?)
You need an anchor light.

Quote:
Will it be hard to find a private spot Sunday night?
Probably not.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-05-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Sounds good, enjoy your trip. Tell us about it when you return.

Old 10-06-2011

I can all but drag my boat up on shore! Maybe I'll bring a crab trap and catch my dinner.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 10-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I believe that legally an anchor light is not required if you are in a charted anchorage. There are vastly more places to anchor than there are charted anchorages. In my experience, most use them in charted anchorages anyway. You do want to be seen. In a pinch, you might get away with hoisting a white light up a halyard, but it isn't legal.

You say you have all safety gear, so just confirming that includes a harness and tether, beyond a pfd that you will be comfortable wearing at all times. For single handing, I would consider these mandatory.

Have a great trip, sounds like a fun adventure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-06-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I believe that legally an anchor light is not required if you are in a charted anchorage. There are vastly more places to anchor than there are charted anchorages. In my experience, most use them in charted anchorages anyway. You do want to be seen. In a pinch, you might get away with hoisting a white light up a halyard, but it isn't legal.
Not sure what you mean by "charted anchorage"..if you mean 'Special Anchorage' then the requirement to display an anchor light is not required.. There are only a couple of 'em on the Bay..one being up the Chester River off Rolphs Warf.

Good luck on your over nighter
Old 10-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Not sure what you mean by "charted anchorage"..if you mean 'Special Anchorage' then the requirement to display an anchor light is not required.....
Yes, that's the correct terminology. Fingers type faster than memory processes.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-06-2011
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road
Have fun out there!!

I think this is the perfect weather for an overnight trip. Have fun and don't forget to post a trip report with pics! Are you going to be fishing too or just catching crabs?

Do a search on sailnet and you will find talks about the inland waterway regulations on anchor lights. As long as your not in a channel or navigable area there is no requirement for your boat (17ft). You could always pick up a portable anchor light so you'll sleep better. Well, I would
Old 10-06-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayWindRider View Post
I think this is the perfect weather for an overnight trip. Have fun and don't forget to post a trip report with pics! Are you going to be fishing too or just catching crabs?

Do a search on sailnet and you will find talks about the inland waterway regulations on anchor lights. As long as your not in a channel or navigable area there is no requirement for your boat (17ft). You could always pick up a portable anchor light so you'll sleep better. Well, I would
CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

SUBCHAPTER I: ANCHORAGES

PART 109: GENERAL

109.10 - Special anchorage areas.

An Act of Congress of April 22, 1940, provides for the designation of special anchorage areas wherein vessels not more than sixty-five feet in length, when at anchor, will not be required to carry or exhibit anchorage lights. Such designation is to be made after investigation, by rule, regulation, or order, the procedure for which will be similar to that followed for anchorage grounds under section 7 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of March 4, 1915, as referred to in ? 109.05. The areas so designated should be well removed from the fairways and located where general navigation will not endanger or be endangered by unlighted vessels. The authority to designate special anchorage areas was transferred to and vested in the Secretary of Homeland Security by section 902(j) of the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Act of 2006 (Pub. L. 109-241, 120 Stat 516), and delegated to the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard in Department of Homeland Security Delegation No. 0170.1. The Commandant redelegated the authority to establish anchorage grounds to each Coast Guard District Commander as provided in 33 CFR 1.05-1(e)(1)(i).

[USCG-2007-27887, 72 FR 45902, Aug. 16, 2007]
Old 10-06-2011

Portable anchor light -- that's more my speed. My mast has no wiring or connections. I do have a battery powered camp light (white, all around) that I could hoist up. I only have a MD recreational crabbing license, not a fishing permit. Ironically, I wouldn't need my crabbing license since I wouldn't even bother with more than 10 traps on a sailboat...

S/V Waitara
Venture 21