Top 10 Anchorages on the bay?
If you had to rank your top ten places to anchor on the bay, what would your list look like? Time of year to visit. (Rule:You have to have been there for it to be on your list)
It was hard to do, but here's mine:
1. St. Michaels, Miles River - Anytime
2. St. Leonard Creek, near Grapevine Cove, Patuxent River - Anytime
3. Dividing Creek, Wye East River - Spring/Fall
4. Langford Creek, Cacaway Island, Chester River - Fall
5. Mill Creek, South of Reedville, Great Wilcomico River - Anytime
6. Still Pond Creek, Still Pond - Spring/Summer/Fall
7. Worton Creek - Outside/Summer - Inside/Spring/Fall
8. Rhode River, near High Island - Non Weekend, Anytime
9. Back Creek, Knight Island, Sassafras River - Summer/Fall
10. Corsica River, opposite Ship Pt. - Summer/Fall
Smith creek off the Potomac My personal favorite
Damn chef yours and mine are similar.So I chose a few different ones
1 Langford Creek Cacaway Island on the Chester home of the circus geese in the fall
2 Dividing Creek, Granary Creek, or Shaw Bay on the Wye River lots of Eagles and hawks
3 Dunn Cove off of the Choptank River behind Tillman Island
4 Santo Domingo Creek off the Choptank River, backdoor to St Michaels
5 Warton Creek inside or outside
6 Still Pond
7 Broad Creek on the Magothy inside or outside with the glass house on the hill
8 Turner Creek or Woodland Creek on the Sassafras River for nettle free swimming
9 Clements Creek or Chase Creek on the Severn River for unbelievable houses
10 St Lenords on the Pauxtuxat River
2. Patuxent River,- many spots and Solomons too
6&7...we also like Still Pond & Worton Creek
8. Yes, Rhode River,-near High Island or the bight to port on the way.
9. We like the space on the Sassafras across from Ordinary Point.
10. Yes, we agree with corsica River as a top spot.
......We also like the space next to Dobbins Island in the Magothy,
Breton Bay near Leonardtown, Rock Creek on the south side of the Patapsco, and at St. Mary's College when they have the summer concerts! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
I didnt post Rock Creek and I am sure T37chef didn't either as we both keep our boats here, but yes it is one of our most favorite spots.
Come on. Make this a challenge. Nothing in the cruising guides.
That is the only way such a thread can uncover anything NEW for discussion. Honestly, some of the places listed are near things, but are just plain ugly (San Domingo Creek).
- The creek north of Briary Cove, off Harris Creek. The quietest spot on Harris Creek.
- Just west of James Island, if you've got shallow draft and a south to west wind. Nice beach.
In other words, places that we have not all been. Just a few each.
We have not been to ten different anchorages but my favorite has been Claiborne Inlet in Tilghman Creek (Eastern Bay). It is very small (only about two boats can fit comfortably), a little tricky to get into and the homeowner who waved to us before settling in his hammock to play his guitar made us feel welcome (in direct contrast to the stories I've been reading about Florida).
Oh, this could be a fun list! I'd add these for pretty, undeveloped anchorages:
La Trappe Cr near Cambridge.
Plaindealing Creek near Oxford.
Mill Creek of the Great Wicomico.
I’d add Grays Inn Creek, Queenstown Creek, Hunting Creek, and Swan Creek (spring or fall) to the list.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012